exam results

Options
Glynis
Glynis Registered Posts: 488 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
So how are we feeling. Just over two weeks. I am just waiting for confirmation of my fail in DFS after steves answers.

How is everyone else.
ยซ13456

Comments

• A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Glynis wrote: ยป
    So how are we feeling. Just over two weeks. I am just waiting for confirmation of my fail in DFS after steves answers.

How is everyone else.

Glynis sorry to say this but why so negative all the time you get what you put in i have a bad result its because i didnt work hard enough

Anyway good luck i hope we both do well but if not we pick ourselves up dust ourselves up and work twice as hard next time:001_smile:
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Feel pretty confident about FRA, ECR will be hit or miss tbh.
  • messedup89
    messedup89 Registered Posts: 1,281 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    same here. Confident about PEV but not so much about PCR
  • Glynis
    Options
    Avic

I did put the work in. DFS was unfair in some parts (steve does not appear to agree however). Hencewhy I have failed.
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    easy easy easy easy easy easy easy .........bring it all on !!!! time for ACCA !!!!!
  • A-Vic
    Options
    Avic

I did put the work in. DFS was unfair in some parts (steve does not appear to agree however). Hencewhy I have failed.

Glynis we all had a brand new format this year dont get me wrong its nothing like your exam but in the ECR exam there was a whole question that hadn't been in the last 6 years i did practise and tried my best to learn it but i did mess it up but i didn't say it was unfair for the AAT to put it in it was after all a apart of the sylabus.

Plus if everyone agrees and put the same answer for the DFS well the marking scheme will reflect this
  • Steve Collings
    Steve Collings Registered Posts: 997 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    Avic

DFS did not follow a new structure at all. As I have said before about DFS J09, the paper was anything but unfair! June's sitting was no exception and in my opinion, it was not particularly technically challenging - not for a paper at Technician level anyway.

PQ Magazine also reported that DFS is the easiest paper of the entire Technician level because of its predictability - something which I have reverberated many times over the last few sittings. This is worrying because it is traditional for AAT students to be in uproar when a paper's format suddenly changes. This is the reason why in my revision classes I always advise to study the entire syllabus rather than rely on a paper's predictability because students who "question spot" could be in for a nasty shock!

In my (quite harsh) opinion, you would have to have been seriously unprepared if you fail DFS because June 09 sitting could have been covered by practising past papers alone.

Steve
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Options
    Glynis

Do you have any doubts about failing at all?

Competence doesn't mean producing an answer identical to Steve's and doing it in the exam hall with all the associated pressures. Passing is determined by competence, something that a model answer cannot show.
    In some ways this is something that suits students who attend college classes. By producing homeworks that are marked and returned you can see that there is an area of proficiency between competence and perfection.

Of course, someone can leave an exam room knowing that he or she has failed because he/she has produced poor answers. But someone else can leave in the confident knowledge of producing a good set of answer and knowing he/she has passed. Others remain unsure. This can be particularly tough for those candidates who have taught themselves by reading the books and practicing using questions from the books and from past exams. These people do not necessarily know at what point a paper passes (what some of us might call the lowest level you can get away with and still pass, or the threshold of competence).

If you know you failed, and feel you could have been better, then you've got from now until the first week of December to brush up your skills. And you might as well get going. If you are not sure, you can wait and see.

This is a qualification worth having, so don't expect the exam in December to just repeat an earlier one with different numbers. Competence is a lot more than answering a paper from a previous diet. It demands some thought and figuring out.
    I think the PCR examiner (Tony Stevens) deserves a pat on the back for breaking the mould and providing some very interesting papers. No one would say that these follow the pattern of earlier papers.
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • shawn michaels
    shawn michaels Registered Posts: 52 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    I'm sorry but I found DFS easy and would be very suprised if I fail. Cash flow, consolidated balanced sheet and preparing journals for adjustments, for the final accounts, an IAS to quote and something on IAS 1 and IASB framework in section 2, was everything I expected because it has occured numerous times in past papers. I expect to pass PEV and DFS. Only 2 weeks. How time flies by.
  • Diannew
    Diannew Registered Posts: 2,814 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Glynis

Do you have any doubts about failing at all?

Competence doesn't mean producing an answer identical to Steve's and doing it in the exam hall with all the associated pressures. Passing is determined by competence, something that a model answer cannot show.
    In some ways this is something that suits students who attend college classes. By producing homeworks that are marked and returned you can see that there is an area of proficiency between competence and perfection.

Of course, someone can leave an exam room knowing that he or she has failed because he/she has produced poor answers. But someone else can leave in the confident knowledge of producing a good set of answer and knowing he/she has passed. Others remain unsure. This can be particularly tough for those candidates who have taught themselves by reading the books and practicing using questions from the books and from past exams. These people do not necessarily know at what point a paper passes (what some of us might call the lowest level you can get away with and still pass, or the threshold of competence).

If you know you failed, and feel you could have been better, then you've got from now until the first week of December to brush up your skills. And you might as well get going. If you are not sure, you can wait and see.

This is a qualification worth having, so don't expect the exam in December to just repeat an earlier one with different numbers. Competence is a lot more than answering a paper from a previous diet. It demands some thought and figuring out.
    I think the PCR examiner (Tony Stevens) deserves a pat on the back for breaking the mould and providing some very interesting papers. No one would say that these follow the pattern of earlier papers.

These feelings have been repeated time after time on the forum...after exams have taken place........................what Sandy and others have said in reply is 100% true.....................I failed section 2 PEV December 2008...the only exam I had failed in the three years..............I to felt the paper was "worded " wrong ect ect........................and I was going to appeal....but then I sat down and really thought about it.....I had done past paper after past paper and learnt the formula's off to a "t"......................but to be honest.....I had not learn't what the affects of each formula and variation had on the Companies Account's........once I changed the way I revised.....going back to the books and breaking them all down and understanding the figures and not just repeating them.................I went into the re sit with so much more confidence that no matter what way the question was set...I understood what was required...and I passed.

It's like learning to drive.......we can all turn the stearing wheel and use the gears....but you won't alway's pass your test untill you can read the road and all what is going on around you and how that affects what you do on the road.......................

It is hard when you to fail anything....but you have to pick yourself up...go away and understand where you have gone wrong and keep trying untill you get it............. Good Luck All.
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    You like your "....'s" don't you :001_tt2:

Good luck everyone too :)!
  • lork
    lork Registered Posts: 97 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    I agree with Steve - the DFS paper was anything but unfair. I was actually slightly disappointed that it wasn't very challenging (apart from the low-mark wordy questions in section 1 which required you to think a bit) and was identical in layout and question style to numerous past papers.
  • mark130273
    Options
    looking at the comments about the DFS paper im thinking im so glad that i had that paper out of the way and idnt have to do it this time !
  • Moseley_21
    Moseley_21 Registered Posts: 59 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    I am the same Mark i did mine in December, i am awaiting results on the business tax, costing and budgeting papers. To be honest i am only really nervous about business tax results!! Fingers crossed!! :-)
  • Glynis
    Options
    Steve I strongly object to your implication that I was unprepared.

I worked very hard for DFS and it is a fraught time for students. Understandibly you found the paper easy but a lot of others found it confusing and unfair! I was surprised at your harsh comment.
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Sorry Glynis but every other poster on this thread has agreed with Steve, saying that the paper was perfectly fair.

Instead of stressing and worrying about it why don't you just wait until the results actually come out and try and enjoy the rest of the summer (if you can call it that!)
  • A-Vic
    Options
    Glynis can i ask what way did you study? College or Self?? not that either are any better or worse but it seems maybe if you found anotherway of study it might help you a little better mybe even some private tution one on one i know its a little expensive but if like me you value this qualifcation as much as you apear too it may be a way forwar (bearing in mind you haven't had your results yet?)
  • mark130273
    Options
    Sorry Glynis but every other poster on this thread has agreed with Steve, saying that the paper was perfectly fair.

Instead of stressing and worrying about it why don't you just wait until the results actually come out and try and enjoy the rest of the summer (if you can call it that!)

summer ????you are joking aint yah......

p.s. did dan help you out then with your curry night !!!
  • A-Vic
    Options

And what on earth are you doing on here you should be at hospital having that baby tut :001_tt2:
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    All the flippin curry did was give me heart burn!

Even the twinges have stopped now, rather than trying to get out I think baby is going back in!
  • Steve Collings
    Steve Collings Registered Posts: 997 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    Steve I strongly object to your implication that I was unprepared.

I worked very hard for DFS and it is a fraught time for students. Understandibly you found the paper easy but a lot of others found it confusing and unfair! I was surprised at your harsh comment.

Hi Glynis,

You have taken my comments the wrong way! I was certainly not implying that you were unprepared for the DFS exam. I was saying that any student who fails DFS J09 would have been unprepared. The reason I am of that opinion is because the J09 paper essentially covered topics that had been tested in previous papers. As past paper practise is a fundamental aspect of revision then one would assume that the candidate would be familiar with the topics being tested.

I completely understand that this is a fraught time for students, but I cannot (and will not) change my mind about the paper - and it would seem most tutors of DFS agree with me (PQ Magazine). It was not ambiguous and we will have to disagree on this point. The only thing I will say was that if you and your fellow students all feel the paper was unfair and ambiguous, then this is more likely to be a tuition provider issue which you should take up with them rather than pinning the blame on the DFS examiner or the AAT. Pinning the blame on the DFS examiner or the AAT is the only unfair aspect of this debate!

Regards
    Steve
  • messedup89
    Options
    some people get things others dont and visa versa.
    People can revise like crazy and still get nowhere as certain things just wont sink in no matter what or who teaches them.
    Skimple :)
  • A-Vic
    Options
    Now that i dont believe i think learning at any point can be done by anyone. Not saying everyone enjoys it but at some level everyone can
  • mark130273
    Options
    some people get things others dont and visa versa.
    People can revise like crazy and still get nowhere as certain things just wont sink in no matter what or who teaches them.
    Skimple :)

strange how sometimes it just does not sink in !
  • messedup89
    Options
    not sure wish bit u disagree with?
  • messedup89
    Options
    strange how sometimes it just does not sink in !

its true
    At my A levels i had 3 a/cs tutors and 2 business tutors try and explain to me about preference/ordinary, issue shares etc and it still wouldnt and hasnt sunk in.
    I know its in DFS (will sit it in Dec)
    Just hoping my kaplan tutor can finally get it thru to me! :confused1:
  • mark130273
    Options
    its true
    At my A levels i had 3 a/cs tutors and 2 business tutors try and explain to me about preference/ordinary, issue shares etc and it still wouldnt and hasnt sunk in.
    I know its in DFS (will sit it in Dec)
    Just hoping my kaplan tutor can finally get it thru to me! :confused1:

hey good luck with that........its all fun fun fun !!!
  • messedup89
    Options
    after 5 tutors believe me i dont find it fun :glare:
  • cs_1988
    cs_1988 Registered Posts: 231 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Yeah tbh i found DFS pretty easy, when everything balances it's a good indication. I am waiting on DFS PEV and PCR results, the only one i am not sure about is PEV, i didnt revise because i found it easy, came to the night before the exam and realised i had forgotten everything lol. But a few hours later i was fine!!!

Looking forward to the ACCA, going to college will be amazing, i think i should be used as an example for people who dont think they will be good at home study. If you leave everything untill the last minute it gets very stressful. I ad two weeks too read three textbooks and go through the past exams this time!!!

Just unit 10 and the skills tests to get done by the end of august now....yawn

:cool2:
  • mark130273
    Options
    after 5 tutors believe me i dont find it fun :glare:

only 5.......wimp...............

the first year at (and i dont mind mentioning it) Wirral met college in birkenhead,conway park, we took three different part to the course and in the 9 months we had the course we had a total of 8 tutors.........anyone wanna top that ...
Privacy Policy