Personal tax - your thoughts?

Options

Comments

• GGG
    GGG Registered Posts: 11 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    As for confidentialy question I personaly said I wouldn't pass the info as all the client's info is confidential. However, i was happy to get my cousin phone number for her and she could call him. Also i said that if she wants me to pass her phone numebr I would need proper letter of authorisation to file with all my documents just in case. Anyone agree?
  • chrislloyd
    chrislloyd Registered Posts: 24 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Ive totally mucked up on capital gains on section2 i think

1. got 70000 for bungalow
    2. around £154000 for land

are these wrong?
  • lewpylew
    lewpylew Registered Posts: 216 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    For the rental question I had 9 months @ £800 & 1 month @ £8000 = £8000. The figures may be wrong as cannot remember! I then took off £1600 as bad debt, and then calculated the 6% on the 10 months that the property was let.

For the other one I took off the WTA of 10% which was the rental income less the council/water rates of £1400.
  • mrspnut
    mrspnut Registered Posts: 70 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Cyfarthfa wrote: »
    Yeah I did that, but what did you calculate the 6% commission on??

I calculated it on the actual rent that should have been received and then took off the irrecoverable rent after I'd calculated it.
  • Cyfarthfa
    Cyfarthfa Registered Posts: 62 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I did it on rental income, but put a note on bottom saying it was calculated on that as wasn't sure if he wanted it empty for jan and feb or just couldn't find any tenants.
  • Jointy
    Jointy Registered Posts: 78 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    dobbieobby wrote: »
    I did it on rent x 12 x 6% =

Anyone else??

me to wasnt sure if to do it on net rent after bad debts but decided to do it on gross got £432.
  • lewpylew
    Options
    chrislloyd wrote: »
    Ive totally mucked up on capital gains on section2 i think

1. got 70000 for bungalow
    2. around £154000 for land

are these wrong?

Chris,

I got £70,000 for the bungalow too. As he never let it out I treated it as a straight chargeable gains questions - proceeds minus cost = £70,000 : )
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Jointy wrote: »
    me to wasnt sure if to do it on net rent after bad debts but decided to do it on gross got £432.

reconise these figures
  • Cyfarthfa
    Options
    lewpylew wrote: »
    For the rental question I had 9 months @ £800 & 1 month @ £8000 = £8000. The figures may be wrong as cannot remember! I then took off £1600 as bad debt, and then calculated the 6% on the 10 months that the property was let.

For the other one I took off the WTA of 10% which was the rental income less the council/water rates of £1400.

Oh no - not another mess up - did the rent change from £800 to £8000?
  • A-Vic
    Options
    Chris,

I got £70,000 for the bungalow too. As he never let it out I treated it as a straight chargeable gains questions - proceeds minus cost = £70,000 : )

ooo another i got the same
  • lewpylew
    Options
    I did it on rental income, but put a note on bottom saying it was calculated on that as wasn't sure if he wanted it empty for jan and feb or just couldn't find any tenants.

See I thought this as it did not specify how the commission was paid! Should have written a note and a smiley face like I normally do!!
  • Claire321
    Claire321 Registered Posts: 209 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    dobbieobby wrote: »
    I did it on rent x 12 x 6% =

Anyone else??

I did it on rent x 8 months x 6
  • lewpylew
    Options

No sorry that's my dumpy fingers - think £8k was the total for 10 months! Sorry x
  • A-Vic
    Options
    i also missed putting the 31st jan and relised just as i walked out of the room, they hid that well in a question
  • Sally
    Sally Registered Posts: 69 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options

So you did get 12months rental income and 2 of these as irrecoverable then.. thank goodness. I calculated the 6% commission on the 12 months rent he/she had received although as property vacant for 2 months not sure!?
  • lewpylew
    Options
    What did you do re accommodation benefit in 1.1?

I think I took annual value then worked out £125,000-£75,000X6.25% and added them together. Took off the contribution costs....! I hate that formula and literally read it as I left home to walk to college!
  • Claire321
    Options
    Sally wrote: »
    So you did get 12months rental income and 2 of these as irrecoverable then.. thank goodness. I calculated the 6% commission on the 12 months rent he/she had received although as property vacant for 2 months not sure!?

I assumed that the agent would deduct their commission from the rent actually received from the tennants?
  • Sally
    Options

No wonder they did a bunk!!!!
  • talinka
    talinka Registered Posts: 45 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Hi, on benefits in kind question how was the amount for the flat calculated? How do you treat the household expenses she paid?
  • Claire321
    Options

I think I took annual value then worked out £125,000-£75,000X6.25% and added them together. Took off the contribution costs....! I hate that formula and literally read it as I left home to walk to college!

I think I had the same but for a moment I couldn't remember if an expensive property was over £75,000 or £175,000 - luckily I went with £75,000!

Its silly the little things you panic you can't remember
  • Ed1
    Ed1 Registered Posts: 51 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options

I did that, but also added 20% of the furniture value.
  • Jointy
    Options
    No sorry that's my dumpy fingers - think £8k was the total for 10 months! Sorry x

i think they did a bunk in oct and nov and it was empty dec jan & feb and then new tenants in march

so i got 9 x 800 = 7200

bad debt 2 x 800 = -1600

commision 6% x 7200 = 432
  • Claire321
    Options
    Ed1 wrote: »
    I did that, but also added 20% of the furniture value.

I added that too (forgot about that until you mentioned it)
  • Cyfarthfa
    Options
    Sally wrote: »

I put 10 months rent and then as allowabe expenses 2 months bad debt. The other 2 months Jan and Feb it was empty so no rent due.
  • A-Vic
    Options
    talinka wrote: »
    Hi, on benefits in kind question how was the amount for the flat calculated? How do you treat the household expenses she paid?

i so need to read up missed this also it should have been 20% on annual value or something like that for funiture
  • Claire321
    Options
    talinka wrote: »

I added the household expenses to the taxeable benefit but then deducted as she had paid/contributed but not sure if you had to actually show the addition and deduction?
  • GGG
    GGG Registered Posts: 11 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Jointy wrote: »
    i think they did a bunk in oct and nov and it was empty dec jan & feb and then new tenants in march

so i got 9 x 800 = 7200

bad debt 2 x 800 = -1600

commision 6% x 7200 = 432

I did the same:
    8*800=6400
    less 2*800=1600
    1*800=800
    less comms (432)
    total:5168
  • talinka
    talinka Registered Posts: 45 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    It was 20% on furniture, however she contributed 100 each months towards it, so I deducted that from 20%*cost. But I did ignore the household expenses.
  • Jointy
    Options
    I thought the employee contribution was against furniture

furniture £8000 x 20% = £1600
    employee contn £100 x 12 = -£1200
    benefit £400
  • Sally
    Options
    I put 10 months rent and then as allowabe expenses 2 months bad debt. The other 2 months Jan and Feb it was empty so no rent due.

I cant remember now!!! i had to write the months down along the side of the page to count up months of occupancy so if i've got this wrong after that ....i'm rubbish!!
Privacy Policy