Personal tax - your thoughts?

Options

Comments

• Claire321
    Claire321 Registered Posts: 209 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    carolyn wrote: »
    Does anyone know if I got the wrong benefit figure in task1.1, then the rest of the tasks will be wrong. how do they mark this? will they give me zero?

They should award marks for the workings and each stage of the question, so you should be able to pick up some marks even if you end up with the wrong answer and you don't need 100% to pass
  • C2XVT
    C2XVT Registered Posts: 62 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    What did you guys get for the Benefits in 1.1?

Mine was showing benefits from accomodation only, no other benefits other than those related to accom?
  • Cyfarthfa
    Cyfarthfa Registered Posts: 62 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Sally wrote: »
    Think it was a straightforward disposal from the pool but i seem to remember the numbers i had were not round figures....ended in 1 i think.

mine wasn't round, i think the cost was something like 29,999.99 so i rounded up to 30 or something like that
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    what is the percentage passrate? is it 75%
  • Jointy
    Jointy Registered Posts: 78 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    jnrmo wrote: »
    the shares should have been i think he
    bought 10000 shares @ £5
    he got bonus shares of 1 for every 20 shares
    he sold i think was 6000 shares

so the 10000 shares cost £50000
    bonus shares of 500 cost £0

10500 shares costing £50k

50000 / 10500 * 6000 = £28571 which is the cost price

he got some thing like £54000 for the 6000 shares

proceeds - £54000
    cost - £28571
    Gain - £25429

il second that
  • mrspnut
    mrspnut Registered Posts: 70 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    How about the woodworm riddled antique - 6000 - 15300 loss of 9300 .... i think? Any other answers

I took off the purchase commission from the purchase price before using the notional 6000 proceeds.
  • jnrmo
    jnrmo Registered Posts: 14 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Jointy wrote: »
    thats if proceeds are more than 6 but cost is less than 6

cost were more then £6000 proceed were £4000 it had cost him more to purchase the table.
  • Claire321
    Options
    A-Vic wrote: »
    what is the percentage passrate? is it 75%

I did asked Paul Bowen, the AAA deputy exams manager at a recent branch event and he said the pass mark required is on average 60%, however you do need achieve comptency in both sections of the paper.

I have also heard that the pass mark for the DFS papers is one of the highest which can be as high as 70%.

I wonder if the pass mark might be a little higher for this paper as most people seem to have found it not too bad ans they are supposed to adjust the pass marks accordingly
  • mrspnut
    mrspnut Registered Posts: 70 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    C2XVT wrote: »
    What did you guys get for the Benefits in 1.1?

Mine was showing benefits from accomodation only, no other benefits other than those related to accom?

That was right, only rateable value, expensive property and the use of the furniture (less her contribution).

The other benefits were exempt (phone, loan and employers pension contribution) and the household costs she paid herself so not considered.
  • Sally
    Sally Registered Posts: 69 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Cyfarthfa wrote: »
    mine wasn't round, i think the cost was something like 29,999.99 so i rounded up to 30 or something like that

think my figures were the same as JRNMO... how can people remember all this stuff???
  • Jointy
    Options
    cost were more then £6000 proceed were £4000 it had cost him more to purchase the table.

I ment because you did the 5/3 formula thats only if proceeds are more than 6 and costs are less than.
  • A-Vic
    Options
    i included the isa but put as nil just to see if it managed to get another point lol
  • jnrmo
    Options
    think my figures were the same as JRNMO... how can people remember all this stuff???

lol its suprising how everything comes back to you once you walk out the exam hall!!!

i know i've messed this exam up like the pension being calculated from june and the rental income figure. i just hope by some miracle i manage to pass this exam. the tutor in my college that taught person tax was rubbish. if you didnt understand something she'd just repeat what she said before but a bit louder!!!
  • Sally
    Sally Registered Posts: 69 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Does anyone know when the papers for this and DFS are on the website?? I really want to see the ECR paper as well, am so relieved i sat that in June. Most of those who sat it are up in arms that it was so different.
  • Jointy
    Options
    Messed up on the list price thing, I thought that was what would have had to be paid so said she would have pay 3k towards it to make it 22k and then her company would allow it.

Based my calcs on it

Hopefully il get some marks for it and it wont matter too much.
  • Claire321
    Options
    i included the isa but put as nil just to see if it managed to get another point lol

My book stated to state that something is exempt in an exam so I'm hoping that will be a valuable mark too!
  • A-Vic
    Options
    lol its suprising how everything comes back to you once you walk out the exam hall!!!

i know i've messed this exam up like the pension being calculated from june and the rental income figure. i just hope by some miracle i manage to pass this exam. the tutor in my college that taught person tax was rubbish. if you didnt understand something she'd just repeat what she said before but a bit louder!!!

my tutor sounds simular your not in NW are you lol
  • Jointy
    Options

me too they all count ;)
  • jnrmo
    Options
    my tutor sounds simular your not in NW are you lol

lol no am in BFD. i wouldnt normally check my answers after the exam but i seriously getting this horrible feeling i've messed it up because of the dates and the 5/3 rules when to use it.

all it'll mean is that i'll have to sit 3 exams in june instead of 1 DFS exam!!!

i really hope i just lose 1 mark for the dates and that 5/3 rule.

i dont normal try to worry about the exam once its gone because there's nothing you can do about it but am just ganna hope the examiers a bit relaxed when they mark the exams.

heres to hoping eh!!!
  • A-Vic
    Options
    i hope i get the same marker lol still in shock from last year lol

Well i think ive earned an indian or chinese for tea
  • C2XVT
    C2XVT Registered Posts: 62 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    What about the previous years loss year from rent in section 2?

Were you supposed to take off the loss in the computation or the rental income part?
  • jnrmo
    Options
    the loan for the car that was taxable wasnt it?
  • A-Vic
    Options

Were you supposed to take off the loss in the computation or the rental income part?

i deducted off computation, right food am off byeee
  • jnrmo
    Options

yeh when you worked out the assessable amount you needed to take off loss from previous years (i totally forgot about the loss which is another area i hope i just lose 1 mark for that)
  • lewpylew
    lewpylew Registered Posts: 216 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Yep I believe so but I forgot! oops
  • carolyn
    carolyn Registered Posts: 28 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    the loan for the car that was taxable wasnt it?

I think so. But others said it was exemption. I wonder....
  • Claire321
    Options

I had it as taxeable so not sure now?
  • Cyfarthfa
    Cyfarthfa Registered Posts: 62 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Claire321 wrote: »
    I had it as taxeable so not sure now?

Is that is 1.1? It was under 5k so exempt
  • safrica
    safrica Registered Posts: 106 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options

It puzzled me for a while as well...at first, I thought it was exempt as under £5000, but it was provided from 1st July so I worked out the equivalent for the whole tax year would have been £5,333...so decided to include it in my benefits....bur really don't know now...I just did that because I found strange there was only one benefit in total (flat), so when re-checking I had not missed something, I spotted that....maybe over-thinking ???
  • jnrmo
    Options
    Cyfarthfa wrote: »
    Is that is 1.1? It was under 5k so exempt

dam your right there i just checked if the loan is £5k or less then it is exempt!!! there goes another mark!!!
Privacy Policy