No one should fail aat exams

Options
13»

Comments

• RowanB
    RowanB Registered Posts: 158 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    blobbyh wrote: »
    Assessing employability on something that happened six, twelve, eighteen months previously is fairly discriminatory as person A may have improved more than person B in the time since the exam or B has deteriorated more than A. Therefore, if you're going to positively discriminate on grades, it's a better indication to offer an employment exam at the same time on the same day - maybe at second interview stage - to see how the candidates currently match up and how much knowledge has been retained/attained as opposed to what was once learnt and may now be forgotten.

LOL. Great logic Blobby! It's so discriminatory giving people higher grades for getting better marks isn't it? I don't even know why they bother awarding people credit for passing, because that's really prejudiced against those people that averaged 10% in their AAT exams 3 years ago, and are now much better, and capable of scoring 90%!

[/sarcasm]

Have you got any more inane ideas to share with us? The pilot/ driver analogy is my personal favourite. :)
  • Primble
    Primble Registered Posts: 734 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    RowanB wrote: »
    LOL. Great logic Blobby! It's so discriminatory giving people higher grades for getting better marks isn't it? I don't even know why they bother awarding people credit for passing, because that's really prejudiced against those people that averaged 10% in their AAT exams 3 years ago, and are now much better, and capable of scoring 90%!

Have you got any more inane ideas to share with us? The pilot/ driver analogy is my personal favourite. :)

Rowan, why do you always take the bait? If you were a fish and i'd caught you i would be in a magazine holding you up.

Thought you were better than all this now.

FACT: People pass when they deserve to. I didnt put enough time in last year. now i am resitting in june
  • RowanB
    Options
    Primble wrote: »

FACT: People pass when they deserve to. I didnt put enough time in last year. now i am resitting in june

I was being sarcastic.
  • Marga
    Marga Registered Posts: 981 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    bla blah blah children you had your play time

can we have now an adult conversation about AAT grading scales or PASS./FAIL debate?
  • RowanB
    Options
    I wish we could Marga, I really do. It's so annoying. I thought this was an interesting topic, but people have to lower the tone with personal comments like 'village idiot', 'knob head' etc. I'm not personally offended, but these crass remarks stifle sensible discussion.

As I say Marga, I think there might be a case for giving exceptional AAT graduates extra credit for their achievements through the introduction of a grading system as you say, and the pilot/ driver analogy is a blatent fallacy that doesn't refute your suggestion at all.
  • stevef
    stevef Registered Posts: 258 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Returning to the original debate, passing an exam, whether a good pass or a scrape through, does not necessarily make you a competant Accounting Technician. Passing an an exam shows that at the time you passed the exam you had acquired sufficient knowledge to pass. It shows that you have the ability to acquire knowledge and reach an academic standard that indicates potential to be competant. Competancy comes from practical experiance and keeing up to date through CPD. So, 60% is as good as 80%, it is what you do with that pass that is important.
  • RowanB
    Options
    I think one of the biggest reasons AAT qualified individuals are appealing to employers is the extent to which the qualification attests a potential employee's capacity to learn and develop and their commitment to a career in accounting. Hypothetically, an appropriate grading system and assessment process could be introduced to distinguish AAT graduates that demonstrate exceptional ability and potential, but I don't believe the current examinations and simulations are designed to positively discriminate beyond the level required to pass. The current grading system is appropriate for the current AAT assessment system.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    This was indeed an interesting conversation and if you also found it so Rowan, then why has your only contribution so far towards it being ridicule towards the posts made by other people generally and myself in particular? You were called 'village idiot' and 'knob head' because so far that's all you've been since you became active on the forums a few weeks ago. Setting yourself up as the forum crybaby has been your only tangible achievement to date and nearly all of your posts have been argumentative. You accuse others of sycophancy yet constantly seem desperate to achieve some form of acceptance by befriending people like Glynis despite having no idea of why she has also been 'vilified' on these threads. Like her, you are your own worst enemy yet constantly blame others for your failings.

It's clear you don't like my comments but many others do and even if you don't, I'll live. No-one apart from yourself (and Glynis) has accused me of bullying and while I have a forthright way of posting, I am anything but a bully. However, cry babies will always see bullying even where there is none, borne out of their own paranoia. The way you have stalked me around me around the various threads, posting sarcastic comments after mine reflects more upon yourself than it does upon me, highlighting your abundant inability to post anything constructive towards whichever discussion you're hijacking. You're probably a big deal in your own social circle of college friends and colleagues and I have no doubt the fact that you're not on here is contributing to your frustrations and deep rooted envy of others. Welcome to the big world.

If you have nothing worthwhile to offer, please stay off the threads and turning them into your own pathetic meanderings.
  • blobbyh
    Options
    Hmmm. Just as I posted this I saw that you have actually posted something worthwhile but can also see you are busy replying to me. Expect more BS here soon.
  • blobbyh
    Options
    This must be a long one, Rowan.
  • Rachey
    Rachey Registered Posts: 589 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Wow, I'm enjoying these inane pilot/ driver analogies. I think the obvious point is, an accountant that can perform tasks with perfection is probably better than one that completes them with less accuracy, hence the logic behind Marga's advocation of graded AAT awards. Maybe it should just be pass or fail, but these laughable pilot/ driver comparisons don't refute Marga's suggestion.

This was your first post Rowan, before any of the 'name calling' started. As you can see, you described people who were trying to help as being 'laughable' This would of course be upsetting to the people who have tried to help, and i believe the comparisons were valid and helpful.
    I wish we could Marga, I really do. It's so annoying. I thought this was an interesting topic, but people have to lower the tone with personal comments like 'village idiot', 'knob head' etc. I'm not personally offended, but these crass remarks stifle sensible discussion.

As you can see from your first quote, you can see why i think this is hypocritical. You state that you think it is an interesting topic and you are annoyed and wish we could go back to topic, however you initially upset people and caused the diversion.

I hope you see my point and i can assure you there'll be no more arguing from my side. It seems to have got personal between you and Robert so i'll leave you be now and carry on working (unfortunately!!)

Have a lovely day everyone.... :-)
  • RowanB
    Options
    This was indeed an interesting conversation and if you also found it so Rowan, then why has your only contribution so far towards it being ridicule towards the posts made by other people generally and myself in particular?

I was ridiculing what I see as a blatant fallacy. If you state something that is deceptive and flawed, then people might want to refute it. I can't help thinking you're just throwing your toys out of the pram because someone's disagreeing with you. To be brutally honest, a constructive debate is impossible if nonsensical ideas can't be opposed.

You were called 'village idiot' and 'knob head' because so far that's all you've been since you became active on the forums a few weeks ago.

I seriously resent these insults you keep directing at me. What have you called me now? 'Arse*ole', 'village idiot', 'knob head'. Just grow up Blobby. We're trying to have a debate on here, but you're stifling it by throwing personal insults about. I haven't been here two weeks. I've been here since May 2008, and made plenty of good contributions.
    Setting yourself up as the forum crybaby

As usual, you are simply playing cards. If someone is offended by you, you play the crybaby card. I am perfectly vindicated in making complaints about your persistent insults and slanderous attempts to conflate my identity with that of another forumite so that you can demonise a single entity, as if more than one person having an issue with you is unthinkable.
    has been your only tangible achievement to date and nearly all of your posts have been argumentative.

Absolutely laughable. What is wrong with arguing exactly? You are probably the most argumentative person on here, which is fine.
    You accuse others of sycophancy yet constantly seem desperate to achieve some form of acceptance by befriending people like Glynis despite having no idea of why she has also been 'vilified' on these threads. Like her, you are your own worst enemy yet constantly blame others for your failings.

lol. I blame other people for my failings? I don't even know what you're on about. I have to go. Don't have time to reply to the rest in detail, but what you wrote is just waffle. You just make judgemental assessments of people and use whatever unsubstantiated nonsense you can come up with to try and belittle them.
    You're probably a big deal in your own social circle of college friends and colleagues and I have no doubt the fact that you're not on here is contributing to your frustrations and deep rooted envy of others. Welcome to the big world.

Of course you have no doubt about that because that perception of me sits ever so comfortably in your bubble, but who really has time for your heavily assumption-based attempt at character assassination? I also love your notion that this forum embodies 'the big world'. Speaks volumes that you perceive it that way.
  • blobbyh
    Options
    You are indeed a tw@t of the highest order Rowan. Yep, unabashed name calling this time so go hit that 'Report' button again.
  • RowanB
    Options
    Look. This has just descended into a playground scrap. I think it's best for everyone that I don't comment on any of Blobby's posts, which I won't from now on.
  • RowanB
    Options
    Rachey wrote: »
    This was your first post Rowan, before any of the 'name calling' started. As you can see, you described people who were trying to help as being 'laughable' This would of course be upsetting to the people who have tried to help, and i believe the comparisons were valid and helpful.

As you can see from your first quote, you can see why i think this is hypocritical. You state that you think it is an interesting topic and you are annoyed and wish we could go back to topic, however you initially upset people and caused the diversion.

Never mind. They're just cry babies.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Never mind. They're just cry babies.

hang on pot callin kettal there :lol:
  • RowanB
    Options
    Well done Vic.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    well come on you asked for that
  • Gonghead
    Gonghead Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    I passed dfs in june. Did loads of study, lots of past exams questions, covered all bases and am fairly certain i would have got most of the exam correct. A colleague took it in Dec. Hes young, very casual about college/ study and as far as i can tell didnt start revising until less than 2 weeks before the exam. Now, hes either an exceptional talent, or did just enough to pass. But pass he did, and therefore we are both equals in terms of exam passes, and the deal is, we are both competent, apparently...

I went into that exam confident, as one should do. With about 6 weeks of evening study, lots of past exam questions over and over again, then really one shouldnt fail. Dont ask me to sit it again though, as i would prob not pass, or perhaps i might just bluff it enough to pass, maybe like my colleague.

I really hope the computer based exams dont come in for Technician, as he re did a few several times at intermediate I believe. Blimey, sit one of those every week and you are bound to pass eventually, surely...

So, yes, no one should really fail an aat exam.

And yes, a pass is a pass, regardless of what '%', or how many times it was taken.

I dont often post, but do enjoy reading these threads, as it is amusing to see how some can get so worked up. I wish i had as much time and inclination to respond as some seem to have, as when i get going i can be a wind up merchant like the best of them. But, alas, I cant get too excited about all this accountancy type banter.

Chill out, indulge in some love and peace, and youll realise that its all much too serious to be serious about...Ive just passed Technician, so that's what im gonna be doin.

Love from the planetgong...
  • timgriff
    timgriff Registered Posts: 55 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Wise words gonghead, we should all get some perspective. The interweb is just not worth getting your knickers in a twist about - remember it's only glorified teletext with flash video & a few extra sprites here or there.... If controversy floats your boat then MSE forums are the way to go... I can personally recommend the 'vent' section if you like a bit of drama.

Anyhow better get back to unit 18 now - business tax zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • James Cristiano
    James Cristiano Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 48 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Direction of this thread...

Dear AAT forum users

It has been brought to our attention that this thread has offended at least one of our users.

Can i please ask that the general tone of this thread be 'mellowed down', so to speak, otherwise we shall have to remove it.

Please remember, different people have different thresholds of what they would consider to be offensive. If in doubt, please 'go without'!

Kind Regards,
    James, AAT Web Team
Privacy Policy