Interview help

Options
Glynis
Glynis Registered Posts: 488 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
I have secured an interview with a firm of accountants for a role. No thanks to the absolutely useless agencies!
Can someone offer me some tips on what to do at the interview. The role involves some tax but I have not really dealt with that before but should be easy to learn.
ยซ13

Comments

• Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    First of all, good luck and well done Glynis. Hopefully it works out for you.

It might be wise to do some reading up on tax before you go in in that case, to show you have an interest in it.

Be polite at the interview (well, duh!), try not to tell them you leave your previous work, because your employer/ manager/ etc is crap, but because you want a new role/ things etc.

Be calm, stay focussed and look neat. Be sure to answer the questions, but take your time thinking about the answers if needed.

Hope that helps,

Rinske
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Hi Glynis

Congrates on landing the interview as i work in an accountants and we deal a lot with tax id advise you read like rinske said on current tax legislation also try remember TB and basis periods also learning a tax computation would go greatly in your favour.

If in anyway you can relate your current role with this one would be an advantage. Try this link for basics for self assessment:-

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/SA/complete-tax-return.htm

good luck
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I would add to really have a think about the type of questions they may ask and have prepared some answers, mainly strengths and weaknesses etc as that seems to be one that always comes up.

Good luck
  • Steve Collings
    Steve Collings Registered Posts: 997 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    Good luck for your interview. My advice is not to be negative in any respects in the interview - even if you are asked why you want to leave your current role. Do a lot of research on the practice and always have some questions to ask them as well.

Kind regards
    Steve
  • Marky Astra
    Marky Astra Registered Posts: 45 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    I found in the interviews ive had that the employer always asks you personally if you have any questions, i always try and ask a question even if i know the answer because its much better than not asking a question at all, or you could just say 'no you've explained everything very well' which they will be happy with haha.

anyways good luck in your interview, let us know how you get on :)

Marcus
  • lmiddleham
    lmiddleham Registered Posts: 71 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    A friend of mine has been to a couple recently

They both liked the question "what are the plans for the business this year, and beyond"

It might also be worth asking about how your performance will be reviewed.

I've always been advised NOT to ask about pay as well. Maybe it makes you come across as only in it for the money (rather than the pleasure?!)

Good luck
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I always think that a good strong 'hello/good morning' and 'goodbye' are very important too; remembering to politely make eye contact with everyone at both the beginning and end of the interview.

They act as an excellent introduction/conclusion, not just a wander in and wander out!!!

Good luck Glynis!

A x
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • Rachey
    Rachey Registered Posts: 589 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    When's your interview Glynis?

This is probably quite obvious but is sometimes missed... remember to smile and shake their hands!!
  • anniem
    Options
    Rachey wrote: ยป
    When's your interview Glynis?

This is probably quite obvious but is sometimes missed... remember to smile and shake their hands!!

I didn't put it in, because I thought it was obvious ... good point though, I shouldn't have assumed that it's obvious to everyone!!!!!!
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Theres been a lot of good points. All I can think to add is to imagine you are the interviewer, what would you be looking for?
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I find a good question to ask is:

"How would you like to see me progress in your organisation?"
  • Marga
    Marga Registered Posts: 981 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    I find a good question to ask is:

"How would you like to see me progress in your organisation?"

i was thinking about something like that

asking about if training is needed how this will be done shows both being proactive and eager to learn
  • Glynis
    Options
    I had my interview yesterday and was quite surprised at how condesending they were. They kept repeating "this is an assistant manager post. What experience of management do you have?" Eeer my CV is in front of you!
    Fingers crossed for tomorrows decision.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    lol goodluck
  • LeeS2009
    LeeS2009 Registered Posts: 1,515 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Glynis wrote: ยป
    I had my interview yesterday and was quite surprised at how condesending they were. They kept repeating "this is an assistant manager post. What experience of management do you have?" Eeer my CV is in front of you!

Hi Glynis, thats just a tactic employed...anyone can in theory lie on a cv but they are obviously looking for someone who knows his/her own importance to the role or company and are comfortable in telling them.

Good luck!!
  • Rinske
    Options
    Good luck Glynis, let us know what news you get tomorrow!

I know people can lie on their CV's but sometimes it would be nice if they assumed you didn't instead of questioning everything!
  • LeeS2009
    Options
    Rinske wrote: ยป
    Good luck Glynis, let us know what news you get tomorrow!

I know people can lie on their CV's but sometimes it would be nice if they assumed you didn't instead of questioning everything!

Yeah i guess but its not a fluffy pillow contest its an interview, and the interviewer has a job to do as well as the intervieweeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

All the same best of luck Glynis
  • Rinske
    Options
    Would be nice if it was an actual fluffy pillow contest as a job interview...
  • Rachey
    Options
    If any of you are actual 'interviewers' then i think you should consider the above the next time you're recruiting......
  • LeeS2009
    Options
    If any of you are actual 'interviewers' then i think you should consider the above the next time you're recruiting......

whats that rachey baby?? fluffy pillows??
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options

When I've interviewed I would want the person to explain with examples their experience. Especially if you have more than one strong candidate you'd really scrutinise everyones experience.

Good luck for tomorrow!
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    They kept repeating "this is an assistant manager post. What experience of management do you have?" Eeer my CV is in front of you!

If that was being repeated to me by the interviewer I would be considering whether I had applied for a job I had insufficient experience for..
  • Rachey
    Options
    whats that rachey baby?? fluffy pillows??

Haha yes! An interview that involves a fluffy pillow fight! A 'team building exercise' maybe???
    If that was being repeated to me by the interviewer I would be considering whether I had applied for a job I had insufficient experience for..

My thoughts also. They might have wanted examples of where you've shown leadership techniques.
  • anniem
    Options

Just how hard can 'fluffy pillow' interviews be ??????? Don't know where you'd stand in a discrimination case as the result of a 'fluffy pillow' interview ?????

Good luck Glynis - assuming that you still want the job after the interview? I've been for an interview before now and thought that I didn't want it even if it was offered as they were complete dingbats!

PS. How would one dress for a 'fluffy pillow' interview???????
  • LeeS2009
    Options
    Haha yes! An interview that involves a fluffy pillow fight! A 'team building exercise' maybe???

Yes Rach.....fair play hun you are just as bloody nuts as the rest of us!!
  • LeeS2009
    Options
    PS. How would one dress for a 'fluffy pillow' interview???????[/QUOTE]

How would "one" dress???? who are you Queen Annie!!! take that plum out of your mouth lol.....

and i guess if we are goona go right off the wall with a fluffy pillow interview, then why would "one" (lol) have to dress anyway????

but its getting a bit to kinky now which is where Di comes in :lol:
  • Diannew
    Diannew Registered Posts: 2,814 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    PS. How would one dress for a 'fluffy pillow' interview???????

How would "one" dress???? who are you Queen Annie!!! take that plum out of your mouth lol.....

and i guess if we are goona go right off the wall with a fluffy pillow interview, then why would "one" (lol) have to dress anyway????

but its getting a bit to kinky now which is where Di comes in :lol:[/QUOTE]

No comment LOL
  • anniem
    Options

but its getting a bit to kinky now which is where Di comes in :lol:

No comment LOL[/QUOTE]

Hey, this is an interview = best impressions 'one' would like to think (even if in a teensy weensy negligee or french maid outfit)!

Oooooooo kissy wissy
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options

As would I Dean..

Glynis, this is your first job in practice and you're applying for an assistant managers position? Are you sure that's obtainable?

What experience do you have in practice? Have you prepared a full set of accounts? Are you comfortable with all the accounting standards? Have you even been on an audit (let alone able to review an audit file?!)

I don't mean to sound harsh but it sounds like (from your previous posts etc) that you've applied for a job way above your head. Appologies if i've got the wrong end of the stick and it's not a job in practice you're applying for.
  • Glynis
    Options
    Where has all this come from that I have lied on my cv? That couldn't be farther from the truth! I am in charge of the accounts at work so that should count as managerial does it not?

I have not worked in practice before but at my age you are not going to start at the bottom!
Privacy Policy