Interview help

Options

Comments

• AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Glynis wrote: ยป
    Where has all this come from that I have lied on my cv? That couldn't be farther from the truth! I am in charge of the accounts at work so that should count as managerial does it not?

I have not worked in practice before but at my age you are not going to start at the bottom!

I never said you have lied on your CV.

Unfortunatly the bottom is exactly where you'd need to start if you are joining practice, regardless of age. Unless, as i said above you know all of what's considered basic things a manager should know about statutory accounts and audits.
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Hihi, noone said you lied, we just turned part of the thread into a general discussion about CV's and interviews.

Have you heard anything yet? Any good news?
  • Glynis
    Glynis Registered Posts: 488 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    I have rung them but the woman says they will be in touch! ill try again later.
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options

Good Luck Glynis!
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Good luck!
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options

Glynis a small peice of advise dont keep ringing them they might see you as over baring they will contact you i know its fustrating but trust me when weve held interviews and canderdates have continuosly rang it has put us off them
  • Yestin
    Yestin Registered Posts: 83 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    I couldn't agree more. DON'T CALL THEM!
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Sorry Glynis but like others have said regardless of age you will have to start at, if not near, the bottom when moving sectors. Everyone advised you of this on another thread.

And don't hassle them by ringing them. Did they give you a closing date? If so then once the closing date has passed it might be worth contacting them and asking where you went wrong so you can improve in future interviews (as positvely as possible!).
  • Rachey
    Rachey Registered Posts: 589 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    Where has all this come from that I have lied on my cv?

Nobody said that.

You said that they kept referring to it being an assistant managers position and said about them having your CV infront of them.

We were saying that from an employers point of view, CV's are often 'tarted up' and they need to ask questions that you may have included already in your CV but they NEED asking!!

Sometimes you can't fit your entire experiences on your CV so another reason they ask the obvious is to give you the chance to elaborate.
  • Glynis
    Glynis Registered Posts: 488 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    I had a call back from them at lunchtime to say that my experience isn't appropriate for the post they are recruiting for! Errr so does 26 years in an accounts environment count for nothing these days? They then had the audacity to say "you would be welcome to apply for a more juniour role which may be more appropriate for your skill set". I was horrified to say the least. I told them quite sharply I would consider it.
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Rather than looking at what they are offering you, look at what you offer them. You have come to them with a lot of experience with one set of accounts but no practice experience.

If you are offered that junior role I would snatch their hands off - you can always work your way up!
  • anniem
    Options
    . I told them quite sharply I would consider it.

Oh dear Glynis; I'm sorry that you didn't get the job, but I do worry about how you dealt with the poor person who had the horrid job of ringing ALL the unsuccessful applicants!!!

They really were trying to make the best of a bad job and you have been very ungracious.

At the moment there are so many very qualified people, often over-qualified for the post they are applying for, so they will probably have been in the position of being able to pick over a very select bunch, you have done well to get to interview. It is always disappointing not to be selected, but your 'sharp' retort will have done nothing for your future prospects with this company, just left a bitter aftertaste for you both.
  • PGM
    Options
    anniem wrote: ยป
    Oh dear Glynis; I'm sorry that you didn't get the job, but I do worry about how you dealt with the poor person who had the horrid job of ringing ALL the unsuccessful applicants!!!.

This is a good point. We recently needed another person, so went back to the candidates from the previouse group. To one in particular who had thanked us for the chance to interviewing, and was very keen to be considered for any future positions.
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Sorry to hear you didn't get the job Glynis, but consider the more junior role and if you really want to progress in practice, grab it, as it's a step in the door!

Because practice and industry are quite different, it's quite hard to get into practice if you don't have experience, however swapping over from practice to industry usually gives a big pay rise!
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I love it when I am right. :)
  • Gem7321
    Options
    You should definitely apply for the more junior position and then if you're successful you can wow them with all your managerial skills
  • Jan
    Jan Registered Posts: 654 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    Glynis, as others have said it is very different working in practice than it is in industry, and Rinske has hinted that the pay is lower too. I too have worked in industry for a long time and a few years ago got the chance to work in a practice - albeit to do the bookkeeping for the clients with a chance to do accounts. I'd just completed my AAT so thought I had some idea what I was doing, but faced with a pile of receipts, and so called bookkeeping from the clients wife I was completely lost! I'm not saying you would be, but you would be expected to hit the ground running and as a manager to help out the junior staff. Do you think you could cope with the stress of that?

I think you have really got to reconsider working in practice, unless you are able to take a massive pay cut (I'm assumimg here that as you are the Accounts Manager in your present job you are on a good wage). If you did get a junior role, how would you feel being managed by a much younger person? Your previous posts don't suggest you'd cope very well.

Is it the job you are unhappy with at the moment, or where you actually work? If its the place why not try for other Accounts Manager roles eleswhere? You have the experience, and now the qualifications.

As ever, good luck in whatever you decide. Life has a habit of working out whatever we try to do.

Jan
  • anniem
    Options
    Jan wrote: ยป
    faced with a pile of receipts, and so called bookkeeping from the clients wife I was completely lost!

This is completely true - you can be presented quite literally with a 'bin bag full of paper' and asked to sort it all out. I have a couple of chaps I do book-keeping / quarterly VAT returns for and they are quite good, but I have also been in a practice and been presented with carrier bags of tickets to sort out and make sense of (from a pub in the old days when smoking was still allowed and the paper all stank of cigarettes - yuk).

I have to say it's one of those jobs you either love or hate; sad muppet that I am I love unravelling the mysteries - unless all the tickets smell and make your hands stink too.
  • Gem7321
    Options
    when smoking was still allowed and the paper all stank of cigarettes - yuk).

Eurgh I hate them!
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I had a call back from them at lunchtime to say that my experience isn't appropriate for the post they are recruiting for! Errr so does 26 years in an accounts environment count for nothing these days? They then had the audacity to say "you would be welcome to apply for a more juniour role which may be more appropriate for your skill set". I was horrified to say the least. I told them quite sharply I would consider it.

Hilarious!

Your threads are like a sitcom. You should turn them into a script for the next series of 'The Office'.

You could be David Brent's replacement - you sound extremely qualified for that role!

:)
  • anniem
    Options
    Hi Glynis

I wonder if it is worth considering going on some management and communication training in order to assist you with future job applications?

Have you had an appraisal at work recently, and is it worth speaking with your line manager to see if something suitable can be arranged to assist you.

It seems apparent that you could do with more support in this area to help you move on.
  • Gill Gittings
    Gill Gittings Registered Posts: 121 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    This thread is unbelievable. Glynis are you for real? You get turned down for a job which is obviously over and above beyond your capabilities, you still get the opportunity to go into a firm and yet turn your nose up at it!
    You have gone on for months and posted hundreds of threads "FAO Steve" about getting into practice, get the chance and then squander it.
    If I was steve I wouldn't take any more notice of your threads because I think you are either playing a game or you are just like an x Factor wannabe!
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Glynis, you are an unappreciated goddess amongst accountants, shamefully not recognised for your world class skills of sensitivity and tact. If only Lehman Brothers had heard of your talents before they crashed, the global recession could have been stilted, third world poverty made a thing of the past and that truly dreadful situation with your auditors avoided.

Expect a James Cristiano post sometime here soon.
  • Poodle
    Poodle Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    Hi Glynis

I wonder if it is worth considering going on some management and communication training in order to assist you with future job applications?

Is this the modern PC version of "anger management"? :)

Anyway, I thought that you were off of work due to stress Glynis, are you feeling better? The job interview would not have helped your situation and having suffered from stress in the past myself, I tried some odd things as well, not a job interview mind, but in the end I discovered that the only way to start to feel better was to actually rest and switch off from any form of a working environment.
  • PGM
    Options
    Poodle wrote: ยป
    I discovered that the only way to start to feel better was to actually rest and switch off from any form of a working environment.

I'd like to try that for preventative stress management.
  • anniem
    Options
    Poodle wrote: ยป
    Is this the modern PC version of "anger management"? :)

I was trying to put it more tactfully and diplomatically so that Glynis would seriously consider training and guidance!

I really think she needs all the help available.
  • Poodle
    Poodle Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    I was trying to put it more tactfully and diplomatically so that Glynis would seriously consider training and guidance!

I really think she needs all the help available.

I totally agree hense the smiley
  • Yestin
    Options
    I can't wait for the next interview, this thread has been VERY entertaining.
  • anniem
    Options
    Yestin wrote: ยป
    I can't wait for the next interview, this thread has been VERY entertaining.

See, I knew there was a purpose .....
  • Yestin
    Options
    Now, can you all please help me? I want to apply for the head of finance job at HSBC....I have my AAT and 4 years experience and I will NOT take a more junior role!!! Any advice?
Privacy Policy