Is it worth continuing?

Options
13»

Comments

• mark057
    mark057 Registered Posts: 354 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Mutual respect their Sandy.

I'm always happy to listen to somebody else's opinion even if I differ to agree.

Mark
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I agree with you both in some respects. Offering yourself for free without explaining the advantages to a potential employer, on the face of it merely looks self indulgent. There will inevitably be a training cost attached to the employer - time - but if you're only willing to offer services to your own personal advantage and not theirs, why should they hire you? If you also lack experience - which you no doubt will or you wouldn't be doing it - there may also be an added cost of correcting your mistakes. Again, unless it's an unusually benevolent employer, why should they hire you if they don't particlarly need you?

I also don't like the thought of offering services for free as this could show a potential employer your own lack of confidence and ability in yourself, never mind theirs. In our everyday lives we all have the feeling that you "get what you pay for" and if it's free, we can expect no real confidence by return. It then becomes a risk and one that could cost more a great deal more than free in the longer term.

If you're young enough, maybe you could advertise this as a personal internship? Don't work for free but try instead for a modest wage with limited hours, emphasising how you can benefit their business. Sadly, this probably won't apply to older people though and it's not a discrimination thing, it's a reality thing.

As for the ludicrous suggestion of stopping AAT training until the job market stabilises again, would you stop football academies taking people on even though only 1% may become professional? If you're talented enough it'll probably work out okay, if you're not then you won't but you certainly can't legislate for it. That's just life.
  • exam panic
    exam panic Registered Posts: 157 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Yes you can do but if you go to college you have to follow college pace . I did aat for 2 years as well but I did not do foundation .
  • mark057
    mark057 Registered Posts: 354 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Being paid to perform of role is obviously what I want and what I'm looking to do.

It's simply a question of not being able to find paid employment in a very competitive jobs market. I've been to job interviews in the past with gaps in my employment history, having been unable to find work, and have received negative feedback for seemingly not doing any sort of work in the time I've been looking.

This is simply a catch 22 situation because some may view voluntary work in a positive light because you have shown initiative and endeavour to build your CV in preparation for the paid market. Others may view it as negative because they take a cynical or suspicious attitude as to why you wanted to volunteer in the first place because human nature dictates people never do something for nothing concerning work, or we work to subsist and not to follow a passion or an ultimate career ambition.

The organisation I volunteered for had a very good financial set-up and had a chartered accountant heading the department. I learnt a lot from the accountant and the role and this was far more beneficial than staying unemployed.

I think I even remember a piece in one of the AAT technician magazines which gave advice to those wanting to get that first vital experience in accountancy. The piece pointed voluntary work out as one avenue to explore.

Personally I've never seen voluntary work as a lifestyle choice but rather as a necessity due to the difficulties of finding paid work. I will find paid work eventually but I'd much rather be practicing accountancy and enjoying my profession, even if in the short-term, I'm not paid than not doing anything at all.
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Options
    Mark
    Here is some advice.
    October starts at the end of the week.
    Are you interested in accountancy practice or accountancy in a business or just don't know?

I would expect the accountancy practices in your neighbourhood will start to pick up work, and be flat out during January.
    Why don't you check this out? My statement is clear. I'm either right or I'm wrong.
    As you investigate, I reckon there will be practices near you that
    1. do not allow staff to go on holiday in January
    2. bring in retired staff to deal with the workload

Following this train of thought, staff who normally do mundane tasks will be drafted on to the more straight forward tax returns just to help with the pressure. Others will be slogging through carrier bags of shop receipts etc for small firms who left everything to the last minute. So who will be doing the mundane stuff? I guess it'll be left until Feb, but if they had a young man in now to learn the lay of the land, then when the rush comes he'll be there to do those jobs that get left behind.

This might not suit you, but I hope you can take something from it. Look at the problems of the places where you want to work, and approach them to show how you can help make the problem smaller.
    And when one takes you on, show them exactly how good you are. How much they'd miss if they let you go when the rush is over.
    There will be holiday leave to cover, maternity breaks etc and who would be the man to put in at the bottom to allow the others to move up into the vacant positions?
    And eventually, either they'll have a permanent vacancy or their competitors will.

Find out about the business you want to work for and make yourself the answer to reduce their problems.
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Totally agree with Sandy here as far as small accountancy firms are concerned

Our busyest times of year are (november december january - Tax Season) (March April May - Payroll comencement and new year) Also always towards the end of the months VAT Returns always get left till last min during these times.

Worst times to apply :- July August September - things cool down and its mainly when we take our block holidays.

a few tips

Learn as soon as possible there filing system and if you work there try set up a new system easyer to use but your system.

Learn tax offices, newcastle - payroll, Wolverhampton - VAT, Bolton Salford Newcastle again and your own local tax office addresses and telephone numbers also - worth researching

i will add as i can think more
  • katie2008
    katie2008 Registered Posts: 294 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    mark057 wrote: »
    I'm polite and courteous with everybody I deal with in a professional capacity.

I've just shared a personal experience of agencies and am not insinuating my experience is the same as everybody else.

Mark,

I hope you didnt think that I called you inpolite.

It was not meant to be read that way. All I meant was that another student (who appears to me to be a tad inpolite) slates agencies on a regular basis, and then 10 days after the latest slate, asks for info on how to get a job with agencies. The post was totally directed at another student member, and not at you!

Sorry for any misunderstanding :)
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I wonder how she's getting on? Still, not too long to Sunday night now, ready for the next episode.
  • katie2008
    katie2008 Registered Posts: 294 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    blobbyh wrote: »
    I wonder how she's getting on? Still, not too long to Sunday night now, ready for the next episode.

Your not the only one who is ready. A nice crisis brightens up my week!
  • Londina
    Londina Registered Posts: 814 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    blobbyh wrote: »
    ready for the next episode.

you are lucky, it's Friday today
Privacy Policy