Snow 2010/11!

13ยป

Comments

• steveJ
    steveJ Registered Posts: 694 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Ok, so day 2 at home!

Estimated snowfall (and still falling) 5-6 inches !!

I set off on Tuesday for my normal 1 hour drive to work at around 6.30am... didnt get into work until 10.45 !! Tried again yesterday, but got halfway along the motorway and i felt as if i was inside a giant Icelandic, frost laden, life threatening ... snow globe !

So, i got up same time this morning and have found more delays on the motorway, airports shut and people stranded......

Wearing three pairs of socks and think ill have another coffee !!

Hows everyone else finding the commute ? If you do not make it how does your company treat your day off ? still get paid ? take as holiday ?
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Good luck indeed! With the interview and the moving. Hopefully the cold won't go through.

We got snow, it looks lovely and so far we got four colleagues in in our finance office (out of ten). Two of them are whinging that they had to get in or would not get paid otherwise and that it's not fair the company forces you to take a holiday if you don't get in due to the weather or otherwise that the day is unpaid.

Am I missing something? We got send home for snow in January and that was paid, but those that didn't even make it in, lost a days holiday or had a day unpaid. I think thats normal, but according to their whinging it was not on that they were forced to take a day holiday.
  • BeccaLouJ9
    BeccaLouJ9 Registered Posts: 896 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    We FINALLY have our proper(ish) snow in south Devon!!

Less than an inch on the ground but it is there!

Took me twice as long to get to work this morning, but wasn't too bad! Hopefully it stays snowy so I can play in it when I get home! If we can't make it in, we treat it as a days paid holiday, so not too bad!

Feel really bad for the people that are having all this trouble with commuting and getting stranded etc, however I am slightly envious of knee deep snow! You always want it, until you get it, so I shouldn't really complain too much!
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    steveJ wrote: ยป
    Ok, so day 2 at home!

Estimated snowfall (and still falling) 5-6 inches !!

I set off on Tuesday for my normal 1 hour drive to work at around 6.30am... didnt get into work until 10.45 !! Tried again yesterday, but got halfway along the motorway and i felt as if i was inside a giant Icelandic, frost laden, life threatening ... snow globe !

So, i got up same time this morning and have found more delays on the motorway, airports shut and people stranded......

Wearing three pairs of socks and think ill have another coffee !!

Hows everyone else finding the commute ? If you do not make it how does your company treat your day off ? still get paid ? take as holiday ?

I havent been home since Sunday! As you probably read I have had a complete nightmare this week!
  • jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    We FINALLY have our proper(ish) snow in south Devon!!

Less than an inch on the ground but it is there!

.......... however I am slightly envious of knee deep snow! You always want it, until you get it, so I shouldn't really complain too much!

Ha ha ha so true! We live in one of the highest parts of Sheffield and it was knee deep yesterday morning.It snowed a lot again yesterday pm and it's snowing again now :sad: not ventured outside yet today so can't be sure if dome much more damage.

Apparently the main roads have improved and buses are running on some routes, our problem is we live at the end of a cul de sac and with knee deep snow we simply can't get the car out. We thought about trying to dig our way out, maybe if each house cleared a bit we'd manage it but its quite a narrow road and with cars parked on either side so there's nowehere to put all this snow, and we'd have to dig the next road out too before we got to a road that looks reasonably clear.

We can't get to our office as no buses running there either and have postponed our trip to the lake district tomorrow. However looking out over the moors is a beautiful scene, well it is when we can see them and it's not snowing a blizzard lol

And just as I posted this the snowflakes have a got a lot bigger lol
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    jilt wrote: ยป
    we live at the end of a cul de sac and with knee deep snow we simply can't get the car out

Similar to you, we live at the end of a 2 mile long lane; just us and the next door neighbour, plus theres a fairish big hill - obviously they don't grit down dead-end lanes with two houses at the end.

Problem now is that the oil delivery that was due today can't now get through; 'he' only checked the oil at the weekend, we've now run out and are surviving with the log fire and the immersion for hot water! SOD'S LAW IS ALIVE AND KICKING IN OUR HOUSE!
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    anniem wrote: ยป
    Problem now is that the oil delivery that was due today can't now get through; 'he' only checked the oil at the weekend, we've now run out and are surviving with the log fire and the immersion for hot water! SOD'S LAW IS ALIVE AND KICKING IN OUR HOUSE!

OMG I know how you feel, last year our bolier packed in over the new year, we just had an ineffective gas fire for 4 days. On new years eve we sat in sleeping bags watching tv while our 3 cats fought for the best spot in front of the fire!

BTW where do you live? Sounds like a lovely spot, when it's snowing that it
  • Rozzi Rainbow
    Rozzi Rainbow Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    jilt wrote: ยป
    we live at the end of a cul de sac and with knee deep snow we simply can't get the car out. We thought about trying to dig our way out, maybe if each house cleared a bit we'd manage it but its quite a narrow road and with cars parked on either side so there's nowehere to put all this snow,

Same here, I haven't been able to get the car out all week. Luckily I can walk to work so I don't have any commuting/not getting paid problems, but it was hard work getting through the estate in knee deep snow! We have a severe weather warning here in the North East technically from 10am to 6pm but it's already snowing hard!

The snow does look lovely on all the hills though, just wish it wasn't so disruptive.
  • jenny3549
    jenny3549 Registered Posts: 472 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I know it's a pain for all the commuting (and especially for the exams being cancelled!!) but I have to admit, I am really jealous. We haven't had a single flake here at all. Watching the news is very strange.

I want some snow! (But not til after my exam on Monday!)
  • Rinske
    I love the snow, it's not that much here and for now it still looks lovely.

It's just a shame that our heating is frozen.
  • Marga
    Marga Registered Posts: 981 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Rinske wrote: ยป
    I love the snow, it's not that much here and for now it still looks lovely.

It's just a shame that our heating is frozen.

no much snow here , it snowed last night again but it was only a drizzle however 30 min drive from where i live roads are closed cause of the ice

dont want snow at all .....want my 25C degrees back!
  • Rinske
    25 degrees and snow? Just as a compromise?

It's freezing outside and it seems to have stopped snowing for now, but without proper heating in the office it does feel very cold.
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    A few flurries this morning but apparently it's been quite bad again just a bit further west of here.
  • anniem
    25 degrees and snow? Just as a compromise?

It's freezing outside and it seems to have stopped snowing for now, but without proper heating in the office it does feel very cold.

There is a minimum working temperature - but I don't know what it is! Unless you work somewhere like a butchers I suppose :)
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    google is king - 13 degrees Celsius
  • Rinske
    Withour meaning to complain about my workplace, but they don't stick to that. And you can say that they should, but this place doesn't like people complaining.

Monday we were absolutely frozen, as the heating didn't work, there is no insulation at all in the office (metal walls and roof) and on Monday morning it was just as cold inside as it was outside after two days without any heating at all on. Today is the same as Monday, but I had this nice little electrical heater behind me since Tuesday, which kept me nice and warm, but this afternoon my manager decided to move it to the middle of the room, which leaves me with a cold draft on my back.

The office is huge with ten people in it (it laid out very wide and you could easily fit more people in it), and it's currently heated by two small electrical heaters and one small electrical heater downstairs next to the stairs to stop the draft from the door and that's it.

I just make myself lots of cups of tea and stand at the radiator in the other room while the kettle is getting to boil. I got fingerless gloves, so I can keep my hands at least a little warm and I'm wearing three layers of clothes with my outdoors scarf to keep me warm. We got 6 people in in our office in total today, as the rest decided to stay home because of the snow and most expected to be send home early, if it wasn't for the snow, then at least because the heating was frozen again, but by now they gave up on it and instead are just complaining a lot at the moment about not being allowed to go home early and I can't help but thinking that I was the only one that managed to get in in time and I'm not complaining.

I am now in doubt whether to stay home tomorrow and say it's because of the cold, which means a day unpaid and a lot of complaints afterwards or to go in and sit another day in the cold. The problem is that it won't be solved anytime soon and I don't have any holiday left to plan in.

Anyways, sorry for the long post and rant. I shall be good again and be positive and try to explain my colleagues again how much fun snow is! So far I explained them when it was snowing that that was good, because we can have more snowball fights and that we should start making a snowman outside in our break and I got looked at like I was a complete nutter (well, I am!).
  • anniem
    Maybe you should buy a thermometer? They are breaching your rights if it is 13 degrees or less (thanks A Vic and google!).

Problem is when you work in an office and sit still you feel the cold even more than if you were racing around!

2 more posts and I'm 1000 - but that's still not as many as chatterbox!!!!! You know who you are :lol:
  • JaffasGirl
    JaffasGirl Registered Posts: 387 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    was just looking at this website
    http://www.hse.gov.uk/contact/faqs/temperature.htm

says the temp should be 16 c unless your work requires severe physical effort. in which case it is 13c.

perhaps you should print of this page and leave it on his desk? lol just for his information of course :D
  • Rinske
    I might just buy one and take it in with me and hang it next to my desk.

Thanks for this. I printed the site off and will keep it at my desk, so that when I have a thermometer, I can point it out to them.

Anyways, sorry for the distraction away from the snow here. Didn't mean to turn it into a rant!
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I might just buy one and take it in with me and hang it next to my desk.

Thanks for this. I printed the site off and will keep it at my desk, so that when I have a thermometer, I can point it out to them.

Anyways, sorry for the distraction away from the snow here. Didn't mean to turn it into a rant!

Or buy your own fan heater and point it right at you.

I felt like this sitting the last 2 exams at Preston North End. Heating seemed to be broken, luckily on the second day they got fan heaters in, one of which was right next to me.

Forecast is for more days of snow around here, we escaped the worst of it here in the NW last time, not sure what I'm hoping for this time around!
  • Rinske
    We are supposed to get snow over the weekend. I think it's great if you still need to do Christmas shopping, as there won't be anyone in the stores, but then, would the stores be open???

Anyways, I do hope we get some snow, but do hope my flight on Christmas eve won't be delayed/ cancelled for it, so as long as it is clear that day, I'm happy! The more snow the better to be fair... But that's coming from someone who never got snowed in yet...
  • BeccaLouJ9
    We are forecast snow for tomorrow-starting at lunchtime! I'm a little excited at the prospect of some flakes, but realisticly I'm ready for the rain! Us down south are used to boring weather!
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    We have it now :(
  • PGM
    A-Vic wrote: ยป
    We have it now :(

Same here, although not forecast for a lot in the NW.
  • jenny3549
    jenny3549 Registered Posts: 472 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    We finally have snow - after watching the rest of the country suffer for weeks, it has at last hit South Wales! Five inches overnight and still snowing. The whole place looks like a winter wonderland - bit of a scary drive in this morning though, council didn't bother gritting even the main roads.
  • BeccaLouJ9
    I take back all the wingeing about not having any snow here!

We have had an hour of it and already I want to cry!!! Took me and hour to get into work- normally takes just under 20 minutes! I skidded into the work car park, into a bush, had some men standing there laughing at me, a dog the size of a bear as another obstacle and just general slllloooow driving the whole way here!

Bring back the rain and clouds!
  • Marga
    Marga Registered Posts: 981 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    we have forecast snow for tonight and i have a party to go to!!!!

and tomorrow is supposed to snow heavily as well and get about 20-25cm of snow ......but guess what .....I have another party to go to!!!!

I have the tickets to Spain for wednesday so it hopes it doesnt snow then!

I still want my 25C

Marga
  • PGM
    It was good to have a second white Christmas in a row.

Wonder how much more is on the way...
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    we are still knee deep (and then some) in snow and ice.

Tracy
Privacy Policy