ACCA exams

Options

Comments

• C2XVT
    C2XVT Registered Posts: 62 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    I sat F4 and I also have F5 on Monday.
    How did you find it?

I thought it could have been worse, well I was part-expecting it to be worse.

Most of the previous past papers looked to have random content, but this wasnt too bad.

The shares stuff threw me a bit, as did the question on Unfair Dismissal.

What did you make of it?
  • mini_schnauzer
    mini_schnauzer Registered Posts: 347 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    I use Kaplan study texts and the share question re Pre Emptive Rights was not covered at all in my book (well I can't remember ever reading about it) so I had a guess at it!

I think I answered Unfair dismissal ok. I remembered and listed the reasons that are unfair and added reasons for fair dismissal also for good luck too.

How did you find the final 3 scenario questions? Q8 did you allow the brother to be liable for payment or did you use the relationship (Balfour v Balfour) case so he didn't have to pay his sister?

I'm just very glad it is over. I'm going through all the past papers I can at the moment for F5. I wish I had sat June 2010 paper as I got the majority of that right! Never mind, fingers crossed for Monday, then lots to eat and drink over Xmas.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I just did P4, its was mostly Ok. ACCA seem to have this habbit of throwing in the odd really hard bit. Very hard to get a high % pass mark.
  • C2XVT
    C2XVT Registered Posts: 62 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    I use Kaplan study texts and the share question re Pre Emptive Rights was not covered at all in my book (well I can't remember ever reading about it) so I had a guess at it!

I think I answered Unfair dismissal ok. I remembered and listed the reasons that are unfair and added reasons for fair dismissal also for good luck too.

How did you find the final 3 scenario questions? Q8 did you allow the brother to be liable for payment or did you use the relationship (Balfour v Balfour) case so he didn't have to pay his sister?

I'm just very glad it is over. I'm going through all the past papers I can at the moment for F5. I wish I had sat June 2010 paper as I got the majority of that right! Never mind, fingers crossed for Monday, then lots to eat and drink over Xmas.

I used the BPP text book and in fairness the pre-emptive, rights and bonus issue's we all in there.

To be honest i can really remember what the scenario's were now.....if i remember rightly I said they were both liable to pay the ยฃ1000, im not sure how correct that is.

Do you remember what the others were, where did you sit it?
  • Rozzi Rainbow
    Rozzi Rainbow Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    F9 to look forward to tomorrow now!

How did your F9 exam go Richard? I think that might be my next subject I take, what is it like?
    PGM wrote: ยป
    I just did P4, its was mostly Ok. ACCA seem to have this habbit of throwing in the odd really hard bit. Very hard to get a high % pass mark.

PGM, how long are the P level exams, are they longer than the F's?
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Options
    Both levels 15 mins reading time
    and 3 hours exam
    If you are interested you can find this sort of information at http://www.accaglobal.com/students/acca/exams/

Sandy
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • Richard
    Richard Registered Posts: 373 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    How did your F9 exam go Richard? I think that might be my next subject I take, what is it like?

It wasn't too bad thanks.

I quite enjoyed this subject once I had got used to it. Its a 50/50 written and calculation paper, similar in style to F5 if you have sat that exam.

Quite a lot of F9 follows on from some of the AAT papers - NPV, internal rate of return, working capital, etc.
  • Rozzi Rainbow
    Options
    Glad it was ok - it sounds quite interesting thanks.

Thanks Sandy - I had thought they were the same but when we left the exam they told us to go quietly as people were still working - same as in the June exam. I didn't think people were allowed extra time if they started late, which made me wonder if the P exams went on longer.
  • Richard
    Richard Registered Posts: 373 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    when we left the exam they told us to go quietly as people were still working - same as in the June exam.

I've noticed that too! I had a look around on Thursday but couldn't see anyone working.
  • SandyHood
    Options
    Very occassionally there are candidates either in the main exam hall or an adjoining room who have met the ACCA's "special consideration criteria" http://www.accaglobal.com/students/exams/special In these cases some may have been granted a later finish time, so the invigillators will be conscious that they are not disturbed at the normal finish time. It is a relief to finish an exam and some candidates might be tempted to let off steam noisily.
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • Rozzi Rainbow
    Options
    Ah I see, thanks Sandy, I hadn't thought of that.
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    F5 was a very fair paper today I thought...
  • Andypandy
    Andypandy Registered Posts: 526 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    Same here - shame I had a complete mind block on the graph question. Thought I'd leave it untill it came to me, then spent that long waffling about the public sector budgets that I ran out of time:( None of the stuff that I spent ages on over the past month was there, lol. Oh well, don't really mind if I have to do that one again...
  • Rozzi Rainbow
    Options
    Same here - it could have been a lot worse. Question 2 threw me at first with no breakdown as to what to do for the 20 marks, but I left it till near last and got quite into it, had to make an effort not to go over time! Didn't really like question 5 but managed to get some points down, hope they're relevant and can get me a few marks.

I feel a lot more confident about today's exam than Audit! Does anyone know when results day is? I haven't got round to looking it up yet! Thanks.
  • AK002
    Options
    Same here - shame I had a complete mind block on the graph question. Thought I'd leave it untill it came to me, then spent that long waffling about the public sector budgets that I ran out of time:( None of the stuff that I spent ages on over the past month was there, lol. Oh well, don't really mind if I have to do that one again...
    Same here - it could have been a lot worse. Question 2 threw me at first with no breakdown as to what to do for the 20 marks, but I left it till near last and got quite into it, had to make an effort not to go over time! Didn't really like question 5 but managed to get some points down, hope they're relevant and can get me a few marks.

I feel a lot more confident about today's exam than Audit! Does anyone know when results day is? I haven't got round to looking it up yet! Thanks.

I didn't like the subject however the exam was pretty fair and it was 5 large areas that came up this session.

I didn't do the graph question as I knew that was an area I hadn't studied.

The question on performance was pretty decent, it did give you headings to talk about so wasn't that difficult i don't think.

Will wait and see, really scuppered my chances by not learning the graph question...
  • Andypandy
    Options
    Bless you, sure you'll be Ok AK - It was quite a nicer follow-up from Summer's PCR though, wasn't it?
  • AK002
    Options
    Last AAT exams I sat were DFS I think, but it did have similarities to PEV/PCR.

The thing I did notice about this (my first ACCA exam) was the time! I only answered 4 of the 5 and it still took me pretty much all the way up to the 3 hour mark.
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    It's scary time allocation isn't it? You really have to be strict with time and move on when time is up, very different!

I'm sure you'll all be fine, if you work hard and study effectively (as it sounds like you all have) you do get through them.

I have to say I don't miss them at all!!!
  • Andypandy
    Options
    It was my first time too AK!
    Right, what're we all starting on for the Summer exams? Seeing as I'm self-studying, might aswell go along with the majority (so I can pick your brains, lol). Thought F7 might be a good one after DFS was kind of recent??
  • SandyHood
    Options
    My F9 class starts on Thursday February 10th
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • AK002
    Options
    F7 and F8 - subjects I love :-)!!
  • PGM
    Options
    PGM, how long are the P level exams, are they longer than the F's?

Still 3hr 15min. Could anyone last any longer?! :D
  • messedup89
    messedup89 Registered Posts: 1,281 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    AK002 wrote: ยป
    F7 and F8 - subjects I love :-)!!

I've just sat F8 and an F7 resit.

F8 is ok, just lots to remember.

U'd think F7 would be relative easy after DFS - its not!

Hard, Hard, Hard - extremely time pressured.

Sat it yesterday and we had to do 2 consolidated SFPs, 2 consolidated income statements, s SOCE, ratios and analysis (easy part of paper but lenghty) and some standard on Q4 & Q5 worth 25marks between them.
  • PGM
    Options
    I just did P4 & P5.

I found P4 hard, exam paper seemed different to the sylabus, will have to work hard on past papers if I need to sit it again...

But found P5 relatively straight forward!

Fingers crossed I could have sat my last accounts exam! :)
  • Rozzi Rainbow
    Options
    Well done PGM, it must feel good to be so close to the end - good luck for when the results arrive. I'm glad the P level exams aren't any longer, thanks.

I think I'm studying F7 at college next but probably won't sit the exam till December, sounds as though it's a lot to take in by June. Might try and teach myself F9 to take in June.
  • PGM
    Options
    Well done PGM, it must feel good to be so close to the end - good luck for when the results arrive. I'm glad the P level exams aren't any longer, thanks.

I think I'm studying F7 at college next but probably won't sit the exam till December, sounds as though it's a lot to take in by June. Might try and teach myself F9 to take in June.

Thanks, still feel 50:50 about P4.

Good luck with your studies! Just check theres not going to be syllabus changes to F7 if you're not going to sit it until Dec.
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    PGM wrote: ยป
    Still 3hr 15min. Could anyone last any longer?! :D

But don't you find that the quickest 3hrs 15 mins ever? Could do with at least another hour I reckon
  • messedup89
    messedup89 Registered Posts: 1,281 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    But don't you find that the quickest 3hrs 15 mins ever? Could do with at least another hour I reckon

No Way! Unless you had the option to leave early.

Some exams i am rushed for time - like F7 yesterday

Others (like F8 last week) i had 50mins left - would have been nice to be able to leave instead of staring at the clock for 50mins and 2nd guessing myself
  • PGM
    Options

Nope, doesn't seem fast to me. I just find it a gruelling 3hr 15 min.

I'm happy once I'm on the last question and it feels like its going relatively well. Otherwise I find the whole experience very unpleasant. Until you drive away from the exam, feel like a huge weight is off your shoulders!
  • AK002
    Options
    I really really struggled with time (as i think i've said already) only did 4 of the 5 questions and it took the full 3 hours...
Privacy Policy