ACCA exams

Options
13»

Comments

• Rozzi Rainbow
    Rozzi Rainbow Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    PGM wrote: »
    Good luck with your studies! Just check theres not going to be syllabus changes to F7 if you're not going to sit it until Dec.

Thanks, I hope my tutor would know if there were going to be changes .....
    messedup89 wrote: »
    Others (like F8 last week) i had 50mins left - would have been nice to be able to leave instead of staring at the clock for 50mins and 2nd guessing myself

Well done on finishing F8 with 50 mins to spare. I can't believe how much time pressure there is with these exams compared to AAT - I always used to finish the AAT exams in a couple of hours and was pleased we could leave early. Was wondering what I'd do if I finished these early but have since learned that doesn't happen! I've always been able to finish all the questions though, would just have liked another 10 minutes or so to check through everything.
  • mini_schnauzer
    mini_schnauzer Registered Posts: 347 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    AK002 wrote: »
    I really really struggled with time (as i think i've said already) only did 4 of the 5 questions and it took the full 3 hours...

I also did not like Q3 - made sure I answered all the others in great detail and only left myself 1/2 hour at the end to attempt Q3. I showed detailed calculations but totally messed the graph up - but at least I had a go and fingers crossed I get a few points for my calulations!
  • Andypandy
    Andypandy Registered Posts: 526 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Fingers crossed! Not nearly as scared of the exams as as I was before though :) Going to get started on F7 with the Tony Surridge stuff tomorrow ('cos it's loads easier to understand without further expanation than the Kaplan stuff) - getting bored already!!
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Wow you're committed lol!
    What's Tony Surrage?
  • Andypandy
    Andypandy Registered Posts: 526 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    He provides ebook study texts _ more in the AAT style. They're £3 each off his website. See accountasnctystudents for the link
  • Jonno1
    Jonno1 Registered Posts: 63 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    ACCA/CIMA after AAT

After reading this topic of messages, I'm thinking of studying for chartered accountancy after (hopefully!) completing Level 4 of AAT this year. I just wondered how different studying and taking chartered accountancy exams is compared to AAT in terms of :

- overall difficulty;
    - amount of study required (recommended hours per week?);
    - type of study eg whether using maths/quantitative techniques or whether rote learning;
    - whether study can be done by the student themselves or whether attendance at a taught course is helpful.

I already have a University degree (Bachelor of Science), am very-computer-literate in terms of using spreadsheets, can handle figures and large amounts of data very comfortably (bar the difficult maths such as calculus which I haven't touched for 20 years), have AS level statistics, and have a very good memory for facts and numbers. And I am quite academically-minded.

Any advice would be appreciated!
    Jonno1
  • zakira
    zakira Registered Posts: 40 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Hi I have a BSC to in Biochemistry What's your Bsc in?

I'm also nearly completeing the AAT Level 4 and have only the project to do. I am planning to do ACCA after..
  • Jonno1
    Jonno1 Registered Posts: 63 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Hi,
    My BSc was in Transport Planning and Business Studies from Aston University (Birmingham) in 1987. I then did a Master of Philosophy (MPhil) research degree at Leeds University Insitute for Transport Studies straight after this. I'm thinking of entering accountancy for a career change (just to do something different), also I work in a local authority in Research & information and times are hard there at the moment!
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Jonno1 wrote: »
    - overall difficulty;
    - amount of study required (recommended hours per week?);
    - type of study eg whether using maths/quantitative techniques or whether rote learning;
    - whether study can be done by the student themselves or whether attendance at a taught course is helpful.

Not easy to answer that with a short answer...

I found it a considerable step up from AAT, requiring over double the amount of study per exam.

The syllabus is likewise a lot larger requiring more types of study.

I slef taught myself some of the modules but glad I took classes for the final professional ones.
Privacy Policy