General AAT

datkins91
datkins91 Registered Posts: 3 New contributor 🐸
Next week I start my AAT studies and am quite looking forward to it. However, I just wanted to ask about the employability that having the AAT qualification will make me. I have no experience in accounting what-so-ever and only have my A-Levels. Will completing the AAT make me substantially more employable? How difficult will I still find it in securing a job?

Also, any of those who are AAT qualified and won't be studying towards chartered accountancy, what are you reasons for deciding to just stay with AAT and not go any further?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Becky V
    Becky V Registered Posts: 374 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    datkins91 wrote: »
    Next week I start my AAT studies and am quite looking forward to it. However, I just wanted to ask about the employability that having the AAT qualification will make me. I have no experience in accounting what-so-ever and only have my A-Levels. Will completing the AAT make me substantially more employable? How difficult will I still find it in securing a job?

Also, any of those who are AAT qualified and won't be studying towards chartered accountancy, what are you reasons for deciding to just stay with AAT and not go any further?

Thanks in advance!

Hi welcome to the forums. I think with the employment i really think it is luck as so many on here havent found a job in accounts. As for me i was very lucky to find the perfect job within an accounts setting before any experience. I am now studying the level 4 in AAT but dont want to study anymore after that for the time being as im happy in my job and dont feel the need to. I found my job by ringing around all local accountants to see if anyone would take me on to give me experience and for me to see if this was what i wanted. Are you starting at the foundation stage? Good luck with your studies!
  • keane155
    keane155 Registered Posts: 404 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hi datkins91,

I'm studying level four and still haven't found a position in accounts, I don't think that the recession has helped though because there seems to be very few jobs in our area which require no accounts experience. There are a few though, this week there are two in our area, so hopefully things will start picking up...I would advise you to look asap for a position, because the sooner you can gain experience the better. Sometimes companies advertise apprenticeships through college so it may be worth applying for these if they come up.

Good luck.

Emma :)
  • Londina
    Londina Registered Posts: 814 Epic contributor 🐘

Thanks in advance!

I'm recently AAT qualified and quite happy with my job, therefore I'm not going to study any further, I don't need it! I have been working in practice for almost 4 years and if I need to deal with a certain client's situation, I just do some reseach in Tolleys books or HMRC.

My colleagues (ACCAs) and I are doing the same job at the end of the day, therefore by becoming as well ACCA, I wouldn't achieve anything more.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Londina wrote: »
    My colleagues (ACCAs) and I are doing the same job at the end of the day, therefore by becoming as well ACCA, I wouldn't achieve anything more.

Are they getting paid the same?

I don't blame people for not doing it, its a lot of time and effort to put in, if you're not sure of the rewards!
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I always wanted to do ACCA, then I had a baby and realised there's more important things in life! My long-term goal is to be self-employed (only bookkeeping and small accounts) so I can spend more time at home - for that I only need AAT.

I was going to study ATT this year but they cocked up my registration so even though I'd still like to do it, it's not good timing at the moment so I don't know when I'll get round to doing it.
  • Londina
    Londina Registered Posts: 814 Epic contributor 🐘
    PGM wrote: »
    Are they getting paid the same?

I don't blame people for not doing it, its a lot of time and effort to put in, if you're not sure of the rewards!

Actually we do! if the tasks are the same ones (ie. bookkeeping, vat returns, tax returns, year end accounts), they don't need to get paid more than me only because are ACCA!
    Having a title doesn't make you more intelligent than another, it's all based of individual skills and experience.

If their job become more advance than mine, yes, they will get paid more.

Depends what do you want to do for the future, I'm happy with what I got and don't see the need to do any chartered qualification.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I guess it depends on the pay review system you have. Ours looks at qualifications, and over values them from what I exected in comparison to experience.

Another thing with chartered, is you have to want it for more than just the extra money, or else its hard to get motivated on that basis alone.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️

You should also factor in quality free-time levels. With extra qualification will come extra money but often at the expense of your own free time and sanity. If you're paid £60k a year as a finance director there will naturally be more demands on what may have once been your personal time than an accounts assistant on £25k per year. The former won't be paid just for a 40 hour week and no more, they will be expected to function even it takes them sixty or seventy hours a week. With this will no doubt come added stress and an increased inability to switch off when away from work or even on holiday.

You takes your pick as they say.
  • celticghirl
    celticghirl Registered Posts: 20 New contributor 🐸
    hello, another newbie,

been having a wee lurk on the forum over the past week or so, looks like there is some great info and help to be found on here.

I'm working my way through BA1 distance learning at the moment and also work full-time as a finance assistant.

Was wondering if anyone can tell me when and how can expect to receive the results of my BA1 progress test which i posted to Kaplan last week, i've had a look on Kaplan En-gage under all test history, nothing there. Is this where it will be?

Thanks
  • Becky V
    hello, another newbie,

been having a wee lurk on the forum over the past week or so, looks like there is some great info and help to be found on here.

I'm working my way through BA1 distance learning at the moment and also work full-time as a finance assistant.

Was wondering if anyone can tell me when and how can expect to receive the results of my BA1 progress test which i posted to Kaplan last week, i've had a look on Kaplan En-gage under all test history, nothing there. Is this where it will be?

Thanks

Hi welcome to the forums. Kaplan will send your progress test back to you through the post normally within about 2 weeks of you posting it to them. They should give you a percentage of your test and show you where you went wrong (if you went wrong). Good luck!
  • rachy1975
    rachy1975 Registered Posts: 366 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I started studying AAT with no experience or knowledge of accountancy. Because of this i found it very difficult to get any sort of job in an accounts environment so i opted for the next best thing. I went for jobs within a cash office environment. Its not exactly accounts but its finance and money...!!!
    After working in a large retail company cash office for a few months i then started to apply for accounts jobs as i had gained some experience within finance.
    I was successful in gaining employment as a trainee management account role and have just now completed AAT and starting CIMA.
    I dont think they would of employed me if i hadnt of had my AAT qualifications.
  • celticghirl
    celticghirl Registered Posts: 20 New contributor 🐸
    Becky V wrote: »
    Hi welcome to the forums. Kaplan will send your progress test back to you through the post normally within about 2 weeks of you posting it to them. They should give you a percentage of your test and show you where you went wrong (if you went wrong). Good luck!

Thanks for the info Becky, got my results on thursday and somehow managed 99% Well chuffed!
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Congratulations Celticghirl - that's a great result! :D
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Becky V
    That is fantastic well done!! :)
Privacy Policy