Icas help

Becky V
Becky V Registered Posts: 374 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
Hi all, yes im afraid another question on this subject!!!
I have been working hard on this report this morning and almost there but have ran out of things to write about.
This is my first full draft anf i am up to 2959 words but still need some more!!
I am writing about a checklist that we have in place at work and how improvements can be made. I work for an accountant so it is a list that we fill out at the end of preparing the accounts.

Any help would be great i really want to send this off!!

Many thanks :)

Comments

• *Jo
    *Jo Registered Posts: 509 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Hi Becky,

I'm struggling with getting my word count up too and also with motivation to have another go at it.......hence being on here and not doing the project which is what i'm meant to be doing.

For each of the things on the checklist have you done a full description of how you would ensure the thing has been done correctly and the procedures for doing so and how this would alter once the new checklist was in place?

Good luck anyway :)
  • Becky V
    Thanks Jo, i was on such a roll this morning and steaming away at it, then thought everything done except the word count isnt enough!! I am re-reading through it and see what i can alter and such a pain we cant include the appendice as word count. I am determined to get this done! Thanks for reply good luck with yours. What are you basing t on?
  • coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Thanks Jo, i was on such a roll this morning and steaming away at it, then thought everything done except the word count isnt enough!! I am re-reading through it and see what i can alter and such a pain we cant include the appendice as word count. I am determined to get this done! Thanks for reply good luck with yours. What are you basing t on?

The word count is only a suggestion, it's not a target. Provided you've covered everything you should be OK. It's far better to have too few good words than too many waffly words.
  • Becky V
    coojee wrote: ยป
    The word count is only a suggestion, it's not a target. Provided you've covered everything you should be OK. It's far better to have too few good words than too many waffly words.

Thank you coojee! I do feel like i have repeated myself a bit! Perhaps i should send it and see what happens as it is only the first draft! :)
  • coojee
    Thank you coojee! I do feel like i have repeated myself a bit! Perhaps i should send it and see what happens as it is only the first draft! :)

If it's a first draft then definately send it in, you're bound to have to add more to it.
  • Becky V
    coojee wrote: ยป
    If it's a first draft then definately send it in, you're bound to have to add more to it.

Well i have sent my first draft, now just to wait and hear!!!

Does anyone know how long it takes to hear back?
  • coojee
    Well i have sent my first draft, now just to wait and hear!!!

Does anyone know how long it takes to hear back?

AAT guidance states that you should get feedback within 2 weeks of receipt.
  • welshwizard
    welshwizard Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Just a point of 'order' for those who want to test the waters with a draft report.

It is important to know the difference between a draft and a completed document. According to the Chief Assessor for this unit, your first submission must be a completed report not a draft! Therefore, if you have not even attempted to cover every assessment criteria, you could be in danger of not being allowed to resubmit. The two further resubmissions are at the assessor's discretion (according to our assessor's guidance) and not an automatic right. You will also be given a limited amount of time to complete any resubmission.
  • purple19m
    purple19m Registered Posts: 92 Regular contributor โญ
    I am with premier training and was advised to send a first draft before reaching the cost benefit analysis section, which i did and now am about to send a second draft off, which is a full report but i'm aware that even though i have the critera to work from i still may need to make amendments with layout etc.

I have been advised that my third submisson is my final, I have done a lot of research and have spent hours writing and changing layout of mine, i have definately put the effort in and done the best i possibly can so who knows my second draft may be my final!

I waited four weeks for my first draft back as the assessor is getting the reports in in floods, she is definately snowed under, so i don't mind waiting she is doing the best she can.

Good Luck Becky!
  • Becky V
    Thanks for the replys. I was told to send a full draft, so i have tried to cover as much as i can and the criteria. So i am expecting it to come back and have to redo some bits, because i dont believe the first draft will be signed off and that is it, there will be amendments. I was just looking for advice as i dont want to spend hours and hours writing and repeating myself and wasting time.

Good luck with yours purple19m :)
  • *Jo
    Hi Becky,

I'm basing my project on changing the supplier payment system from Cheque's to B.A.C.'s. I'm nearly there now I think.
  • Becky V
    *Jo wrote: ยป
    Hi Becky,

I'm basing my project on changing the supplier payment system from Cheque's to B.A.C.'s. I'm nearly there now I think.

Hi Jo good luck with your project is it ready to be submitted? How have you found it?
  • coojee
    Just a point of 'order' for those who want to test the waters with a draft report.

It is important to know the difference between a draft and a completed document. According to the Chief Assessor for this unit, your first submission must be a completed report not a draft! Therefore, if you have not even attempted to cover every assessment criteria, you could be in danger of not being allowed to resubmit. The two further resubmissions are at the assessor's discretion (according to our assessor's guidance) and not an automatic right. You will also be given a limited amount of time to complete any resubmission.

Well yes, sticking exactly to the letter of the guidance, the first draft should be almost complete but I don't recall the lead assessor saying anything about shutting a student out just because the first draft wasn't complete. The guidance says "a substantial first draft" but doesn't specify what that means so it's up to assessors to use their discretion, as always, to determine whether it is substantial or not. As the lead assessor said, if a student submits a first draft and it's rubbish then they only have 2 more opportunities to submit so they're not helping themselves if they send in rubbish.
  • *Jo
    Hi Jo good luck with your project is it ready to be submitted? How have you found it?

Its almost ready but it has been hellish, mainly because I'm a distance learner so the motivation to study along with things been a bit wonkey in my homelife has been lacking somewhat.

I just need to do my mapping, type up my additional questions (thanks Kaplan *grrrr*) and then i'm about ready to send it off for marking.

How are you getting along now?
  • Becky V
    *Jo wrote: ยป
    Its almost ready but it has been hellish, mainly because I'm a distance learner so the motivation to study along with things been a bit wonkey in my homelife has been lacking somewhat.

I just need to do my mapping, type up my additional questions (thanks Kaplan *grrrr*) and then i'm about ready to send it off for marking.

How are you getting along now?

What is the additional questions? Im with Kaplan as distance learner. I have sent my first draft but it is tough and im the same to get motivated i set myself deadlines or it wont get done! Just waiting to hear back now.
  • purple19m
    purple19m Registered Posts: 92 Regular contributor โญ
    I've just sent my second draft off today and am worried that due to the 10th May (premier training) deadline that it will not get marked and sent back for my final submission in time.

I'm glad i've sent it though as it's on my mind all the time and trying to make time is hard at the moment as moving at the weekend and toddler not well so glued to me most the day and night! Had to one hand type the last bit today!

Think i will phone my mentor tomorrow and see what she says about deadlines so can put my mind at rest or panick one of the two!

I've also gone over my word count but it is all relevant and required to cover the criteria in my view, i've been through it over and over to get it down, but i took bits out and then added bits in to cover criteria! So in the end i thought just send it off and see what feedback I recieve otherwise i will just be changing it forever.

Not long and we're all be completed........roll on the summer fun!
  • Becky V
    Thats exactly how i felt when doing my first draft i was going over and over it and just thought send it then i can see my feedback and then work from there! I have two young kids aswell so know how hard it is! Once you completed the project is that level 4 done for you?
Privacy Policy