paying for standards?

anniebabeanniebabe Experienced MentorPosts: 595Registered
I am being told we need to pay to transfer to new standards, does anyone know if this is correct?

Comments

  • SandyHoodSandyHood Font Of All Knowledge Posts: 2,034Registered, Moderator
    anniebabe wrote: »
    I am being told we need to pay to transfer to new standards, does anyone know if this is correct?

    Who are you being told by?

    No one I have spoken to who transferred, was charged for transferring.
    Sandy
    [email protected]
    www.sandyhood.com
  • anniebabeanniebabe Experienced Mentor Posts: 595Registered
    one of the ladies from the forum has mentioned it to me, and i was not aware of this and not sure if this is true or not, i havent heard of this before. surely they cant charge us for something they are making us do? will have to make enquiries about this one.
  • SandyHoodSandyHood Font Of All Knowledge Posts: 2,034Registered, Moderator
    If that lady is reading this thread, please write down who charged you, and how much.
    If the fee was for something else, rather than transferring, please say what it was for. You can see from Anniebabe's comments, she has interpreted your message as the AAT making a charge to transfer.
    Sandy
    [email protected]
    www.sandyhood.com
  • anniebabeanniebabe Experienced Mentor Posts: 595Registered
    I have received a confirmation email today from Premier Training to say they ARE charging us to transfer to new standards.
  • janwaljanwal Experienced Mentor Posts: 1,189Registered
    I'm sure someone said in a link earlier this week that Kaplan are charging to transfer

    Jan
  • RinskeRinske Font Of All Knowledge Posts: 2,453Registered
    Do you have to take more exams via them for swapping?

    Are they sending you new books for it?

    AAT is not charging you for it, so I find it very weird that providers do, as you already paid for the course, but if it's to send additional stuff like books I can understand!
  • anniebabeanniebabe Experienced Mentor Posts: 595Registered
    @Janwal, yes someone has recently mentioned to me that Kaplan are also charging to transfer. yet I believe that AAT are not charging, so I do not understand how these companies can justify the charge?
  • MonsoonMonsoon Font Of All Knowledge Posts: 4,071FMAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant
    anniebabe wrote: »
    I do not understand how these companies can justify the charge?

    Because you don't have a choice, and they know it.

    Rather mean, if you ask me.
  • anniebabeanniebabe Experienced Mentor Posts: 595Registered
    I totally agree Monsoon, putting it nicely - its disgraceful, money grabbing opportunity.
  • welshwizardwelshwizard Trusted Regular South WalesPosts: 465Registered
    My local college doesn't charge (Barry College in South Wales) and, to be honest, I think any provider that does charge is out of order as the AAT have no fees for transferring from NVQ to QCF - it's just a click of a button to do and not time consuming.
  • amyjayne27amyjayne27 Trusted Regular Posts: 314Registered
    I have to pay £90 for transfer over and I am with Premier Training. It is for the new books and all new material apparently. I am so skint but really need to crack on so I havent got a choice I dont think!

    Amy
  • piratepirate Trusted Regular Posts: 469Registered
    amyjayne27

    Can you not buy the books seperately.
    I was told I had to pay more but its because the new course is more than the old course so they just said the difference. I havent swapped yet as I am waiting for the results of my skills tests.
  • coojeecoojee Experienced Mentor Posts: 794Registered
    amyjayne27 wrote: »
    I have to pay £90 for transfer over and I am with Premier Training. It is for the new books and all new material apparently. I am so skint but really need to crack on so I havent got a choice I dont think!

    Amy

    £90!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's outrageous. At most you've only got one new unit to sit at Level 3 - spreadsheets and to TBH if you know your spreadsheets you don't need the book for this anyway.

    Level 2 - No new material required

    Unit 30 exam = Basic Accg 2 exams
    Unit 34 = Basic Costing
    Unit 35 = Comp A/C's (I know it doesn't exempt you but the material is the same)
    Unit 36 = WEAF

    Level 3 - Only spreadsheets required

    Unit 5 = Accounts Prep 2 exams
    Unit 6 = Costs and Revenues
    Unit 15 = Cash management
    Unit 32 = Professional ethics (Again, I know it doesn't exempt you but the material is the same)
    New unit - Spreadsheets

    Level 4 - Direct unit for unit transfer, no new material

    So to charge you £90 for a spreadsheets book that you don't need is plain greedy. I hope there's someone from Premier or Kaplan reading this who can come on and explain how you justify your charge. Charging for a book if you need it is one thing but a flat charge to all students isn't on. Just a thought, does that fee include the cost of the new assessments? That would be justification as they're quite pricey.
  • piratepirate Trusted Regular Posts: 469Registered
    Hi Coojee,

    On mine they are charging for the difference in the cost of the course ie was £599 now £579 but because I bought them all together and got a bit of a discount I have to pay up to the £599 (not the £579 interestingly)

    then I have to pay for additional materials which she said was Spreadsheets, (although I think I would have to do Professional Ethics not mentioned) and this would be at a cost of £69 for new materials and £16 for delivery. £69 for one module Spreadsheets So a total of £125.

    As I actually only had one skills test to complete I havent moved over and am hoping I pass so that I can just move to Level 4, for which I have already got 4 of the exams and only need to complete the project which they have advised me to do under trhe new standards. If I had known about the differnence in cost I would have tried to complete my project sooner. At the moment then when I move to Level 4 am not sure what I will have to pay for since I have already paid for the tutition for level 4 which I have not yet taken and I have already got the Unit 10 (project book) for the new standards.
    I expect that they will charge me the difference between the price for Level 4 which is now £649 and was £599 but I got a discount for doing it all together so thats £50 without the discount, but they will charge me more and probably £69 and £16 for the P&P rip off I would say.



    Anyway will cross that bridge etc
  • WoooofWoooof Well-Known Posts: 174Registered
    As you are transferring to a new qualification (QCF) the syllabus has most likely changed from the old NVQ standards, so any new materials/books for remaining units are justifiable in my opinion.
  • coojeecoojee Experienced Mentor Posts: 794Registered
    pirate wrote: »
    Hi Coojee,

    On mine they are charging for the difference in the cost of the course ie was £599 now £579 but because I bought them all together and got a bit of a discount I have to pay up to the £599 (not the £579 interestingly)

    then I have to pay for additional materials which she said was Spreadsheets, (although I think I would have to do Professional Ethics not mentioned) and this would be at a cost of £69 for new materials and £16 for delivery. £69 for one module Spreadsheets So a total of £125.

    As I actually only had one skills test to complete I havent moved over and am hoping I pass so that I can just move to Level 4, for which I have already got 4 of the exams and only need to complete the project which they have advised me to do under trhe new standards. If I had known about the differnence in cost I would have tried to complete my project sooner. At the moment then when I move to Level 4 am not sure what I will have to pay for since I have already paid for the tutition for level 4 which I have not yet taken and I have already got the Unit 10 (project book) for the new standards.
    I expect that they will charge me the difference between the price for Level 4 which is now £649 and was £599 but I got a discount for doing it all together so thats £50 without the discount, but they will charge me more and probably £69 and £16 for the P&P rip off I would say.



    Anyway will cross that bridge etc

    £69 for a book that you can
    a) buy yourself for about £20, and
    b) probably don't need anyway if you're OK with spreadsheets.

    At least they're justifying the fee and not just charging all students a blanket transfer fee.
Sign In or Register to comment.