Management Accounting: Decision and Control (AQ2016) Exam

Options

Comments

• SueFW
    SueFW Registered Posts: 84
    Options
    Thank you both for your support I am trying to revise Financial Statements today but I'm really demotivated by whats happened. Do you know anyone whose taken FS? I passed budgeting and yes it was a fairer exam. Good luck with your Financial Statements
  • NatalieSarantos
    NatalieSarantos Registered Posts: 150
    Options
    @Suejw @scamp83 well I just called AAT and had a little go at them. I told them that I have received no email personally regarding this and when could I expect to hear back. They said they're emailing students today because the decision was made on Friday and that they can't disclose any more info right now so if I don't receive any information by 3pm, I'm calling again. I'm sorry but this is an injustice and I will not go down quietly!
    So another college had NO pass rates?! This is insane!!! They better correct this or they are going to have a large number of drop outs.
  • SueFW
    SueFW Registered Posts: 84
    Options
    OMG a college with no pass rates that just shows what an injustice it was! I haven't had an email either so I'm not happy that the training providers have all been informed and not the students. They have our email addresses surely they have the technology to send out a bulk email!!!
  • scamp83
    scamp83 Registered Posts: 86
    Options
    I too am currently studying FS for an exam at the beginning of March.

Good for you @NatalieSarantos! If my tutor hadn't emailed me I would still be none the wiser that there was a problem with the exam, unsurprisingly there is no notification on the website either....
  • Mike Webster
    Mike Webster Registered, Tutor Posts: 203 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hats off to AAT for acknowledging that there could be issues with this assessment and that they will review all not competent results. I think 'having a go' at AAT is unproductive and pointless. AAT should now be allowed to review all available information and assessment decisions and then let everyone know the outcome of their investigation.

Anyone directly affected by this should make representation via the published appeals procedure if, after the review, the outcome is still not what you want to see. If you're unsure how to appeal, your tuition provider should be able to help you.
    Michael JH Webster AATQB FMAAT
  • scamp83
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I thought that the appeals process is limited to ten days after results are received? Would it even be possible to appeal this revised result?
  • NatalieSarantos
    Options
    @Mike Webster it is not unproductive at all. They have to be made aware of how they have affected their students and the severity of the matter. They should not have presented an exam like this and if they were not 100% sure that the 2016 syllabus was fair, they should not have released it. I'm sorry but no. It is just not fair and acknowledging it is simply not enough. Let's see what the answers they come back with.
  • DAS007
    DAS007 Registered Posts: 5
    Options
    Wow, did'nt expect this when I typed this post! Thanks for the feedback, nice to know wasn't just me and it was pretty much across the country! Hopefully AAT will sort it out before to long!
  • scamp83
    Options
    @DAS007 Yup, you're definitely not on your own!
  • NatalieSarantos
    Options
    @DAS007 most certainly not on your own! How many people have passed in your class?
  • scamp83
    Options
    I wonder if we will hear anything today........ :/
  • NatalieSarantos
    Options
    @scamp83 me too! I haven't even received an email directly from the AAT yet. Have you received any info from your training provider?
  • AkateH
    AkateH Registered Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi all,

I have to say, although it has been a really unpleasant experience for you it is almost a comfort to read!
    My college were due to sit this exam for the first time on Monday (30th) and prior to this I had been reading snippets of how different the exam was to the revision material given so had started to panic! This had been the one exam that I was particularly worrying about so to hear on Friday that the exam had been cancelled was a slight relief I must admit...
    I have to agree with what’s been said here though, and, yes credit to AAT for acknowledging that there is indeed a problem BUT you would have thought that countless checks would have been made before releasing the 2016 standards, how it has come to this is a bit baffling!
    We're in a similar situation now where we have started both business tax and financial statements and can't see an ideal time for AAT to re-release the exam as I honestly don't think my brain will be able to deal with the three together!

On another note, after talking to my boss about the situation he did say that something similar happened to him a few years back whilst taking an exam, the content was completely different to what they had been told to revise and the exam bored (ICAEW I think) at the time decided to lower the pass mark to 20% and review the exam at the end of the academic year rather than disrupt the current year (which is looking likely for us!) there reasoning behind it was that the complaints would stop and any damage to their reputation would be nipped in the bud.
    There is an almost 100% chance that this won't happen but the idea that it has done before gives some hope hey!
  • NatalieSarantos
    Options
    @scamp83 @Suejw @DAS007 they've changed the message online slightly. The one you get when you try to access the sample assessment. I'm assuming it's because of the number of calls they're receiving!
  • NatalieSarantos
    Options
    @AkateH perfect timing for your exam! I was due to resit it yesterday too. You cannot imagine how hard that exam was, it was the first time in my life I left an exam crying! It literally made me question whether I should even be doing accounting. Bear in mind, I've passed every exam on the first sitting. It was a nightmare!
    So far we've established that 6 people have passed! It's beyond insane!
    Why do you think there is a 100% chance they won't lower the grade? I feel like that is the only fair outcome. At least to 50%.
  • scamp83
    Options
    @NatalieSarantos No I haven't heard anything from my college yet.....our tutor is pretty good so I imagine had he heard anything he would have emailed.

@AkateH Wow 20%!!!! That would be awesome ha ha! I do wonder what will happen if they do lower the pass mark though, as the grading for the qualification as a whole is passed on the percentages e.g merit, distinction.... we would be missing out as the maximum we could achieve would be capped....hmmmm
  • scamp83
    Options
    I've just had an email through from AAT; apparently we will be contacted on or before Friday 3rd February with any further information.
  • NatalieSarantos
    Options
    @scamp83 very true! (About the % thing.) They could or should get the highest % achieved and make that the 100% and adjust the %s according to that. Or something of the sort. I.e. If they pass mark is 70% and the highest is 78%, then 78% should be 100% and 58% now be 70%. Does that make sense?
  • NatalieSarantos
    Options
    @scamp83 I've got nothing yet. Does it say anything else?
  • scamp83
    Options
    @NatalieSarantos It does indeed make sense :)
  • scamp83
    Options
    This was the message:

Please be aware that the MDCL assessment has been suspended, pending a review. We are writing to confirm that the Not Yet Competent result you received on 24 November 2016 for the MDCL assessment will be considered as part of this review.

Until the review is completed, we can’t say whether your result will be affected in any way, so please allow us time to complete the review and ensure that neither you nor any other student has been disadvantaged.

We will contact you on or before Friday 3 February with any further information.
  • NatalieSarantos
    Options
    @scamp83 wow!! So they are reviewing results too. I feel like they don't know exactly what they're going to do. Crazy!
  • NatalieSarantos
    Options
    @scamp83 my uni mate just got the same email. Nothing for me yet hava
  • DAS007
    DAS007 Registered Posts: 5
    Options
    I only got 44% so doubt I've passed if they remark it.
  • NatalieSarantos
    Options
    @DAS007 don't be disheartened. Your grade is actually average. Lowest in my class was 20% and highest was 78%. The girl that got 78% is extremelyyyyyy hard working and dedicated, which for me to say, when I study 30-40 hours a week on average, is a lot!!
  • AkateH
    AkateH Registered Posts: 9
    Options
    @NatalieSarantos as much as I was looking forward to getting the exam over and done with, I think my reaction would have been the same as yours. I have passed every exam up until now too so I can understand how much of a blow it could be, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that they'll decide to pass you considering you only missed out by 3%! I meant 100% chance of them not lowering to as low as 20% (wishful thinking!) however I agree, that can be the only and surely the easiest option for them at the moment. Both ACCA and ACA have pass rates of 50% so it seems fair.

@scamp83 good question, I hadn't thought of that to be honest! lowering the % must be one of their only option now, the others would either be re-writing the exams or correcting the course materials, both I'm assuming would take a rather long time so it'll be interesting to see what happens next!
    I'm hoping that we'll hear from them today also just to get more of an idea how to move on... this thread has been of more use to me than AAT has so I'll keep checking in to see if there have been any further updates!
  • NatalieSarantos
    Options
    @AkateH you make some really good points there! It would take them long to rewrite the exam and change the course material but they're going to have to anyway for students who haven't taken it. They can't present that exam again!
  • scamp83
    Options
    This whole thing has really lowered my opinion of AAT. I had problems with the re-marking process too, so factored in with all this I'm not a happy bunny!
  • NatalieSarantos
    Options
    @AkateH you make some really good points there! It would take them long to rewrite the exam and change the course material but they're going to have to anyway for students who haven't taken it. They can't present that exam again!
  • NatalieSarantos
    Options
    @scamp83 same for me! I couldn't have spoken well enough of them before this. Now I'm completely disheartened. So much so that I considered demanding a refund and just starting with ACCA but I never quit so I'm kind of stuck!
Privacy Policy