Management Accounting: Decision and Control (AQ2016) Exam

Options

Comments

• SC1234
    SC1234 Registered Posts: 19
    Options
    @nala I felt exactly the same. The questions were so different to anything I had done from the books or even the online sample assessments which i thought were meant to give you an idea of how the exam would be to an extent. I revised so much but then struggled to answer questions in the exam because I didn't understand them.
    And if I have failed it (which is more than likely) even if i re-sit it I still wouldn't know how to answer the questions because I haven't been able to have a go at any in a similar format.
  • nala
    nala Registered Posts: 10
    Options
    > @SC1234 said:
    > @nala I felt exactly the same. The questions were so different to anything I had done from the books or even the online sample assessments which i thought were meant to give you an idea of how the exam would be to an extent. I revised so much but then struggled to answer questions in the exam because I didn't understand them.
    > And if I have failed it (which is more than likely) even if i re-sit it I still wouldn't know how to answer the questions because I haven't been able to have a go at any in a similar format.

Exactly .... Probably I will try to do writing ones better as they have many marks :D but still I will be struggling to understand what the author of the question ment.

I think our tutors or/and students should have an access to see the past papers - not only sample ones which are easy.

Or ... AAT should create a new book-dictionary called "how to understand AAT assesments questions" :)
  • ted_holmes
    ted_holmes Registered Posts: 14
    Options
    SC1234 said:

@nala I felt exactly the same. The questions were so different to anything I had done from the books or even the online sample assessments which i thought were meant to give you an idea of how the exam would be to an extent. I revised so much but then struggled to answer questions in the exam because I didn't understand them.
    And if I have failed it (which is more than likely) even if i re-sit it I still wouldn't know how to answer the questions because I haven't been able to have a go at any in a similar format.

I felt the same about how the questions came at you. the material provided online and in the book didn't really cover how it came at you at all. If it did it was very brief at the end of the chapter.
    My advice like i've mentioned twice before, is use your notes. At our college, we're very lucky to have a tutor who goes over the topic in detail and to a further extent than the book.
    Tbh i know i have to resit this deep down, but i also know that to revise my notes will give me more than enough info to pass second time around.
    The book/online will just be used to refresh my memory.
  • scamp83
    scamp83 Registered Posts: 86
    Options
    I think it would be really useful for AAT to publish the pass rates and also the breakdown of the exams and where students are going wrong. These are available for the AQ2013 standards but not yet available for AQ2016. I've sat Financial Statements and Credit Management in the last month; I've found lots of 'trick' questions and also in the written questions, it's not very obvious what they are asking. An exam should be a way of finding out what you know, not a battle of wits!
  • SC1234
    Options
    @ted_holmes You are lucky to have such a good tutor! Unfortunately our tutor has been off sick for about the last 8 weeks and we are unsure when he will be back, so we have only really had the book and practice papers to go off.

@scamp83 I agree. I feel the same, it feels as if they almost want to catch you out. I feel this exam was a lot different to the last two I have done. As in the practice assessments gave you an idea of what the exam will be like but it didn't for the Decision and Control.
  • scamp83
    Options
    Looks like there has been another update on this........https://www.aat.org.uk/assessment/suspension-management-accounting-decision-and-control-assessment . What a palaver!
  • NatalieSarantos
    NatalieSarantos Registered Posts: 150
    Options
    @scamp83 wow! So they're increasing the %? That's what I understood, right? But no idea by how much right? Omg pls let it be 3% so I can pass!!
  • scamp83
    Options
    That was my understanding of it too.....I've emailed my tutor but he doesn't know anything about it yet :-( I need 3% too..... so you can guarantee they will increase it by 2%! I feel sorry for all the people who have done the resit in the meantime.......
  • NatalieSarantos
    Options
    @scamp83 i thought exactly the same thing!! Please don't let it be 2%!! My nerves are killing me.... again!!
    Yeah that really sucks, if I don't pass this time, I won't redo it until at least September.
  • scamp83
    Options
    It's quite funny that after the first review where they insisted that 'no student was disadvantaged' they have now decided that they were :p Makes a mockery of the whole thing. Anyway, fingers crossed for our 3% just so we can draw a line under the whole sorry thing. It seems like they have posted the statement on the website and then just gone home so we are all left wondering; I tried to ring to find out the details but it was outside office hours, doh!
  • NatalieSarantos
    Options
    @scamp83 I rang too lol!! This whole thing has been a nightmare, honestly. I just hope we don't have to retake it, we don't deserve it!
  • andymeadows66
    andymeadows66 Registered Posts: 3
    Options
    I've read the AAT comment a few times. Does this mean AAT will be uplifting everyone's mark by a certain percentage. I got 69% and appealed and lost my appeal and retained my 69%. My resit is in 12 days and I'm now revising again. Will there be a definitive answer next week do you think?
  • NatalieSarantos
    Options
    @andymeadows66 that's what I understand from their statement. I really don't understand why they wouldn't just give the amount of %, it's driving me crazy!! In your case, I would call to confirm they're increasing everyone's % because any increase would mean a pass for you! Pray for us who need 3% please! Lol
  • scamp83
    Options
    Yeah why not just say the percentage change, argh!!! From what the statement says, @andymeadows66 it looks like you will be able to cancel your resit B)
  • NatalieSarantos
    Options
    @scamp83 I don't understand why they're so vague! Like couldn't they say the % and that's it? I swear I had to read it 20 times and I'm still not convinced i understand what they're saying! "Uplift" percentage? Wouldn't it have been easier to say increase. I'm confused lol
  • AbbyCarr
    AbbyCarr Registered Posts: 157
    Options
    I suppose it's simply because not all percentages can go up by the same amount. Being unrealistic if they were to decide to increase percentages by 10% , it would mean I achieved 100%, which isn't realistic regardless of how much they messed up. I don't suppose everyone will see the same increase, but the AAT may surprise us! I just don't think they've looked into it enough to release any information and therefore should have kept quiet till it was all finalised. They're a bit slapdash in their approach to these things.
  • hertshornet
    hertshornet Registered Posts: 21
    Options
    So anyone who hears of change from AAT in details please post - if they email if say a % or if you get a change what it shifts by.
    If they email or just change on web site.
    Have they emailed any of the colleges or other providers to explain.
    Will they rewrite exam or just change pass level.
    Exam should examine the course taught, based taught on right expected content.
    Also 69%, so hoping.
  • NatalieSarantos
    Options
    @hertshornet assume you've passed. They're increasing % so you've passed! With just 1% you're there! I have 3% so pray for me too!!
  • ted_holmes
    ted_holmes Registered Posts: 14
    Options
    My feelings are that the pass rate has been so low, were not talking a couple of percent here.
    I feel that the whole new syllabus needs a look at, as so far i have no faith that the study resources (book/online) adequately cover the content of the exams.
    However, that is no excuse if i have failed, as the information we've received in class, should have been more than enough.
    I just revised the wrong info (book/online, hardly any of my notes)
    To be honest, when i described the MDCL exam to my peers at work, they felt that this was ACCA standard work. As you only get three exemptions for ACCA from completing AAT, is it safe to say AAT can't be considered a stepping stone any more?
  • NatalieSarantos
    Options
    @ted_holmes same with my workmates, that exam was definitely ACCA standard, they all Agreed!
    I think minimum 10%, personally.
  • Sealions
    Sealions Registered Posts: 4
    Options
    I am glad that they are looking at the grades again--it may very well help a few that just missed passing. I also have no faith in relying only on the AAT resources (not just for Decision and Control). Not all texts for the 2016 standard have the same material (various providers). It almost looks like it has all been rushed.

Fingers crossed and hopefully some will avoid having to resit.
  • ELH25o
    ELH25o Registered Posts: 4
    Options
    Make it a 15% increase so i can get a pass too lol ........ unlikely but a girl can dream!
  • hannahc18
    hannahc18 Registered Posts: 4
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @ELH25o I am hoping for the same but I think its going to be unlikely, least we wont have much more to get in the resit lol
  • scamp83
    Options
    @ted_holmes I totally agree with you about the quality of resources from the main providers, I've been using Kaplan and BPP and finding them coming at questions with very different approaches - this is good in a way but leads to a lot of confusion and becoming quite overwhelmed. I think the trick is to choose one and stick with it!
    I completed the whole Kaplan test assessment book for Budgeting and the content of my exam was very different..... I wonder, have AAT been in touch with the publishers at all about the new syllabus?!?! :/
    And don't get me started on gearing, that is calculated in umpteen different ways depending which publisher you look at! :p
  • NatalieSarantos
    Options
    @scamp83 @ted_holmes I agree with you both. I worked with BPP and Osborne and neither prepared me for what was ahead! I think there's been a massive miscommunication between AAT and the publishers and of course, we're caught in the middle.
    My nerves are an absolute wreck. I couldn't even sleep properly last night and this is literally giving me anxiety!!! Why couldn't they just give us the % amount?!
  • scamp83
    Options
    I have just rang AAT - my result has been changed to competent. I explained that there are a lot of people very anxious about this review and what it means for them, and that the weekend is a long time to wait. They said they are working as fast as they can....I think they are hoping to update everyone by the end of today but it will be Monday before the assessment results on the website change.
  • hannahc18
    Options
    ive had an email it appears that they are increasing peoples marks by 10%
  • ELH25o
    ELH25o Registered Posts: 4
    Options
    its 10% which is really frustrating as now ive failed by a smaller margin instead of 14 its now 4% id rather they hadnt changed mine lol
  • hannahc18
    Options
    yes same im 5% off instead of 15, preferred it when I was miles off
  • SC1234
    Options
    I just wonder what this means for my results as i haven't had them yet and only sat the exam on the 29th March?? Will they add 10% onto ours when they mark them??
Privacy Policy