AAT Level 4 Synoptic Exam

Options

Comments

• M92Z
    M92Z Registered Posts: 10
    Options
    > @DanielEvansSouthall said:
    > Great feedback! And good luck!!! I got 86% in my budgeting exam so thought that would be my strength going into the pdsy, and then that relevant cost question did me over.

It great that we have this thread, there's a lot of useful info here to help with the synoptic now.
    I'm probably going to get the 9th edition management accounting book to go through relevant costing, etc just in case I need to retake again.
  • Lindi
    Lindi Registered Posts: 166
    Options
    Here's the chapter summary as promised
  • M92Z
    M92Z Registered Posts: 10
    Options
    > @Lindi said:
    > Here's the chapter summary as promised

Thank you!!
  • rabbia
    rabbia Registered Posts: 19
    Options
    We’ve noticed that you have been scheduled for the Professional Diploma Synoptic Assessment (PDSY) on 29/09/2017 .

In order to help you prepare for this assessment, we wanted to make you aware of some recent changes and support materials that you may find useful:

There is a new practice assessment (previously known as sample assessment) for PDSY. This is available now on the Study Support Search.

The new practice assessment has been developed to better reflect what the live assessment will look like from the next synoptic window (Monday 25 September 2017 - Sunday 1 October 2017).

Alongside the new practice assessment, you will now find model answers. The new model answers will give you a range of examples and will provide a better idea of what we are looking for in terms of responses.
    Additionally, the Chief Examiner for PDSY has created a report that looks at the performance of students covering the period September 2016 to June 2017. You may find it useful to look at this to know where others have performed well, and not so well.
    Again, all of these support resources are found within the
  • rabbia
    Options
    What a joke they send me this email at 10am when I was sitting in actual exam at 9am. Big laugh to aat
  • angelcbf
    angelcbf Registered Posts: 9
    Options
    rabbia said:

What a joke they send me this email at 10am when I was sitting in actual exam at 9am. Big laugh to aat

I got the same email 10 minutes before I was supposed to sit for my exam on Monday. They're useless!

• rabbia
    Options
    Yes they are I just reply them this. Dear AAT team.
    Don't u think, you should have sent this email to me before my exam date 25 September.

By the time I received your email, I was sitting in the examination room with no access to phone (obviously).

What good is this email and information for me. I think you r not bother what I am going through by sitting in the exam for third with very little support/material provided by you or by training provider. The introduction of synoptic was a blunder by your organisation which created an anxiety among the students.
    I will not recommend AAT to any of my contacts.
    I look forward hearing from you
    Rabbia
    007 Registered Posts: 7
    Options
    rabbia said:

Yes they are I just reply them this. Dear AAT team.

Don't u think, you should have sent this email to me before my exam date 25 September.

By the time I received your email, I was sitting in the examination room with no access to phone (obviously).

What good is this email and information for me. I think you r not bother what I am going through by sitting in the exam for third with very little support/material provided by you or by training provider. The introduction of synoptic was a blunder by your organisation which created an anxiety among the students.

I will not recommend AAT to any of my contacts.

I look forward hearing from you

Rabbia

Bravo response rabbis! I echo you! We should have started with ACCA or CIMA from the start!
  • DanielEvansSouthall
    DanielEvansSouthall Registered Posts: 26
    Options
    So I am awaiting my results of the synoptic exam and I don't think I've passed. Rather than wait around for my result I am going to start revising 'external auditing'. I thought this would be a good unit to cover given that I assume there are similarities between this unit and the synoptic assessment. Has anyone had any experience of this?
  • Lindi
    Options
    I think it can be useful. I'm sure people have recommended this before. Just not sure about the bit on charities though. There's a green light on there for Internal Control and Control Testing, that sounds on the spot for PDSY but I haven't looked at that yet. I am re-sitting in December, and it's difficult for me to know which bits to pick up and which to drop. I'm enrolled onto a separate course for this module as correspondence, I've purchased the Colin Drury book and am planning on revisiting the Budgeting and Decision & Control modules to re-familiarise myself with the AAT way of doing things (which, by the way is not always the most practical for the "real world" as you don't always have all the figures and data available to do half of their calculations) I might throw an eye over the auditing e-learning and see what useful info I can pull from there. Good luck, and I hope you find out that you've passed so you can put this to bed!
  • MissHermansen
    MissHermansen Registered Posts: 103
    Options

So I am awaiting my results of the synoptic exam and I don't think I've passed. Rather than wait around for my result I am going to start revising 'external auditing'. I thought this would be a good unit to cover given that I assume there are similarities between this unit and the synoptic assessment. Has anyone had any experience of this?

External Auditing is a nice exam- I passed very comfortably with not too much revision. unfortunately it is not similar to the synoptic. I originally thought it would be, but I am afraid I haven't come across anything that resembles the dreaded synoptic. good luck to you :)
  • DanielEvansSouthall
    Options
    I'm only on chapter 2 of the Kaplan external auditing text book and already there are many similarities. For instance the whole of chapter 2 focuses internal controls which the synoptic exam tests on in some depth
  • MissHermansen
    Options

I'm only on chapter 2 of the Kaplan external auditing text book and already there are many similarities. For instance the whole of chapter 2 focuses internal controls which the synoptic exam tests on in some depth

There are lots of similarities but the exam itself and the marking is very different- in my case I passed Audit comfortably without much more than 2 weeks revision and the audit I failed by 3% . I just think the synoptic exam is one on its own hence the mass failings :( Good luck with your External Auditing though!
  • DanielEvansSouthall
    Options
    Yeah I totally agree with you that the style of the synoptic is very different but there are definitely some cross overs in knowledge required for the synoptic exam and external auditing. Just might be worth knowing, if like me you're not confident of having passed the synoptic and are wondering which optional exam to take next.
  • MissHermansen
    Options

Yeah I totally agree with you that the style of the synoptic is very different but there are definitely some cross overs in knowledge required for the synoptic exam and external auditing. Just might be worth knowing, if like me you're not confident of having passed the synoptic and are wondering which optional exam to take next.

absolutely! that is why I chose external auditing as well :)
  • Lindi
    Options
    =)
  • steady88
    steady88 Registered Posts: 25
    Options
    Anyone looking forward to the management accountant week taking place next week?

Supposed to provide us with more online materials to help with the synoptic assessment.
  • Lindi
    Options
    steady88 said:

Anyone looking forward to the management accountant week taking place next week?

Supposed to provide us with more online materials to help with the synoptic assessment.

I've signed up for both Facebook webinars. I figured have nothing to lose, might as well take whatever they have to offer.
  • Lindi
    Options
    Just looked at the AAT Study Support again and find it well and truly lacking. Surely this is the biggest unit of them all, through levels 1-4 and the only e-learning on there happens to be 2 generic "support" slideshows which does not relate to the content of the synoptic. And the Synoptic assessment support even ends with L2 Foundation units, nothing even on our level.

Still say it's very, very poor.

It's almost like they no longer care, it's like a mother nurturing a child, holding his hand every step of the way through all the school years, and then kicking him out just as he's about to sit his GCSE's, to fend for himself.

I simply cannot understand how all through the levels, support was abundantly available yet nothing for Level 4, not an e-learning video; no Real Life Scenario, no study support asking you to fill in the gaps.

I strongly regret paying AAT for Level 4 now, and will not recommend it to anybody.
  • DanielEvansSouthall
    Options
    I started AAT purely as a gateway to ACCA, if only I'd known I could have just gone straight into ACCA at the foundation level! As soon as I have passed AAT level 4 and received my exemptions from ACCA F1, F2 and F3 I'll cut all ties with AAT and they won't receive another penny from me. They are trying to be a better recognised qualification by making their exams harder to pass and in doing so will alienate all the technician level students.
  • DanielEvansSouthall
    Options
    P.s still awaiting my level 4 synoptic results.....
  • Lindi
    Options

P.s still awaiting my level 4 synoptic results.....

When are they due?
  • GemGem17
    GemGem17 Registered Posts: 30
    Options
    I got a letter in the post yesterday from AAT and they've basically accepted that they have gone wrong with this synoptic exam. It came via my college but I never lodge a complaint for this exam, must be a standard letter they're sending to everyone. Has anyone else received a letter?
  • marialucas
    marialucas Registered Posts: 49
    Options
    > @GemGem17 said:
    > I got a letter in the post yesterday from AAT and they've basically accepted that they have gone wrong with this synoptic exam. It came via my college but I never lodge a complaint for this exam, must be a standard letter they're sending to everyone. Has anyone else received a letter?

Haven't , what does it say??
  • Lindi
    Options
    GemGem17 said:

I got a letter in the post yesterday from AAT and they've basically accepted that they have gone wrong with this synoptic exam. It came via my college but I never lodge a complaint for this exam, must be a standard letter they're sending to everyone. Has anyone else received a letter?

Nothing. Dying to hear this...
  • MissHermansen
    Options
    GemGem17 said:

They have accepted responsibility but are still refusing to remark our exams and are happy to carry on taking payments for re-sits?? They really do baffle me!
  • GemGem17
    Options
    When I get home later i'll copy it over so you can all have a read and a laugh at it. They've just said they've amended the exam - why they can't amend our marks from previous sittings to reflect the new exam baffles me!
  • marialucas
    marialucas Registered Posts: 49
    Options
    they have changed the exams again?? How many times will they have to change the exams? Jesus!
  • Lindi
    Options
    GemGem17 said:

When I get home later i'll copy it over so you can all have a read and a laugh at it. They've just said they've amended the exam - why they can't amend our marks from previous sittings to reflect the new exam baffles me!

Yes please, I have asked my college if they've received any letters and no response yet.
    On the plus side, hopefully they've changed it enough so we could actually pass next time....
  • GemGem17
    Options
    I'll get it online when I get home shortly after 5pm. Fingers crossed it's changed enough for us to pass....I'm hopeful for December. I think there's another mock exam and mock answers out the back end of this week too.
Privacy Policy