Salary after completing AAT?

mi|kshake
mi|kshake Registered Posts: 70 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi,

I'm a Trainee Accounts Technician and now that I am on the Technician level I was wondering what's type of salary should I expect to get once I am qualified? (Obviously I haven't been to uni or anything - will just have my school qualifications + my AAT)

Thanks!!

mi|kshake~

Comments

• SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    mi|kshake
    I recently attended the southern area AAT lecturers' meeting where a representative of Hays accounting presented details on salary rates in our area.
    I suggest that you contact your local office. This is a link.

http://www.hays.com/accountancy/

Incidentally, we queried one of the rates the Hays lady presented and were told that she would correct it and contact us with the corrected figure. To date I am not aware that such a correction has taken place.

I trust that this does not fall foul of the advertising restrictions on the forum.
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • NeilH
    NeilH Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hi

You also need to take into account the job you do and your experience. Some slary surveys base it on qualification level, others on the position. Have a look around the recruitment sites and you should be able to put together a pictures. The AAt site used to have one somewhere, but it never seemed to get up dated.

Neil
  • speegs
    speegs Registered Posts: 854 Epic contributor 🐘
    I am also a technician level student and I already earn £22500 in Hertfordshire.

Speegs
  • Andrewh26
    Andrewh26 Registered Posts: 69 Regular contributor ⭐
    I would like to know how people got these trainee accountant roles? I've done purchase ledger for 2 years and am at Technician level, but the agencies just tell me I need more experience before I can do that. Who did you go through, what jobs did you do before? :(
  • jorja1986
    jorja1986 Registered Posts: 210 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Your salary depends very much on your location, practice or industry and your responsibilities and also your age in some instances.

Like others have said google on line and you should get an indication of expectations.
  • *Sarah*
    *Sarah* Registered Posts: 172 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I'm on technician level (finishing in June) and I earn 24k working in Hertfordshire
  • Andrewh26
    hmm, well I'm at same stage, i've just moved to Manchester. I'm looking at jobs in industry, should i be looking at practice? is this my mistake? hmm I wonder. and what jobs did you do previous?
  • richardw
    richardw Registered Posts: 108 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Those salary levels are for the south of england though. Im in Birmingham, & at those sort of wages its supervisory roles. £19000 for someone starting on CIMA or ACCA.

Sandyhood, you might find it dosnt get corrected. I must say that im not very impressed with Hays, & a few other people ive spoken to dont think much of them either.
    Im just starting out on the final year of the diploma, have about 5 years experience in credit control, & some IT qualifications, & all theyve come up with in a month is a position no better than what im already doing, which i got 2 years ago.
  • Helenb
    Helenb Registered Posts: 16 New contributor 🐸
    Andrewh26 wrote: »
    I would like to know how people got these trainee accountant roles? I've done purchase ledger for 2 years and am at Technician level, but the agencies just tell me I need more experience before I can do that. Who did you go through, what jobs did you do before? :(

HI Andrew, I worked in PL as well and applied to do maternity cover in our management accounts department to get experiance, I now have a role in a smaller company where I do PL, Cashier work and help the Management accountant. Try to contact companies directly, because you don't have direct experience you are making the recruitment firm work harder to sell you - I suspect that this is part of the problem!

Start adding things like account reconsiliation into your CV, this is a skill you can carry over from PL to a trainee role. I descovered that there is not much difference between reconsiling a supplier account to a nominal ledger one and as soon as I put it in my CV recruitment firms were more interested. Good Luck:001_smile:
  • br1t1shbo1
    br1t1shbo1 Registered Posts: 13 New contributor 🐸

You have to access their websites directly and look for roles there. Do not go through recruitment sites, it's better to send your CV directly to the accountancy firms.

Good Luck!
  • Andrewh26
    ah right thanks, yeah, will try sending my CVs direct, but question is direct to who, hmm, I have to find out
  • Andrewh26
    I'm interested to find out what my salary could be in London after this summer if I start ACCA, or CIMA. I presume there would be a multitude of jobs available, and London would be the best option for accountancy jobs?
  • Cudey
    Cudey Registered Posts: 138 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    speegs wrote: »
    I am also a technician level student and I already earn £22500 in Hertfordshire.

Speegs

I live in Hertfordshire :001_smile:

You anywhere near the Watford area?
  • 118 11kate
    118 11kate Registered Posts: 115 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    :ohmy: I need to move to hertfordshire!

I live and work in Telford and I have one more exam to complete Technician and I earn £17000 and it probably wont go up upon completion either.:crying:
  • steveborner
    steveborner Registered Posts: 21 New contributor 🐸
    i am on intermediate and work in london and earn around £25k. I would expect £30k after AAT on an apprentice scheme training for CIMA or alike.
  • *Sarah*
    118 11kate wrote: »
    :ohmy: I need to move to hertfordshire!

I live and work in Telford and I have one more exam to complete Technician and I earn £17000 and it probably wont go up upon completion either.:crying:

You say that Kate but it is much more expensive to live here so the wages aren't that great in comparison unfortunetly
  • speegs
    speegs Registered Posts: 854 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hi Cudey

I work in Watford on Colonial Way.

We should meet up an exchange study stories and stuff.

What do you say?

Send me a private message. I would love to meet up with other studiers.

Speegs
  • Cudey
    Cudey Registered Posts: 138 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    speegs wrote: »
    Hi Cudey

I work in Watford on Colonial Way.

We should meet up an exchange study stories and stuff.

What do you say?

Send me a private message. I would love to meet up with other studiers.

Speegs

Sent one :001_smile:

Anyone else from the Watford area?
  • sunny
    sunny Registered Posts: 43 Regular contributor ⭐
    i am on intermediate and work in london and earn around £25k. I would expect £30k after AAT on an apprentice scheme training for CIMA or alike.

Well done. You must have got many years experience, havn't you?
    Do you mind tell us which industry are you working for? Because a guy told me that the accountant's salary figure depends on which industry you are in, is it true?
  • richardw
    richardw Registered Posts: 108 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Are these salary figures real pay figures, or are they including an amount of study support?

Even if you allow £5k extra for london, £20k seems a lot for someone doing AAT intermediate.
    In the midlands, £20k will get you someone ACCA qualified.
  • *Sarah*
    Cudey wrote: »
    Sent one :001_smile:

Anyone else from the Watford area?

I'm from St Albans :-)

And RichardW - Yep 24k is my real salary figure, I don't get any kind of study support

Sarah
  • br1t1shbo1
    br1t1shbo1 Registered Posts: 13 New contributor 🐸
    I'm interested to find out what my salary could be in London after this summer if I start ACCA, or CIMA. I presume there would be a multitude of jobs available, and London would be the best option for accountancy jobs?

You can access the sites through AAT, click on Employer (the blue tab) and then you can go directly to the audit company sites.

Furthermore go on to the accountancy age websites, this will show you the top 50 firms from there you can select the company you want to work for, by going on their websites.

Most Companies nowadays have a "career" section from where you can apply.
  • steveborner
    sunny wrote: »
    Well done. You must have got many years experience, havn't you?
    Do you mind tell us which industry are you working for? Because a guy told me that the accountant's salary figure depends on which industry you are in, is it true?

i joined at 22k from high school after a levels, all support for exam expense etc is on top of that. I work for the Metropolitan Police in their finance department.

20k for acca qualified???? they are ridiculously underpaid! ACCA qualified woild see £30k + in london as a basis. An example, the seniour business accountant for my team has been chartered for 6 years and earns £60k +. This is the normal wage a chartered accountant can expect.
  • Poodle
    Poodle Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hi

As they say "it's easy to spend someone elses money" i.e. the tax payers

Poodle
  • steveborner
    thats a great response poodle, with your ample knowledge of public sector finance. I think you will find the wages are competetive for london.

where do you work and who for?

Maybe rather than "its easy to spend someone elses money" its far easier to be lazy settle for a second rate job being underpaid.....?
  • Poodle
    Poodle Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor 🐘
    with your ample knowledge of public sector finance.

Oh I have loads, paid enough in rates in my time!

Regarding my employment status. I am employed, by my own company in the South East and I can assure you that I am not lazy, have a superb quality of life working approx 30 hours a week and I earn more than you.:001_tt2:

Exactly who in this forum do you refer to in this forum as lazy, and working in a second rate job?

Poodle
  • MattW
    MattW Registered Posts: 40 Regular contributor ⭐
    I live in Hertfordshire and work in London, I earn 29K, full study support, pension & 30 days holiday excl bank holidays.

I am at intermediate level, with 4.5 years experience. I don't get any rises for passing exams though.

My mate is at Tech level and earns £33.5K, as does my other friend who is a finalist ACCA.

I have recently started to see jobs advertising for "AAT or ACCA or ACA" candidates, I presume it's the increased recongnition AAT is receiving from potential employers??

Highest paying fully qualified AAT job i have seen on Hays in London was 70K. Average highest jobs i've seen are £35-45K with varying job titles.

I would be interested to hear what Self employed AAT's can potentially earn!

Matt
  • princess246
    princess246 Registered Posts: 49 Regular contributor ⭐
    Im in the final stages of my AAT i work within management accounts and i earn 25k a year and thats low for the job i do!!!!!!!!
  • sharon
    sharon Registered Posts: 161 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    i earn £15900! Aat technician - Last exams in June - with 2 years experience iin Management accounts! Is that rubbish?????????????
  • sharon
    sharon Registered Posts: 161 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Forgot to mention my job title is Assistant Management Accountant!!! Guys is my wages crap????????
Privacy Policy