Apparently Jews are stupid!

Comments

• speegs
    speegs Registered Posts: 854 Epic contributor 🐘
    I would like to add that people are saying I "wimped out and called the police". Well what she said was racist and racism is ILLEGAL in this country. I have reported a crime, nothing more. And this is not the first time she has made racist in the office when there were witnesses to here it.

Speegs
  • LondonMatt
    LondonMatt Registered Posts: 1,110 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    speegs wrote: Β»
    Hi Londonmatt.

I would not have "wimped out" and called the police if this had been a one off occurence, or if HR had dealt with it effectively yesterday. However, she has already had warnings in the past for racist behaviour, but because she gets on so well with HR the HR manager does not want to take the matter further as she would probably have to sack the girl.

I am not a "wimp" but what can I do when HR will not do anything about this kind of behaviour.

As I said, you could have engaged in debate and tried to change her mind. One of the problems today is that something is always someone elses responsibility - the HR people should deal with her? Why don't you take her to task on her ignorance yourself? Why leave it to someone else? I know if someone was saying racist things to me, I wouldn't keep quiet and just tell HR.
  • LondonMatt
    I would like to add that people are saying I "wimped out and called the police". Well what she said was racist and racism is ILLEGAL in this country. I have reported a crime, nothing more. And this is not the first time she has made racist in the office when there were witnesses to here it.

Well that’s more point exactly. All you have done is reported a crime. Left it for someone else to deal with. The problem still remains and she (and other people she influences) will continue to remain a problem until people can convince her she is wrong
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Hi Londonmatt.

I would not have "wimped out" and called the police if this had been a one off occurence, or if HR had dealt with it effectively yesterday. However, she has already had warnings in the past for racist behaviour, but because she gets on so well with HR the HR manager does not want to take the matter further as she would probably have to sack the girl.

I am not a "wimp" but what can I do when HR will not do anything about this kind of behaviour.

Speegs

Personally i think you should be a poster person for the AAT in a zero tolerance against rasium campaign.

well done
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    a-vic love the puff man !
  • A-Vic
    a-vic love the puff man !

lol thanks mark i was a mad ghostbusters fan as a kid :lol:
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    speegs

well done for keeping your cool, as said before if you had challenged her and it became physical, you would be to blame and she would be the victim, like so many other cases we hear of in the news recently.

Tracy
  • mark130273
    super film..............ghostbuster out when you were a kid?

wo thought it would of been a charlie chaplin film ?

hahahahahahahahaha
  • speegs
    As I said, you could have engaged in debate and tried to change her mind. One of the problems today is that something is always someone elses responsibility - the HR people should deal with her? Why don't you take her to task on her ignorance yourself? Why leave it to someone else? I know if someone was saying racist things to me, I wouldn't keep quiet and just tell HR.

I see your point but in the past both me and other members of the staff have tried to speak with her and explain that her comments are hurting the feelings of others, but she does not seem to understand and jsut continues with it. She also gets very loud and shouts when we try to discuss these sorts of matters with her. She is one of those people who is extremely defensive and if you don;t agree with her there must be something wrong with you.

I would love to have dealt with this myself but going on past experience it would just start a verbal fight.
  • Pigpen
    Pigpen Registered Posts: 331 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Hi Speegs - This persons behaviour is terrible but they are probably more of a general bully than a racist.

This racist comment was aimed at you because she wanted to provoke a reaction, which she got - But its blown up in her face now - Not a good Friday 13th for her! If you were Fat she would probably have made a similar comment about fat people being stupid - I say this as someone who has to put up with someone and their caustic views on a daily basis - Be it about women, Children, the place where I live, which apparently is full of chavs altho the papers say we are in one of the most deisrable places to live in the whole of the UK.

These people are sad sorry individuals who like nothing better than to make other peoples lives a misery. As an adult you have to take responsibility for your own behaviour and not use the age old excuse of a terrible background. My mum had a hideous abusive upbringing and she is one of the most caring grounded people I know. She made a decision to leave it behind.

I doubt whether the Police thing will change her ways - I just hope it doesn't make her worse.

Good luck and keep us posted.
  • LondonMatt
    I don't think there is any way of talking sense into people like that. You just have to show them their behaviour won't be tolerated.

That’s not true. There are plenty of reformed people out there - ex BNP members, ex KKK, ex IRA, ex UDF, ex nation of islam members etc. They were all talked into changing through words and debate, not the threat of police action. People can be changed.
  • speegs
    She has just re-appeared in the office and sat at her desk very quietly. She has not said a word to anyone, but her eyes are very red and she is obviously crying. I am afraid I cannot seem to muster up any sympathy.

Unfortunately, the HR manager has now gone to our other office. Do you think I should email her to let her know she has returned? :huh:

Speegs
  • mark130273
    well speaking about rasism and all that ........there is an everton player called victor anichebi(cant spell it) who the other day got pulled up by the police because and i quote"acting suspicously"

no is it becasue he is black orwas it because he was on crutches !!!
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Hi Speegs,

I'm gonna be controversial here. I'm not condoning what the girl said and having studied the holocaust for many years (I had jewish relatives on my ex-wifes side), I agree it's certainly a horrific part of history but what crime would you say the girl has committed here? Stupidity or the incitement of racial hatred? While I can see it's certainly a case of racial and religious ignorance, it seems a long, long way from the latter.

Does the girl deserve to be criminalised for this? I say no; she might be ignorant as hell but not a criminal. If she is, then shouldn't we also lock up Ricky Geravis and everyone else who tells racist, religious or homophobic jokes? If racism is a crime then can humour truly absolve it?

Speeding motorists are a far bigger danger than 99% of the country's racists and kill far more people each year yet few would even see that as a crime, never mind one to be locked up for.
  • speegs
    Pigpen wrote: Β»
    Hi Speegs - This persons behaviour is terrible but they are probably more of a general bully than a racist.

This racist comment was aimed at you because she wanted to provoke a reaction, which she got - But its blown up in her face now - Not a good Friday 13th for her! If you were Fat she would probably have made a similar comment about fat people being stupid - I say this as someone who has to put up with someone and their caustic views on a daily basis - Be it about women, Children, the place where I live, which apparently is full of chavs altho the papers say we are in one of the most deisrable places to live in the whole of the UK.

These people are sad sorry individuals who like nothing better than to make other peoples lives a misery. As an adult you have to take responsibility for your own behaviour and not use the age old excuse of a terrible background. My mum had a hideous abusive upbringing and she is one of the most caring grounded people I know. She made a decision to leave it behind.

I doubt whether the Police thing will change her ways - I just hope it doesn't make her worse.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Actually Fatandforty, I am fat, but luckily she does not seemed to have spotted that yet.
  • Diannew
    Diannew Registered Posts: 2,814 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    A-Vic wrote: Β»
    lol thanks mark i was a mad ghostbusters fan as a kid :lol:

I thought it was the pilsbury dough man that use to Giggle when you poked him in the Tummy:lol::lol:
  • A-Vic
    She has just re-appeared in the office and sat at her desk very quietly. She has not said a word to anyone, but her eyes are very red and she is obviously crying. I am afraid I cannot seem to muster up any sympathy.

Unfortunately, the HR manager has now gone to our other office. Do you think I should email her to let her know she has returned? :huh:

Speegs

You have done the resposible thing and the rest is up to them now
  • fatandforty
    fatandforty Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor 🐘
    Actually Fatandforty, I am fat, but luckily she does not seemed to have spotted that yet.

Actually it wasn't me that said that but I do agree. Bullies will pick on anything be it religion, hair colour, fatness etc. Just don't move out from behind your desk and she might not notice! How's it going there? The atmosphere must be terrible.
  • speegs
    Hi Blobby,

I would agree with you if it weren't for the fact that she has done this before and continues to do so despite warnings and chats we have had with her.

By the way, criminalising her would not give a damn to her as she already has a record. When we employed her we gave her the benefit of the doubt, but her conviction was for actually being racist towards a black police officer". She really does not have any common sense.

I should also say that I am always to first to laugh at Jewish jokes, but this was not at all funny.

Speegs
  • speegs
    Actually it wasn't me that said that but I do agree. Bullies will pick on anything be it religion, hair colour, fatness etc. Just don't move out from behind your desk and she might not notice! How's it going there? The atmosphere must be terrible.

She is sitting at her desk crying quietly. No-one has approached her and everything is errily quiet. Do you think I should have a chat with her? Or contact the HR manager who is now at our other office. I do not know if she has been charged, but one of the guys here thinks she would still be at the police station if she had.

Speegs
  • LondonMatt
    She is sitting at her desk crying quietly. No-one has approached her and everything is errily quiet. Do you think I should have a chat with her? Or contact the HR manager who is now at our other office. I do not know if she has been charged, but one of the guys here thinks she would still be at the police station if she had.

Don't talk to her now, nothing good would come of that.
  • A-Vic

Speegs

Noooo definately i would not attempt anyway to attempt to talk to her as this could be miss construled by HR as a forgiveness by you - also if now you dont go through with this you may also be seen as trouble maker.

Also look at it this way is she crying for what she said or the fact she has gotten in to trouble for doing it?
  • fatandforty

Speegs

Oh my goodness how awkward for you. Just bear in mind that she has caused this situation through her stupidity. She should have taken notice when people tried to tell her she was upsetting them with her hurtful comments. If I were you I would leave her to it for now. Maybe see how things are Monday? (If she comes back!)
  • Ponder
    Ponder Registered Posts: 97 Regular contributor ⭐
    Well done Speegs for remaining calm and for getting the police involved.
    The right thing to have done.

In my view ,its mere excuses for such behaviour saying shes had a bad past,its not that serious,etcetc. I have to say its also border line excuses about whether its racist or not..Of course it it is. And surely after the the world history we have had, is it not time we learnt and changed as a human race.

Excusing little bad behaviours,looking the otherway, putting the blame on other things/people etcetc...it all reminds me of something...oh yes The holocaust for starters for one thing. Ignorance,bigotry,intolerance all played their roles in the holocaust happening.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    A-Vic wrote: Β»
    ... also if now you dont go through with this you may also be seen as trouble maker

Extremely true. Unfortunately, I think you've opened Pandora's Box here Speegs...
  • LondonMatt
    Ponder wrote: Β»

Excusing little bad behaviours,looking the otherway, putting the blame on other things/people etcetc...it all reminds me of something...oh yes The holocaust
    for starters for one thing. Ignorance,bigotry,intolerance all played their roles in the holocaust happening.

That’s a bit of a leap, suggesting the HR's response is akin to the start of the holocaust...
  • Paul24
    Paul24 Registered Posts: 578 Epic contributor 🐘
    I am continually amazed that people of my generation, and one above can be racist or homophobic. Years gone by, my grandparents generation, it was a direct consequence of fearing the unknown. Nowadays there is no excuse for it, only when children are preached to when growing up, when unfortunately they look up to their parents for examples of how to behave or treat people, which is scary when you meet people of reproductive age with these kinds of ideas.

Rob, I do agree with what your saying reference comedians, but realistically, we know there is a difference between stereotypes being worked into comedy, and blatant abuse on a one to one level. Also the point is being missed by some on here (although I understand people wanting to argue their case and enter a debate) that the workplace is not the arena to carry out such heated exchanges, thats what the pub is for, and fortunately this is usually avioded by more level headed people who choose their social circles with care!
  • Ponder
    Ponder Registered Posts: 97 Regular contributor ⭐
    Its a leap yes,that you have seen in it, but thats not what im suggesting..

im saying ..." ey, little things can turn to larger ones. Small things are brushed under the carpet, excused, etc and there does seem to be alot of little things floating around."

Im not saying / suggesting the HR's response is akin to the start of the holocaust. Im saying that we should really in this day and age have learnt from history...even in relation to the little things...best way is to start small...

Excusing little bad behaviours,looking the otherway, putting the blame on other things/people, excusing behaviour im talking about as a genral points of many, as things that personally remind me of elements in play at the time of the holocust yes. Im saying these elements, these,things really should be viewed and dealt with in a better way , in this day and age.

im saying this: "Ignorance,bigotry,intolerance all played their roles in the holocaust happening"

is it not time for people in general to change...??? learn from history.
  • A-Vic
    Ponder wrote: Β»
    Its a leap yes, but thats not what im suggesting..
    im saying ...ey, little things can turn to larger ones. Small things are brushed under the carpet, excused, etc

is it not time for people in general to change...??? learn from history.

o it would be so nice ponder but this is the human condition people will always be people
  • fatandforty
    Paul24 wrote: Β»
    I am continually amazed that people of my generation, and one above can be racist or homophobic. Years gone by, my grandparents generation, it was a direct consequence of fearing the unknown. Nowadays there is no excuse for it, only when children are preached to when growing up, when unfortunately they look up to their parents for examples of how to behave or treat people, which is scary when you meet people of reproductive age with these kinds of ideas.

Both my parents are pretty racist and homophobic but I am pleased to say that I have a mind of my own and completely disagree with their views.
Privacy Policy