more mileage expenses....

PGM
PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
As we all know; mileage from home to work would be taxable if claimed.

But, if your normal working days are Monday to Friday, and you traveled in to unlock the building for maintenance etc, can you claim that mileage and not be taxed?

Comments

• T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Are we talking self-employed or employed?
  • PGM
    T.C. wrote: ยป
    Are we talking self-employed or employed?

Employed, with the contracted week being Mon to Fri.
  • PGM
    Had a ruling back from our auditors, they say we can't claim for journeys made at weekend - under inland revenue tax exempt rules.

I'm still a bit confused, thought it would be allowable as its not normal working times or for normal working reasons. As the Inland Revenue mentions "normal mileage" when they say whats not allowable :confused1:

Any clarification from anyone on this would be greatfully appreciated :001_smile:
  • Jon_1984
    Jon_1984 Registered Posts: 186 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I did always wonder what the rules would actually be if I tried to claim for a 3am alarm call:huh:
  • PGM
    I did always wonder what the rules would actually be if I tried to claim for a 3am alarm call:huh:

Well, thats allowable because you are phoned to go into work, so technically you are working from when you recieve the call.
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Your normal working hours are irrelevant.

If the journey is a commute to and from home then mileage is taxable (even at 3am!).

The only exception I am aware of is if you are working so late that your normal mode of transport no longer becomes an option e.g. the bus/trains have stopped running then if your employer provides a taxi (or other form of transportation) then that is not taxable. If you drive to work anyway then there is no additional relief.
  • PGM
    Thanks Dean, thats very helpful!
Privacy Policy