re: ATT

bumblebee
bumblebee Registered Posts: 135 Dedicated contributor 🦉
I am thinking of ATT distance learning but not sure of which course provider to choose from,, anyone have any recommendations please?

Comments

• andrewtdk
    andrewtdk Registered Posts: 150 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Im currently doing ATT with tolleys and would highly recommend them. Ive found the study materials very clear with lots of practise questions. They also give you 3 practise exams per unit which you complete and send off to them for marking. There is also a forum where you can ask questions but ive never used this so i dont know how good it is.

Ive never heard anything bad about any of the main ATT providers but have no experience of them myself so unfortunatly i cant comment but there are others here who have so hopefully they can let you know.
  • bumblebee
    Thanks Andrew for your post I will look into this.
  • Yestin
    Yestin Registered Posts: 83 Regular contributor ⭐
    I did mine with BPP and passed all the exams fist time (I'm a super star)
  • bumblebee
    Yestin wrote: »
    I did mine with BPP and passed all the exams fist time (I'm a super star)

You must be! Good for you. Can I ask how long it took you do do all the exams roughly?
  • Allan
    Allan Registered Posts: 25 Regular contributor ⭐
    I've been meaning to get around to doing it myself for three years and having registered this Year i've been doing some research and found that Tolleys come very highly recommended.

http://www.tolleytraining.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=19&Itemid=18&gclid=CNzSxI_91KQCFVhc4wodlVSVKg

Im actually going to purchase them today or tomorrow myself, when I can decide which exams to sit and in which order; think I'll just be doing 2 though from what I've been reading.
  • bumblebee
    I am thinking to go with Tolleys, but havent yet decided when; possibly next year.
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    It's something I considered doing when I left employment last year. It was going to fill my time while the practice was still small. However with the growth I've had I just haven't had the time. I think it can add a lot though, not just to me but to my clients as well.
    Regards,

Burg
  • Andy Blyth
    Andy Blyth Registered Posts: 48 Regular contributor ⭐
    Hi Bumblebee,

Why not get your employer to sponsor you to do CTA instead? Just a thought.
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Andy Blyth wrote: »

Presumably because you can't do CTA without doing ATT first (unless you hold a CCAB qualification).
  • deanshepherd
    bumblebee wrote: »
    I am thinking to go with Tolleys, but havent yet decided when; possibly next year.

I did CTA with Tolleys. Cannot recommend them enough.

In my opinion, Steve Sanders of Tolleys is a big factor in why they have such a good pass rate. Excellent tutor.
  • andrewtdk
    andrewtdk Registered Posts: 150 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Do you have ATT Dean or did you get to skip this through other qualifications?

I was just wondering how much of a step up CTA is because im on my last ATT exam and have been thinking about it. Ive passed my ATT exams first time so far but certainly didnt find them easy so im trying to find out if CTA might be a step too far.
  • Andy Blyth
    Andy Blyth Registered Posts: 48 Regular contributor ⭐
    Presumably because you can't do CTA without doing ATT first (unless you hold a CCAB qualification).

Aaaahhhhh, I didn't realise.
  • bumblebee
    Andy Blyth wrote: »
    Hi Bumblebee,

Hi, I thought about that Andy, and I agree with Dean, I think CTA might be too advanced for me at this stage.

And the other reason is that when I did my tax papers while studying AAT I wasnt doing any tax related work, God knows how I managed to pass them though! However I should think by doing ATT it will help me understand more what I missed earlier and I will be able to put my knowledge into practice as I do quite a bit of tax work now.
  • deanshepherd
    andrewtdk wrote: »
    Do you have ATT Dean or did you get to skip this through other qualifications?

I did ATT first.

CTA have by far the hardest exams I have ever sat, however, if you can go straight from doing ATT into doing CTA then I think you will probably have a better chance. I had a four or five year gap and found I had to re-learn a lot of things that more recent ATT studiers already knew.

Don't take any shortcuts. Go with the best tutors, use all the study material and put in the time.

I genuinely believe the ONLY reason people fail CTA is that they do not put enough time into their study. I believe the pass rates are so poor because many of the students already have a CCAB qualification under their belt that they slogged 3 years (or more) for and, as qualified accountants already, are not as committed or motivated to get the CTA as they were for the CCAB.
  • MoneySavingBank
    MoneySavingBank Registered Posts: 143 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Exemptions for AAT Qualified Professional

Hi all,

Just wondering if there is any exemptions for aat qualified professionals when we go for ATT or CTA?

Cheers'

MSB
  • bumblebee
    Hi all,

Just wondering if there is any exemptions for aat qualified professionals when we go for ATT or CTA?

Cheers'

MSB

http://www.att.org.uk/students/attprospectivestudents/Credit+from+Paper+2
  • Jax0508
    Jax0508 Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
    ATT VAT Paper

Apologies if I have etiquette wrong and have gate-crashed on a thread, but first time post.
    I have signed up to do ATT VAT paper with BPP on a distance-learning course. I was expecting to get study texts by return - I've got mock exams.....but study text not due for despatch until 10/12/10 - exams are beg May.
    Does anybody know if this is standard practice or am I being conned and they're waiting for a reprint.
    I was planning on taking 5 mths for studying and 1 mth revision/exam practice - going to be quite a bit shorter now and am panicking a bit :(
  • sloshed
    sloshed Registered Posts: 100 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hi

I am studying with Tolleys and the study material normally is not released until December, I think it is because they have to update their material for the finance act.
  • jow774
    jow774 Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Sorry also to hijack the thread but can you only take the exams at the att places (birmingham, manchester etc) or can you take then at bpp or kaplan centres if you are distance learning? Im thinking of doing att but am a little worried about having to go 50 odd miles to take exams.
  • Jax0508
    Tx Sloshed! That's put my mind at rest - will enjoy the rest of my "study-free" time.

Jow774 u can take the exams at the bpp centres if u do their distance learning course - but 50 odd miles is nothing surely? I do 25 each way just to go to work every day??
  • jow774
    Jax0508 wrote: »
    Jow774 u can take the exams at the bpp centres if u do their distance learning course - but 50 odd miles is nothing surely? I do 25 each way just to go to work every day??

I dont like the idea of driving 50 miles to somewhere im not familiar with on the morning of an exam.
  • jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    jow774 wrote: »
    I dont like the idea of driving 50 miles to somewhere im not familiar with on the morning of an exam.

I know exactly what you mean, could you go on the train or get someone to take you, my hubby takes me if its not in my home town.

Its a hassle and added stress I agree but don't let that put you off doing the course altogether
  • jow774
    I could probably go on the train. Im not a natural with exams and need to be as calm as possible, if I could take candles and aromatherapy in with me I would, lol.
  • jilt
    I could probably go on the train. Im not a natural with exams and need to be as calm as possible, if I could take candles and aromatherapy in with me I would, lol.

:lol: what about a bottle of kalms?
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    jilt wrote: »
    :lol: what about a bottle of kalms?

hey dont laugh am gonna get some for next sitting
  • jow774
    Let us know if they work then!

I'll be well away swanning off to Birmingham if they do, as long as they dont affect my driving, or I may be sitting my exams in the hedge bottom!
  • jilt
    Let us know if they work then!

I'll be well away swanning off to Birmingham if they do, as long as they dont affect my driving, or I may be sitting my exams in the hedge bottom!

If you're driving I suggest you get there early and take them then. I took some last exam, I think they worked a bit or maybe it was the placebo effect, either way something worked, I scraped a pass!

What option are you stiing first?
  • jow774
    Im not sure I was going to take Personal tax and practice admin but it wont be until next november now as I dont think i'll be registered in time for May. Meanwhile I may take aat business tax to get the exemption as I didnt take that. Which are you sitting? Are you doing yours this time around?
  • jilt
    Am sitting higher business tax or whatever its called, hopefully in May and maybe one other but not sure yet.
  • Jax0508

Point taken Jow774 - never thought about nerves. It makes it an expensive do if you travel the day before and stay in a hotel too doesn't it? What about doing the trip a few weeks before so its familiar to you?
Privacy Policy