PTX Exam EEK!!

stephleedz
stephleedz Registered Posts: 179 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
Hi there,

I have my exam on Thursday this week. Can I ask what written questions people got who have already sat this exam? Just a little concerned.

Thanks in advance guys

x

Comments

• clegganator
    clegganator Registered Posts: 184 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Payments on account were in mine. I can't remember the other one but another good subject to be prepared for is the difference between employed and self employed.

Typical just as I press send it comes back to me. Fairly certain my other written question was on rental property.

One tip I can offer is to read the question, think about it, make some bullet points on your paper, go onto some other questions but try and have the written question in the back of your head and add any extra bullet points to your list. Tick them off as you put them on the screen so you don't miss any can check it reads well without losing your point.

Good luck!
  • Louise89
    Louise89 Registered Posts: 296 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Typical just as I press send it comes back to me...

Last edited by clegganator; Today at 08:30. Reason: "Typical..."

This made me laugh :)

Steph,

I know how you feel, I've got BTX tomorrow and I'm dreading the written element, new territory and all that.
  • stephleedz
    Hi,

Thank you for your quick response. Can you remember what you were asked to explain in your written question? You may have got a letter from someone asking for an explanation on a subject??

Its funny because I wouldnt actually say that the questions on working out rental profit would be a written question...i would have said that would be a calcs question as there is no actually writing involved if that makes sense? Is this the one were you would be asked to work out the rental profit for 2 or 3 propertys after expense (wear and tear, bad debt etc)?

Thanks

Steph
  • clegganator
    As I recall the payments on account question was something like
    "Hi, I'm preparing a budget for my business, can you explain what payments I have to make and will have to make and a breakdown of how they are calculated?"

I can't remember 100% that it was on rental property. I could be getting mixed up with practice questions. Wherever the question came from, I'm sure it was something to do with rent a room relief and the difference and benefits. I wouldn't bet the farm that question was from the exam but it's quite likely.
  • AuntieT
    AuntieT Registered Posts: 96 Regular contributor โญ
    One tip I can offer is to read the question, think about it, make some bullet points on your paper, go onto some other questions but try and have the written question in the back of your head and add any extra bullet points to your list. Tick them off as you put them on the screen so you don't miss any can check it reads well without losing your point.

Good luck!

I can completely agree with this advice! I can't remember what came up in mine as it was over six months ago but reading the comments on here, think there was something around when claiming relief one way became the better option rather than another.

The only reason I "think" I remember that was a day or two later I was chatting to a friend of mine who has rental properties and ended up in discussion about it!
  • stephleedz
    Sorry getting confused.

There is one written question which is generally about Payments on Account. The other questions which is not a written Quesion but which is manually marked is normally about working out 'income tax liability' or disposal of shares?

Totally getting confused as to what you guys are talking about?

Steph
  • clegganator
    Sorry getting confused.

There is one written question which is generally about Payments on Account. The other questions which is not a written Quesion but which is manually marked is normally about working out 'income tax liability' or disposal of shares?

Totally getting confused as to what you guys are talking about?

Steph

You can't assume they will be about an income tax liability or disposal of shares. What I and AuntieT are saying is that we think we may remember the other written question being something to do with property rental.

Anyway you should revise the whole subject not just what everyone has been assessed on because you'll be putting your eggs in one basket when there are so many different things they could choose to ask.
  • stephleedz
    Thank you for your response.

This makes sense now as I know one of the many manually marked questions is on rental property, all of which I have revised. Trying to cover all basis and make sure there are no nasty surprises.

Steph
  • clegganator
    I know one of the many manually marked questions is on rental property, all of which I have revised.

You can't know that though!

There is a bank of questions that you will be asked from. If you assume it will only be one subject and only revise that subject and it's on something different, say assessable benefits from employment or explaining how pension contributions affect tax payable figure, you'll find yourself in a bit of a mess.
  • stephleedz
    I know I can't know for certain which is why in my previous message I said I was/had covered all basis regardless of what question may come up.

I was just curious to find out how others had found their PTX exam if it was anything like the AAT mocks and if anyone had, had any nasty surprises.
Privacy Policy