AAT Level 4 Synoptic Exam

Comments

• Multiplicator
    Multiplicator Registered Posts: 116
    o god Lindi you little heroine ! Many thanks
    and thanks for the Mark Farrar email address
    I heve sent off the "have your say" email I published above off to Mark Farrar for something for him to read before he fails me in my retake

[trying to think positively about all this] Good luck all retakers
  • Kennnnedyy
    Kennnnedyy Registered Posts: 15

As these results show Questions 2, 4 & 6 have abysmal pass rates, these 3 questions also happened to be the ones that i was 'below requirement" on. This surely has to be addressed as these are extremely inconsistent results. Obviously in a paper some questions will be harder than others therefore resulting in a slightly lower pass rate but the difference in these questions is far from slight.
  • Multiplicator
    Multiplicator Registered Posts: 116
    thanks Lindi - read marked and inwardly digested
    " In general, student performance has improved between recent sittings. There are however some key issues affecting performance. "
    even the examiners are admitting and pointing out that the exam is not fit for purpose.
    With the same set of students - if they score X in one exam, ( or pass) then they should score round about X ( or pass again ) another exam - or else the exam is not measuring student knowledge or performance, it is doing something else.

Frankly I am amazed anyone passed this: ( level 4 final). Task 4 - more than fifity percent score "below or markedly below" - and yet the distribution on the other tasks is much more uniform ( as one would expect) and this again is good evidence that the task 4 should be discounted and NOT a reason to fail a swathe of candidates. A decent conclusion from the data on Task 4 is "AAT asked a question very few knew anything about and no one knew a lot about". This is a typical non discriminant question - basically if everyone fails ( and also if everyone does very well) then it is not discriminating ( telling the sheep from the goats)

But this is not rocket science - those setting the exam should be aware of these variations and their causes ( that is it is not due to student ignorance which they are stating it is)
  • steady88
    steady88 Registered Posts: 25
    Lindi said:

Examiner's Feedback for L4 PDSY though not during my sitting, as I only sat on 05/07 and this is only up to the end of June but still an interesting read. Not sure where we ALL went wrong...

Cheers Lindi

An interesting read. What was quite interesting is it mentions only 30% had passed the first three modules before doing this exam. Do others think this sounds right?

So from the graph the pass rates for each question (met or exceeded) are as follows:

1.) 42%
    2.) 10%
    3.) 36%
    4.) 6%
    5.) 78%
    6.) 12%

Only Q5 got higher than 50% pass rate, Q2,4,6 are awful and way below 30% that had passed all three exams before.
  • NatalieSarantos
    NatalieSarantos Registered Posts: 150
    @steady88 wow those percentages REALLY put things into perspective, don't they? Something is definitely not right here!
    I got below requirement for tasks 4 and 6 which is bizarre because I did not find them hard at all so my conclusion is that they're being too harsh with the marking or looking for VERY specific answers.
  • Lindi
    Lindi Registered Posts: 166
    Well, I don't know, as the students in my class did not dare sit the synoptic until they've passed all mandatory units So we all sat and passed them before attempting the synoptic. My feedback was absolutely disgraceful, given I had studied the Kaplan exam kit cover to cover, knew internal controls like the back of my hand and attempted all the practice ones in the Osborne book results came through as:

Task 1 - Borderline
    Task 2 - Below Requirement
    Task 3 - Borderline
    Task 4 - Met
    Task 5 - Met
    Task 6 - Significantly Below

I even attempted the Professional Lucky Dip test on the AAT Study Support and scored 88% - come on.... stop pulling my leg!
  • unicorn1905
    unicorn1905 Registered Posts: 47
    edited September 2017
    I
  • Lindi
    Hi all, if you haven't seen this thread, take a look

https://forums.aat.org.uk/Forum/discussion/comment/457670#Comment_457670
  • MissHermansen
    MissHermansen Registered Posts: 103
    I just want to know when AAT will admit that this exam in all has been a shambles. All facts point to them being at fault and not us the students. For them to uplift D&C and not the Synoptic is completely absurd, as the level of complaints are through the roof.. why risk their reputation over this??
  • unicorn1905
    unicorn1905 Registered Posts: 47
    @Lindi thank you for posting link to report, I have been trying to get hold of it for days! I even rang AAT to be told that it is not currently available to students as we wouldn't understand it....which I told them I found very insulting!
    I have read through and can't see there is much I wouldn't have understood, so yet again just the AAT making things difficult for us students.
  • hangawi74
    hangawi74 Registered Posts: 19
    Hi
    I received this reply today after my complaint two weeks ago !!

Dear Hanan

Thank you for your email. Please accept my apologies for the delay in our response.
    An uplift to Professional Diploma Synoptic, PDSY, results will not be applied in the same way as we did for MDCL. However, as with all assessments and as part of our commitment to maintain standards over time, PDSY results are subject to a quality assurance review and if appropriate, mark adjustments will be made before the results are released. As an Awarding Organisation we cannot extrapolate assessment results based on student’s performances within previous assessments, furthermore the results you may have received for an individual unit assessment are not to be compared to the result received for PDSY as the scope of the assessments differs vastly.

In relation to the uplift applied to MDCL results, please be advised that for all MDCL assessments taken after the 23rd March, all results will continue to be monitored and will have an appropriate percentage adjustment applied as necessary prior to their result release in line with the outcome of the recent review of MDCL.

I am sorry I am unable to provide a more favourable response and I wish you all the best with your future studies.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,
    Paddy Hamilton
    Customer Support Advisor
    t: +44 (0) 20 3735 2468
    t: +44 (0) 20 7397 3001 (outside UK)
    f: +44 (0) 20 7397 3009
    e: customersupport@aat.org.uk
    w: aat.org.uk
  • M92Z
    M92Z Registered Posts: 10
    Doe anybody have an idea of what chapters in the Financial statements, MDCL, and Management accounting: budgeting BPP books are the most relevant to spend the most time going over for this exam?
  • MissHermansen
    hangawi74 said:

Hi

Dear Hanan

Thank you for your email. Please accept my apologies for the delay in our response.

An uplift to Professional Diploma Synoptic, PDSY, results will not be applied in the same way as we did for MDCL. However, as with all assessments and as part of our commitment to maintain standards over time, PDSY results are subject to a quality assurance review and if appropriate, mark adjustments will be made before the results are released. As an Awarding Organisation we cannot extrapolate assessment results based on student’s performances within previous assessments, furthermore the results you may have received for an individual unit assessment are not to be compared to the result received for PDSY as the scope of the assessments differs vastly.

In relation to the uplift applied to MDCL results, please be advised that for all MDCL assessments taken after the 23rd March, all results will continue to be monitored and will have an appropriate percentage adjustment applied as necessary prior to their result release in line with the outcome of the recent review of MDCL.

I am sorry I am unable to provide a more favourable response and I wish you all the best with your future studies.

Kind regards,

Paddy Hamilton

Customer Support Advisor

such an insulting response!
  • Lindi
    It doesn't look like they "get" what we're trying to say. My response is due next Friday, but I don't expect it to be any different. Perhaps I should take advantage of emailing Mark Farrar when the appeal result does come in and maybe even consider other avenues of publicity. I'm not really expecting an uplift as they seem pretty stubborn however I am aggrieved at having to fork out another £250 for additional training, especially as I'm not even assured a pass on the resit. It just all sits wrong with me, you know when you've eaten something out of the fridge and then realise you didn't know how long it's been there, that kind of sick feeling to your stomach.

• MissHermansen
    Lindi said:

It doesn't look like they "get" what we're trying to say. My response is due next Friday, but I don't expect it to be any different. Perhaps I should take advantage of emailing Mark Farrar when the appeal result does come in and maybe even consider other avenues of publicity. I'm not really expecting an uplift as they seem pretty stubborn however I am aggrieved at having to fork out another £250 for additional training, especially as I'm not even assured a pass on the resit. It just all sits wrong with me, you know when you've eaten something out of the fridge and then realise you didn't know how long it's been there, that kind of sick feeling to your stomach.

That is my exact feeling too! I cannot let it go, because I know that I know that this is so wrong! For them to release additional study material on their AAT site NOW just isn't cutting it for me. this information should have been readily available to us in plentiful PRIOR to the first sitting! I am so angry and totally agree with you that this needs to be taken further somehow. I don't think we should giver up- at the end of the day they need US the students to keep running. With the reputation they are developing for the 2016 standards I am unsure how long they can keep going when there are so many other revenues available..
  • jfrecker
    jfrecker Registered Posts: 24
    Exactly, I have now paid for a 2nd re-sit have a 3rd to cover and I have bought all the additional books I can (Kaplan & Osbourne). So what about the costs to us students because AAT were not preparing us 1st year Synoptic studenst with information training materials to pass the exams at first attempts. They do not get where we are coming from at all and good luck to anybody signing up this year.
  • MissHermansen
    jfrecker said:

Exactly, I have now paid for a 2nd re-sit have a 3rd to cover and I have bought all the additional books I can (Kaplan & Osbourne). So what about the costs to us students because AAT were not preparing us 1st year Synoptic studenst with information training materials to pass the exams at first attempts. They do not get where we are coming from at all and good luck to anybody signing up this year.

This Synoptic feels more like a game of 'Escape Rooms' rather than an exam. Trying to figure out cryptic messages and study materials rather than being shown exactly how to best prepare for the exam. The majority of students of Level 4 are serious students who are willing to put the work in. So mass failure does indicate there is a fault with them not us..
  • cmcd
    cmcd Registered Posts: 14
    What is the pass rate for the Professional Diploma Synoptic so far?
  • MissHermansen
    cmcd said:

25% I believe
  • JayKallee
    JayKallee Registered, Tutor Posts: 92
    edited September 2017

cmcd said:

25% I believe
    Where did you get this % from? I don't think AAT has published the success rate for AQ2016 yet, but should be out soon.
    BTW according to AAT figures for the year ended 31st December 2016 the success rate for Level 4 is 65.30%

• Lindi
    I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't release it. Someone should AUDIT them to make sure they don't fudge the numbers...
  • MissHermansen
    JayKallee said:

cmcd said:

25% I believe
    Where did you get this % from? I don't think AAT has published the success rate for AQ2016 yet, but should be out soon.
    BTW according to AAT figures for the year ended 31st December 2016 the success rate for Level 4 is 65.30%

From AAT discussion forums
  • MissHermansen
    JayKallee said:

cmcd said:

25% I believe

have you seen the bar chart above with the synoptic tasks broken down?
  • Lindi
    steady88 said:

Lindi said:

Examiner's Feedback for L4 PDSY though not during my sitting, as I only sat on 05/07 and this is only up to the end of June but still an interesting read. Not sure where we ALL went wrong...

Cheers Lindi

An interesting read. What was quite interesting is it mentions only 30% had passed the first three modules before doing this exam. Do others think this sounds right?

So from the graph the pass rates for each question (met or exceeded) are as follows:

1.) 42%
    2.) 10%
    3.) 36%
    4.) 6%
    5.) 78%
    6.) 12%

Only Q5 got higher than 50% pass rate, Q2,4,6 are awful and way below 30% that had passed all three exams before.
    Looking at that, the average is 30.66%
  • JayKallee
    JayKallee Registered, Tutor Posts: 92
    edited September 2017

JayKallee said:

cmcd said:

25% I believe

Yes I have seen, it gives you the task by task breakdown and feedback from the examiner.The feedback report does not provide the success rate, this will be published separately. Refer to the paragraph above the chart.

• steady88
    steady88 Registered Posts: 25
    JayKallee said:

JayKallee said:

cmcd said:

25% I believe

Yes I have seen, it gives you the task by task breakdown and feedback from the examiner.The feedback report does not provide the success rate, this will be published separately. Refer to the paragraph above the chart.

But if you look at the average pass rate amongst the 6 questions, like Lindi says is 30.66%, and as each question has roughly the same number of marks, it gives you an idea of how many students passed overall. I think anything between 25-35% is likely.
  • MissHermansen
    JayKallee said:

cmcd said:

25% I believe

From AAT discussion forums
    JayKallee said:

JayKallee said:

cmcd said:

25% I believe

how did your class do in this?
  • cmcd
    cmcd Registered Posts: 14
    edited September 2017
    Lindi said:

steady88 said:

Lindi said:

Cheers Lindi

1.) 42%
    2.) 10%
    3.) 36%
    4.) 6%
    5.) 78%
    6.) 12%

Looking at that, the average is 30.66%
    It's impossible to tell the pass rates of the overall paper by looking at just them graphs though. Averages don't work like that. Someone could have 5 questions below requirement (high 60s) and 1 question met (high 70s) and still pass the paper. And vice versa.
  • lewlewlive
    lewlewlive Registered Posts: 4
    hangawi74 said:

Hi

Dear Hanan

Kind regards,

Paddy Hamilton

Customer Support Advisor

I've had an email very similar to this. It feels like they can only say specific things until the review is done.

What I'd really like is a date to when the result of the review comes out. I don't want to do a retake if I'm going to pass. I failed by 2%. Literally a date is all I want to know.
  • GemGem17
    GemGem17 Registered Posts: 30
    I failed by 3% and I'm due to resit in the window at the end of September, but I'm wondering if I should wait until more info is released as I don't want to fail again, nor can I afford to keep resitting the exam at £57 a go....? Has anyone else booked their resit yet?
Privacy Policy