AAT Level 4 Synoptic Exam

Options

Comments

• MissHermansen
    MissHermansen Registered Posts: 103
    Options
    JoJoMis said:

I failed as well. Never has this happen to me before. Even the MDCL I passed with 97%. I came out of the exam feeling like I failed, but I always get that feeling so I was hoping it wasn't so. I am so angry at myself but NOT angry at AAT. I see so many posts saying it's AAT's fault that we keep failing-it's not. Not everyone is going to be good enough and that's just it. It needs to be hard, if we don't know enough then we need to go back to the books and study some more. I know it sucks, I had such a great plan for myself- was going to sign up to ACCA today/next week in hopes of bettering my job search but oh well. No one to blame but myself. I know it's not a popular opinion but I've just seen so much fingerpointing on this forum (and don't mean this thread specifically).

I am sorry to heat you have failed- it must be so disappointing! But my God 97% on the MDCL is incredible and the highest result I have heard anyone have for this. I think the issue with the Synoptic isn't that we are not good enough to pass.. clearly we all are to be at level 4 and many of us, like myself, already work in an accounting role. The issue here is knowing HOW TO study for this exam and understanding badly worded questions..
  • MissHermansen
    Options
    GemGem17 said:

@MissHermansen aww thank you :) I hope so, my synoptic was 2 weeks prior to the auditing exam so crammed everything in within 2 weeks! Best of luck with getting this synoptic one passed xx

thank you! next time has to be 3rd time lucky surely! x
  • MissHermansen
    Options
    hazel123 said:

Sorry to anyone that hasn't got the results they wanted. I complained to AAT when I sat the exam in September and got 54%. They were completely useless and not helpful at all. I took to this forum to get some advice regarding what areas to revise and also bought myself the kaplan synoptic revision set off ebay as the only books I had were the BPP which I didn't find very helpful. I found this really helped and it paid off, found out I got 80% in the December exam. Happy to help anyone where I can

amazing! well done! please share what you did differently in the December exam.. my biggest downfall was the 7 month gab between the first sitting but I am sitting again in Feb so this isn't too bad
  • JoJoMis
    JoJoMis Registered Posts: 50 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    @MissHermansen Thank you for your kind words, I was surprised to get a result like that myself..
    But I completely agree on not knowing how to study. I have no idea where to start just now. I think the whole idea is to understand everything you've learned rather than just know how to answer questions. And that is hard. But if you've ever been to uni, that's usually how all your paper are built up. We all just seem to have accounting brains- know the answers but not exactly how to make it clear to everyone else around us. This is where a tutor/college would help-yay for home studying...-.-
  • AkateH
    AkateH Registered Posts: 9
    Options
    Just had my results through, after failing the first time with 65% I passed the second time round with 77%. First time around I will put my hands up and admit that I didn't revise as much as I could have but like a few others have suggested my one massive recommendation would be to get the Kaplan synoptic revision kit. I've used BPP for every other exam including the first sitting of this but felt that they were lacking slightly when it came to the synoptic help.
    I got an Exceeded for questions 1, 3 & 5 which I knew were my strongest arears and got a significantly below for 2, below requirement for 4 and borderline for 6.
    2 & 4 have always been my weakness so I decided that whilst I would revise the topics, I would mainly put my efforts in to where I knew I could do well. 6 was the only one that I felt I did better in than what I actually had done!
    I know how disheartening it can be but honestly if you've made it this far you are so so close to finishing!
  • MissHermansen
    Options
    JoJoMis said:

@MissHermansen Thank you for your kind words, I was surprised to get a result like that myself..
    But I completely agree on not knowing how to study. I have no idea where to start just now. I think the whole idea is to understand everything you've learned rather than just know how to answer questions. And that is hard. But if you've ever been to uni, that's usually how all your paper are built up. We all just seem to have accounting brains- know the answers but not exactly how to make it clear to everyone else around us. This is where a tutor/college would help-yay for home studying...-.-

Even the tutors in college are at a loss with what to do to help and even they are struggling to understand the questions. I do understand the topics but I cannot answer a question without understanding what they are actually asking. It is all very much vague and not at all worded well :(
  • MissHermansen
    Options
    AkateH said:

Just had my results through, after failing the first time with 65% I passed the second time round with 77%. First time around I will put my hands up and admit that I didn't revise as much as I could have but like a few others have suggested my one massive recommendation would be to get the Kaplan synoptic revision kit. I've used BPP for every other exam including the first sitting of this but felt that they were lacking slightly when it came to the synoptic help.
    I got an Exceeded for questions 1, 3 & 5 which I knew were my strongest arears and got a significantly below for 2, below requirement for 4 and borderline for 6.
    2 & 4 have always been my weakness so I decided that whilst I would revise the topics, I would mainly put my efforts in to where I knew I could do well. 6 was the only one that I felt I did better in than what I actually had done!
    I know how disheartening it can be but honestly if you've made it this far you are so so close to finishing!

Congratulations! Thank you for the tip x
  • MissHermansen
    Options
    hazel123 said:

I think I was very lucky with my exam and completely agree with the cryptic questions. The main thing was to actually learn and revise the accounting systems and controls information, I hadn't really even looked at them when I first sat it as I thought it was mainly based on the core modules. I started my revision by reading that book fully and making notes where I could. That kaplan revision kit also has the pocket notes for that for some quick reminders! Then I just went through and looked at each question individually to make sure I was as confident as I could be with each once, it also helps get you familiarised with exam style. The kaplan kit breaks down the pre-release as well and helps point out areas they may question you on and what to look out for. I would also make sure you're familiar with how to flex a budget as that will 100% be in the exam. If you send me your email I can forward you some revision notes I made from information on this forum :)

thank you so much! I will message you with my email address x
  • Charley1995
    Charley1995 Registered Posts: 16
    Options
    Congratulations to everyone who did pass!
  • JoJoMis
    Options
    It seems I can't even rebook, since Scotland is tiny and there are no spaces left in Glasgow or Edinburgh.. Best day ever.
  • MissHermansen
    Options
    JoJoMis said:

It seems I can't even rebook, since Scotland is tiny and there are no spaces left in Glasgow or Edinburgh.. Best day ever.

Oh no! Could you travel and resit in Wales or England. Not ideal I know :/
  • sharpy92
    sharpy92 Registered Posts: 52
    Options
    I posted earlier I wouldn't re-sit but now I have calmed down I will re-sit in the Feb synoptic window. It's my last exam as passed all the others so seems silly to give up now. I'm hoping for a third time lucky since every other exam has been passed first time!
  • MissHermansen
    Options
    sharpy92 said:

I posted earlier I wouldn't re-sit but now I have calmed down I will re-sit in the Feb synoptic window. It's my last exam as passed all the others so seems silly to give up now. I'm hoping for a third time lucky since every other exam has been passed first time!

Don't give up! It is my last one as well.. WE WILL GET THERE! x
  • JoJoMis
    Options
    We will all be back here on 30th March(results for the Feb synoptic window) to celebrate our passes!

• Lindi
    Lindi Registered Posts: 166
    Options
    Hi everyone, I just plucked up the courage to have a look and I passed with 73%!
    It's not enough to gain a merit but I don't have to do it again. @MissHermansen I can honestly say BUDGETING was my downfall. Despite numerous attempts to gain a good understanding of it, it is my achilles heel. I seemed to get into the same train of thought/frame of mind each time, regardless of the feedback I got and reading the model answers. My brain just doesn't work that way, it was unnatural to have to try and think in a manner which doesn't make sense to you. I don't know your previous results but I only got 73% for budgeting, which would explain my low pass this time round. If you struggle at all with budgeting then I would recommend getting help. Best of luck, keep me posted on the February resit. I'm confident you will smash it next time! xxx
  • sharpy92
    sharpy92 Registered Posts: 52
    Options
    Lindi said:

Hi everyone, I just plucked up the courage to have a look and I passed with 73%!
    It's not enough to gain a merit but I don't have to do it again. @MissHermansen I can honestly say BUDGETING was my downfall. Despite numerous attempts to gain a good understanding of it, it is my achilles heel. I seemed to get into the same train of thought/frame of mind each time, regardless of the feedback I got and reading the model answers. My brain just doesn't work that way, it was unnatural to have to try and think in a manner which doesn't make sense to you. I don't know your previous results but I only got 73% for budgeting, which would explain my low pass this time round. If you struggle at all with budgeting then I would recommend getting help. Best of luck, keep me posted on the February resit. I'm confident you will smash it next time! xxx

Well done on the pass!

My confusion with my results is that I feel I understand the main units and I got over 80% first time in the three mandatory exams but cannot get 70% in this one! Going to keep revising and just hope for a miracle next time. x
  • Lindi
    Options
    @sharpy92 I agree, just keep at it. This time round I did not take any study leave, and I sat my exam at 6pm, after a day at work. I had a headache and though I read and understood the questions more calmly this time, I didn't actually know what to write or how to phrase it. I think it's because I was tired and had a headache. Morning sittings are far better, and also take some time before the exam to study at your own pace, making time for breaks in between or trips out of the house. (I did not do that either and since sitting I wished I had done as I was confident I would fail) There's only so much you can cram into your head and some of the stuff is relevant whilst others are too much information. I would recommend getting a tutor who can revise all the mandatory units with you to bring you up to speed. I got the Kaplan exam kit in July last year, studied it cover to cover and failed last year. Also Osborne PDSY practice book, no help. Then I got an online tutor and I fully believe he has something to do with my pass.
  • angelcbf
    angelcbf Registered Posts: 9
    Options
    hazel123 said:

I think I was very lucky with my exam and completely agree with the cryptic questions. The main thing was to actually learn and revise the accounting systems and controls information, I hadn't really even looked at them when I first sat it as I thought it was mainly based on the core modules. I started my revision by reading that book fully and making notes where I could. That kaplan revision kit also has the pocket notes for that for some quick reminders! Then I just went through and looked at each question individually to make sure I was as confident as I could be with each once, it also helps get you familiarised with exam style. The kaplan kit breaks down the pre-release as well and helps point out areas they may question you on and what to look out for. I would also make sure you're familiar with how to flex a budget as that will 100% be in the exam. If you send me your email I can forward you some revision notes I made from information on this forum :)

Congratulations on your pass! If you could please send me your revision notes would be much appreciated, my email is angelcbf@hotmail.com
  • MissHermansen
    Options
    Lindi said:

So happy for you! Congratulations!! It will be 3rd time lucky for me hopefully x
  • MissHermansen
    Options
    JoJoMis said:

We will all be back here on 30th March(results for the Feb synoptic window) to celebrate our passes!

100% and I will be in Norway Skiing feeling on top of the world! We will get there guys xx
  • Multiplicator
    Multiplicator Registered Posts: 116
    Options
    very well done Lindi
    and the others who passed

and yes I agree - you are far too near the end to give up....
    good luck for the re-takers

mulitplicator ( retaking L2 in Feb )
  • hangawi74
    hangawi74 Registered Posts: 19
    Options
    Congratulations to everyone who passed synoptic .
    I m wondering if it’s worth appealing I got 69% this time and I thought I did well enough to pass this time such a shame by 1% so annoying.
    :(
    Has anybody appealed for the same reason before .!!
  • Lindi
    Options
    The main scare with appealling or asking for a remark is that they use the remarked percentage as the result. Personally, I don't think you have anything to lose especially as 69 is a fail anyway. If it was me, I would go for it and ask for the remark, even if it costs £30.
  • Lindi
    Options
    It would definitely be worth it for the chance at and extra percentage and not enduring this hellish, stressful, soul destroying revision again. Nothing to lose. ;)
  • MissHermansen
    Options
    hangawi74 said:

Congratulations to everyone who passed synoptic .

I m wondering if it’s worth appealing I got 69% this time and I thought I did well enough to pass this time such a shame by 1% so annoying.

:(

Has anybody appealed for the same reason before .!!

I am so sorry to hear this.. 1% is such a kick in the teeth. I have never yet heard of a successful appeal in which the grade has been raised so unless you want to spend £30 on top of re-sit fees I would not bother. Gutted for you :(
  • nala
    nala Registered Posts: 10
    Options
    Congratulations for everyone who passed.

I failed 3th time with 49%. It so dissapointing as I studied very hard... ehh. Maybe next time ...
  • MissHermansen
    Options
    My college is not doing a sitting in February.. can anyone recommend a place to sit it? I live in South Wales x
  • JoJoMis
    Options

My college is not doing a sitting in February.. can anyone recommend a place to sit it? I live in South Wales x

Oh no, same problem as me.. Scoland's full as well, so let's all go to England! Check the Kaplan site for cities near you, they have an online booking platform witch is quite handy.
Privacy Policy