Management Accounting: Decision and Control (AQ2016) Exam

Options

Comments

• SueFW
    SueFW Registered Posts: 84
    Options
    One the the passes in our group got 81% I nearly fell off my chair either he must have worked full time on it or got different questions I think that must be the highest mark I've heard of. The other 2 passes were low 70's.
  • NatalieSarantos
    NatalieSarantos Registered Posts: 150
    Options
    @SueFW wow that's the highest pass I heard by far!! His exam must have been easier because there was no study material to prepare me for the exam I took! I had BPP question bank, Osborne workbook and the Osborne tutorial! Wow!
  • SueFW
    Options
    Yes I know I was shell shocked he must be really clever at working things out quickly. I was ashamed to say I got 59% when he asked, then I asked what he got he said 81% and I nearly died of embarrassment!
  • NatalieSarantos
    Options
    @Suejw don't compare yourself with anyone. That exam was not fair and you needed to have studied a lot to get 59%! I know hard-working people who got 20%! One girl has even quit because of this! Horrid honestly, I really wonder what they were thinking setting an exam like this! An exam is supposed to be challenging, not impossible!
    I am just nervous about what their conclusion is going to be. I really do not want to resit this exam and I feel it would be completely unfair!
  • SueFW
    Options
    I know I feel the same it has knocked my confidence so badly and I have Financial Statements to take next week and I am really scared. I'm also like you and don't want to resit but I've resigned myself to believing I'll have to. It's worse for you as you were only 3% away so it would be very unfair!
  • NatalieSarantos
    Options
    @Suejw i think even people who passed felt that way. I was aiming for the 90% range so I was really upset when I failed. Let's see what happens. I wish they would disclose more info. Like are they remarking all not yet competent exams more leniently? Lowering the pass rate? I'm confused!
  • SueFW
    Options
    Maybe they don't know yet what they are going to do. They need to look at all the statistics I suppose and where people were struggling there must be a pattern. It's just worse for us as we're waiting and so upset we've failed on an immensely difficult near impossible exam!
  • NatalieSarantos
    Options
    @Suejw exactly! Just wish we knew already haha
  • NatalieSarantos
    Options
    @Suejw @scamp83 @DAS007 any news yet?
  • scamp83
    scamp83 Registered Posts: 86
    Options
    Not yet, I did have an email to say that they noticed that I'd been through the enquiries and appeals procedure and to reassure that, despite this, my result would still be part of the review. I imagine a lot of people have been ringing them so they've sent this to hopefully avoid more calls!

I suspect we won't hear anything until Friday now.
  • NatalieSarantos
    Options
    @scamp83 that's something at least! Are they going to refund you?
  • scamp83
    Options
    That's a whole other story...! They didn't get back to me within the 20 days that they are supposed to so I had to chase them up, after this they said they wouldn't charge me. Have you ever used the appeals procedure? You have to print off a form and send a cheque (!) I have not used my cheque book in years so finding that was an endeavour in itself ha. I don't know why there isn't an online form and a payment portal. My first application went missing so my second application just about arrived within the 10 day limit.
  • SueFW
    edited February 2017
    Options
    No news yet, should we go through the appeals procedure if we are not happy with the outcome of the review - will they allow this?
  • NatalieSarantos
    Options
    @scamp83 I have never done an appeal because luckily I always passed on the first sitting. Until MDCL. I was going to appeal it but I got a met for both essays so I didn't think there was any point.

@Suejw I'm not sure how this would work. Technically they should but I'm not sure how it would work. I just feel that if they don't fix this, they're going to have a lot of students dropping out and requesting refunds. Me for starters! I paid my training provider £2305 to do level 4 and if exams are going to be this impossible, I might as well do CIMA or ACCA!

I spoke to a uni colleague today and she thinks that they will need to rewrite this exam but that they will not have time to do it for this year. What are your thoughts on that?
  • SueFW
    Options
    Yes they will need to do something with that exam as they can't leave it as it is surely? They must have question banks from AQ2013 they could surely use those (I keep being told by my tutor the syllabus is the same)!
  • NatalieSarantos
    Options
    Of course they have to do something! It is terrible for their reputations that so many good students are failing and dropping out!
    That's true, I hadn't thought about that. There are quite a few differences though so I don't know how that would work. Plus they couldn't charge us for the resit so who would pay for the examiners? It would be a serious loss for them. So I don't know. The only solution I see is them lowering the pass rate.
    The syllabus might be the same but the exam was NOTHING like what we'd practiced!
  • hertshornet
    hertshornet Registered Posts: 21
    Options
    I have raised dropping out - but our college provider is very tight, unless we drop out in first 10 days after signing up we lose all our money and have to pay the whole fees if drop out. I think college as well as aat should cover any remark, resit costs
    I also looked at appeal, but deadline had gone and as someone said no option for online payment
  • elfountain
    elfountain Registered Posts: 1
    Options
    I took my MDCL exam on Friday 13th January, so I was only 2 weeks into my 6 week waiting period. Therefore I have no idea what my results are/will be etc.

When I took the exam, I found it difficult, with some of the questions fairly ambiguous in what they were asking. And after speaking to a fellow student after the exam, he said his was challenging, but ok. Because of that, I just assumed that I hadn't done enough prep/studied hard enough for the exam.

Then I received an email from my tutor on Monday in regards to the review. I am yet to hear anything from AAT directly.

Only half my class have sat the exam so far. The other half are yet to take it.

I wouldn't have minded resitting the exam if it had been my own fault (but, like others, I have yet to fail an AAT exam and received 86% in my budgeting exam, the second highest in my class with 88% being top score).
    However, if I have to resit due to an error AAT have made, I won't be particularly happy.

I will be expecting AAT to cover the cost of the resit, and I would also like compensation regarding the need to take an extra day's holiday from work.
    I work full time and study in the evenings. I already have limited holiday allowance due to mandatory workplace closures and my other exams. If I'd had to resit on my own accord, that's fair enough. I'd just suck it up and either use a day's holiday or take it unpaid. But I'd find it unfair to do so due to AAT's error.

Does anybody find that an unreasonable thing to think? Am I being over the top?
  • Sealions
    Sealions Registered Posts: 4
    Options
    I also took the exam mid January and am 100% sure I failed (yet to receive a result). I have passed all exams so far with no resits. I am pretty pleased that they have suspended the exams and are reviewing--since something is being done about most of the students not passing. I thought I worked pretty hard to revise, but obviously not to the level of that exam.

I am guessing that AAT would likely have something in their terms and conditions about refunds and losses and would likely not allowing claims for any other consequential damages? At the very very least I would expect not to have to pay to take the exam again.

• NatalieSarantos
    Options
    @hertshornet you have consumer rights. If that's what you really want, consider contacting CAB.

@elfountain I left the exam knowing I had been cheated. I studied endlessly, came 3rd in my class but still failed with 67%. I bought extra resources in order to get a distinction, completed all tasks and practice papers and did really well with those so I knew that something was wrong. So much so, that I emailed them a day after taking the exam complaining. They told me to wait for my result but I knew I had failed. To be honest, I would not be happy having to resit at all! I don't feel I should have to as I clearly knew enough of the topic! No, I don't think you're being over the top AT ALL! I too, had to take unpaid study leave so if I have to take it again, I would expect that to be refunded to me as it was not my mistake!

@Sealions I could not have studied harder. Wholeheartedly I can say that but there was NOTHING that could have prepared me better for my exam. I purchased 3 books (Osborne & BPP) in order to be extra prepared and none of it was like the exam! Us not having to pay for the resit would not be enough. What about time lost to take the exam and revise the material? What about training provider exam invigilator fees? What about stress caused? No. It just would not be enough!
  • scamp83
    Options
    I think it is really quite telling that so many of us have studied so hard and never failed an exam previously, to then fail this particular exam.

I think should AAT not resolve this in a satisfactory manner there is always Ofqual, the regulator, to go to.
  • AbbyCarr
    AbbyCarr Registered Posts: 157
    Options
    Personally, when I was told about the review, I was shocked. I sat MDCL in December and received 89%. Although only 2 out of 7 of us passed, the rest had also failed the previous exam; so whether the exam was at fault or not we will never know. Each exam sat is different I believe, and mine, was as good as I could have expected. I had a multiple choice question worth about 4 marks which was not taught, and otherwise didn't feel cheated. However, I had issues with my Budgeting exam being nothing like the sample assessment! I feel like a review needs to be made into all the exams. I was aiming for a distinction, but after speaking with my tutor, he feels that the AAT have made it virtually impossible for anyone to achieve this. Of course, I'll be happy if my percentage went up, as my budgeting one is low. We also had computer issues, which weren't taken into account even after numerous appeals and incident reports. What people are experiencing with this exam, I felt with budgeting, but as there was no other issues, that hasn't been reviewed; but that's because each exam will be slightly different. Some of us will sit it in the context we had prepared for and others will not, sadly it's the luck of the draw. I'm just aiming to pass now, but feel really let down by the AAT with the move from AQ2013 to AQ2016.
  • NatalieSarantos
    Options
    @scamp83 very true. Regulator would be the next option.
    @AbbyCarr what book/s did you use to prepare for MDCL exam? Was your exam like the sample assessment?
  • AbbyCarr
    edited February 2017
    Options
    @NatalieSarantos I've got the Osborne books, but they're from the old spec as they were handed down to me. I tend to revise from my own resources than the books, they include extra detail that's not needed or not enough. My exam was just like the sample! I had a question on interpolation which made no sense but it was for only 4 marks, so I didn't exactly feel cjeated; although the answer was not to be found in the books or on the AAT!
  • NatalieSarantos
    Options
    @AbbyCarr wow that's really lucky then, my exam was nothing like any of the 10 practice assessments I did, not even the ones on the AAT website or the green light tests or even the elearnibg. I was aiming for a distinction so I bought Osborne tutorial, Osborne workbook and BPP question bank and did all the tasks in all 3 books! In fact there was a question in the Osborne workbook which involved gearing ratio (41.14 was the answer, I still remember) which showed no working out so I ended up asking the accountants at work to help me figure it out! So really I went above and beyond what is required.
    I too, got a question on extrapolation which didn't make sense (the whole of task 5) which gave you the linear regression formula with the seasonal variations but no other data, not even the period for you to calculate in the formula and that was worth 12 marks! My exam was horrific, honestly and I understand exams have to be challenging but not impossible. Needless to say, i feel beyond cheated!
  • AbbyCarr
    Options
    @NatalieSarantos was it like a bus company? We had one like that with lots of numbers to calculate. We had a gearing ratio, and it gave net asset turnover and information to calculate revenue in the question which is how I calculated my answer. I remember a linear regression question but nothing over and above I don't recall. I'd love to see the exams again!
  • NatalieSarantos
    Options
    @AbbyCarr no, i mean in the Osborne workbook, when I was doing the activity questions. I wish I had gotten gearing ratio in the exam. None of that. There was a question on trams and you had to calculate ROCE based on net assets and number of tram fares. That was difference but I did fine in that one. The others weren't. The extrapolation with seasonal variations and linear regression was nothing like what we had done before and it was 12 marks.
  • Sineadp
    Sineadp Registered Posts: 67
    Options
    I found this exam so difficult I couldn't anwser anything, the questions given were nothing like I revised in the workbooks and samples. I have never known an exam to be like this one - I'm glad it's getting revived something needs to change for this one
  • NatalieSarantos
    Options
    @Sineadp I agree! Terrible! Anyone had any news yet? @scamp83 @Suejw @DAS007
  • scamp83
    Options
    Not yet. I'll be surprised if there is a definite decision on it today, the email stated we would have 'further information' by today so I guess they are covering themselves in case they want more time....
Privacy Policy