Management Accounting: Decision and Control (AQ2016) Exam

Options

Comments

• CharlotteSylvia
    CharlotteSylvia Registered Posts: 28
    Options
    @NatalieSarantos No her grade hasn't updated on the AAT website as of yet! That's the first place I looked to see if mine had changed. My guess is they'll probably update everyone once all of the new grades have been issued?
  • NatalieSarantos
    NatalieSarantos Registered Posts: 150
    Options
    @CharlotteSylvia so they sent her grade via email! Wow! Yeah I've been checking on the website hoping for it to change. Dear God, I'm in a state of panic!!!
  • CharlotteSylvia
    Options
    @NatalieSarantos As far as I'm aware it was by email... but don't take my word for it I'm sat the other side of the classroom to her! Haha
  • NatalieSarantos
    Options
    @CharlotteSylvia fair enough! I'm dying here lol
  • CharlotteSylvia
    Options
    As per the AAT website;

Critical information: review of Management Accounting: Decision and Control assessment
    Updated on 10 February 2017
    We have concluded our review of the Management Accounting: Decision and Control (MDCL) assessment, which is now available for scheduling and sitting. Sample assessments are also now available.
    Reason for the review
    Following feedback we received from a number of training providers and students, we decided to undertake a review of the MDCL assessment. The primary focus of the review was to ensure that no student is disadvantaged in it. In order to conduct the review, we had to suspend the assessment.
    Focus
    The review was very thorough. We wanted to ensure that the assessment content mapped to the unit specification, and looked in detail at every task (question) within the assessment to see how well students were answering them. We looked at the sample assessments as well.
    Results
    We are satisfied that all assessment content maps appropriately and accurately to the specification.
    We have, however, identified that a specification mapping document issued by AAT was unclear and potentially misleading in relation to the subject of "idle time". As a result, we have taken a number of steps to ensure that no student is disadvantaged.
    Impact on students
    We have identified all students who received a specific question on idle time during their exam, and have recalculated these results to ensure that they are not disadvantaged in any way.
    No student has had their result changed from Competent to Not Yet Competent.
    Where appropriate, affected students have had their result changed from Not Yet Competent to Competent. Some students who have already received a Competent result will receive a positive adjustment to the percentage they achieved, as this contributes to the overall qualification grade. No percentages will be reduced.
    We will be communicating separately with students and training providers affected by any changes to results and/or percentages by Wednesday 15 February.
    For the avoidance of doubt, idle time variance is a concept with which we expect students to be familiar. Idle time variance maps to Learning Outcome 2.3 – Calculate standard costing variances.
    We are satisfied that a well-prepared student should be able to answer all the questions in the assessment. However, as part of our wider review of the MDCL assessment, we have added additional wording to the instructions for students to remind them that tasks 6 and 10 are written answer tasks requiring more time, and that they should manage their time accordingly.
    Summary
    Although students find some aspects of the MDCL assessment challenging, we are satisfied that the assessment is appropriate and relevant to this level of qualification in terms of breadth, depth and stretch.
    We would like to apologise sincerely for any inconvenience caused to training providers or students while this assessment was unavailable, and would like to thank you for your understanding and patience.
  • SueFW
    SueFW Registered Posts: 84
    Options
    @NatalieSarantos I got an email from AAT this afternoon saying my result hat not been changed. They have said there was nothing wrong with the exam I took!! Absolutely ridiculous how am I supposed to revise now with no resources covering the questions I got when they weren't comparable with the practice assessments? I am so mad have you heard?
  • CharlotteSylvia
    Options
    @SueFW I received an email too stating that my 65% will remain unchanged. I feel really annoyed. I have totally lost faith in AAT.
  • DAS007
    DAS007 Registered Posts: 5
    Options
    I just got the same email! The saying the blind leading the blind comes to mind! What about the people who got 69%, any change in there result?
  • SueFW
    Options
    I have lost faith too in AAT I think they have been totally unfair, I have studied hard for that exam and I still maintain that there is a fundamental issue with some of these papers as the failure rate is phenomenal across the country!
  • scamp83
    scamp83 Registered Posts: 86
    Options
    My 67% has remained the same too.... they're putting it down to 'idle time' rather than admitting they have made a mess of it!
  • CharlotteSylvia
    Options
    @SueFW I agree... our college is known for having an above average pass rate for AAT. However, for this exam only 1 person out of two classes (around 25 people in total) passed! It's ridiculous!
  • PeteF
    PeteF Registered Posts: 16
    Options
    I've just been emailed saying I need to wait until 23rd February for my results...
  • Ree91
    Ree91 Registered Posts: 11
    Options
    I've also had an email to say mine won't be changed. Does anyone know if they reviewed the resits too as I sat this again on the 19th just before they suspended it!
  • AbbyCarr
    AbbyCarr Registered Posts: 157
    Options
    I received 89% originally, and have been emailed to say my result is going to be increased further. I'm confused because I never answered a question on idle time!
  • NatalieSarantos
    Options
    I'm so upset honestly, I don't even have words right now! I need to sit and think this through because right now all I want to do is quit.
  • SueFW
    Options
    I feel so sorry for everyone this is such an injustice I really hope you don't quit @NatalieSarantos x
  • Sealions
    Sealions Registered Posts: 4
    Options
    I feel sorry for everyone too. I won't hear until the end of February (since I took the exam mid January), but I know I will have to resit. I am wondering what my tuition provider will do having a vast majority having to resit and no new revision materials? If I continue do I have to look up past ACCA/CIMA exams and practice them to have any hope?
  • Toni24
    Toni24 Registered Posts: 2
    Options
    It has completely shattered my confidence in myself and AAT. Have never failed an exam (from level 2 to now 4) but the MDCL I failed Jan'17. Despite the errors, typos in the books I read and re-read the book, practised online and workbooks with past papers too, till understood it. Sample said was competent even leaving in some of my errors yet come exam it was completely different and some task uncomprehensible. I feel my Financial Statements exam, just sat, had a similar task where it didnt make sense or was covered by syllabus. Understand they want to make it harder, AAT has always thrown in a curve ball but this is as if no one has checked to see if exams are feasible with the materials supplied to students!
  • Jules18
    Jules18 Registered, Tutor Posts: 102 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    The AAT has carried out a full and in-depth analysis and has determined that apart from a small issue with idle time the exam as set is a fair indicator and any student who is well prepared and well taught should pass.

I note from the forum that there is still concern from many student members. A very quick and easy way for the AAT to restore confidence in its client base is to publish the CBA quarterly results from September to December for AQ2016. This should be a straightforward task for the MIS department only requiring a quick query through SecureAssess.

I am sure that the moderators of the forum would agree with this course of action and will pass this on to the relevant officer within the AAT.
  • SueFW
    Options
    I think the main problem here is the lack of resources and practice assessments which are comparable to the questions that are likely to come up in the live exams. I studied and revised using all the practice resources and publications however I was shell shocked when I read the questions on my live paper, even well prepared students are struggling with this as the failure rate is high throughout the Country. It seems that AAT are not prepared to address this as the same resources are still on the study support area for this module. How are we supposed to prepare adequately without relevant resources and practice assessments our tutors do not even have access to what type of questions are coming up on the live exams. If I were to study again using the same materials I could categorically state I would be no further forward if I had the same paper - this is just one step too far from AAT.
  • NatalieSarantos
    Options
    I agree wholeheartedly with @SueFW and have to add that I was personally insulted by insinuation that I had not studied enough. It is simply untrue.
  • Jules18
    Jules18 Registered, Tutor Posts: 102 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I personally do not feel that my students were ill-prepared for their exam and shared their disappointment with the outcome. Interestingly only students who had passed have had their grades increased from my cohort to date.

I still believe that the AAT producing a quarterly summary of CBA AQ2016 results to date is a way forward.
  • Toni24
    Toni24 Registered Posts: 2
    Options
    I find it insulting that it is implied students who weren't prepared failed!! Considering my tutor was rubbish and taught us nothing. I made sure to practice with all the material available, studied the tutorial book, completed the work book, practice assessments, greenlight and any other exercises and still failed. One student that did pass said her exam was like the practice exams, mine was completely different and had a bit about the linear regression and seasonal variation rolled into one question. For the amount I paid for all of the AAT courses expected a better response. Perhaps like a level 3 student did, should have gone straight to ACCA.
  • ELH25o
    ELH25o Registered Posts: 4
    Options
    I spent more time studying for this unit than i probably spent on every other unit combined. To be told I was unprepared is a disgrace. I failed this exam with 54% because i spent so long trying to figure out what the calculations wanted me to do that i ran out of time to even attempt the written questions. I knew id failed in the first half hour of entering the exam because i just didnt know what they wanted from me! If the exam had been written out in Hieroglyphics id have had a better chance of passing ........
  • NatalieSarantos
    Options
    @Toni24 I feel exactly the same. On Friday I got home and literally cried my eyes out. Don't know how else I'm going to prepare for the exam! I've considered moving on to ACCA too but I've paid £2305 for level 4!!! (Excluding books!)
    @ELH25o ditto on not even understanding what the question wanted!!
  • Anisa97
    Anisa97 Registered Posts: 42 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Created an account just for this!
    I was meant to take my MDCL exam this month but due to the review I've had to postpone it to next month, completely messing up my schedule.
    I'm self-studying Level 4 so totally dreading the MDCL exam, reading everyone's horror stories!
    I took MABU early last month and I'm still waiting for my results. There were a few questions in the MABU exam which I was completely clueless about and very vague - I just had to guess!
    Very disappointed with AAT and truly feel sorry for everyone who failed the MDCL exam even though they put in a lot of effort, time, and money.
  • AbbyCarr
    Options
    @Anisa97 I felt the exact same about MABU. Plus, my secure access froze after 90 minutes so I couldn't finish my exam! It wouldn't let me move between tasks or complete the exam. AAT refused to give us any considerations and I just passed! I'm so upset with the way they are treating students. I emailed them with the incident report straight after my exam and when I emailed a few weeks later to see if they had reviewed it, they said it was too late to appeal my result!
  • scamp83
    scamp83 Registered Posts: 86
    Options
    I wonder if we can appeal? I'm just looking on the Ofqual website about complaints.....
  • AbbyCarr
    Options
    @scamp83 I think it's 10 days after an exam, or maybe 20 to appeal. So for most people who have their result, it's too late :( I wanted to appeal mine for a different topic, and because they didn't come back to me on an email, it was too late!
  • Anisa97
    Anisa97 Registered Posts: 42 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    @AbbyCarr wow I don't know how you managed with 90 minutes because even with the max 150 minutes I was struggling! I didn't get enough time to go over my answers because I was sitting there clueless and panicked about some of the questions.
    I'll have to see what my results are, the 6 week wait is the absolute worst
    Technical issues with SecureAccess is definitely not your fault and saying it's too late to appeal the result is so unfair
Privacy Policy