PCR June 2010

Options
124»

Comments

• hell's belle
    hell's belle Registered Posts: 11 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    I felt there was a serious lack of time. I understood the paper better than I had some others but it was quite complex, by the time i'd finished section 1, I only had half hour left for section 2! SO had to just scribble anything down, I didn't get to check my figures or spend any time on my report, hope that its not worth many marks!

Otherwise, the figures ppl have posted seem mainly familiar
  • EAP
    EAP Registered Posts: 63 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    sulapop wrote: »

I am going to give my feedback on this paper, it was totally disgusting they way they did it today but hey there is always December

I am going to give feedback too, but think I'll wait until the question paper is out so that I can be clear about which questions I didn't like. Apparently the question papers will be available from 23rd June. Feedback needs to be in by 7th July.
  • mazday
    mazday Registered Posts: 1 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Oh dear I thought the fixed overhead cost was a total cost didn't realise it was per line. Hope that doesn't mess the whole thing up for me
  • rachy1975
    rachy1975 Registered Posts: 366 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    mazday wrote: »
    Oh dear I thought the fixed overhead cost was a total cost didn't realise it was per line. Hope that doesn't mess the whole thing up for me

it wont, you will just lose the mark for that one mistake...they then let you carry your own numbers through to complete the other tasks...
  • beaneygirl
    beaneygirl Registered Posts: 79 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I felt there was a serious lack of time. I understood the paper better than I had some others but it was quite complex, by the time i'd finished section 1, I only had half hour left for section 2! SO had to just scribble anything down, I didn't get to check my figures or spend any time on my report, hope that its not worth many marks!

Otherwise, the figures ppl have posted seem mainly familiar
    As someone said earlier- it was the only time that they have stayed the whole duration of the exam. Exactly the same for me. There were only around 10 of us re-sitting but all 10 stayed until the end...and some didn't get anywhere near finished.
  • dappac
    dappac Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Pcr 3hrs of nightmare.

I am so annoyed and frustrated with myself. I have been through all the exam papers. even down to december 2004 and back up to December 2009.. there was no paper i found to difficcult. I revised and revised and felt so well prepared for this paper.

When i opened up the paper and read what they were asking for. I even tried a few calculations. I just didnt know what they wanted. At one point i was gonna walk out. Had a look at section two looked normal.. I Just couldnt get my head around section 1.

I know i have failed and expect to see A N section 1 and Y Section 2.

I felt that i was so well prepared, But in that exam i actually felt like i didnt know what i was doing.. I sat there for the maximum time. when i eventually got to 1.2 i was thinking what and looking at 1.3 i just new i failed, I answered all the questions but i know my answers were wrong..

This is so unfair as we have all prepared and for the AAT to put a paper out like this is just terrrible. I actually felt like i didnt know what was going on. I have attended every lesson in kaplan and have no recolection in revision or lesson of a information being given to us like this.

I even went to a QB day seems like a waste of time and money. prepared so much and it amounted to nothing. what a waste of time and money. To go through this again in december seems all to much who knows what there gonna give us..

what happened to production budgets etc etc..so upset

Carlo Carrington
  • twinmeister
    twinmeister Registered Posts: 122 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I don't think it was all that bad, but it definitely wasn't what we were used to.
    Everyone I spoke to after the exam said they saw the first question and thought OMG what's all this about? If you could take a deep breath and read it a couple of times, what was expected was very clearly outlined.
    I think we feel short changed because you needed very little prior knowledge to pass that paper, you just needed to be very methodical and read the question. There were production budgets in there, but not obviously.
    I didn't spot any limiting factors though which was strange. The flexed budget was relatively simple though. Apart from that, what could they test?
  • TraineeTaff
    TraineeTaff Registered Posts: 9 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Glad its not just me then. only one of my sitting left before time! I feel soo angry because I did all the revision and past exam papers and still think I have failed. the format and questions really threw me. typical, i only had to get PEV and PCR to get level four! now it looks like a resit in december

Couldn't agree more. I'll be back for the December re-sit without fail. Same as you, did all past exam papers and spent hours going over things. Only to get in there, hit and brick wall and crave alcohol!!! It was awful. All of our clas stayed til the end so we are not alone.
  • ema192
    ema192 Registered Posts: 107 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I took PCR yesterday and still cannot believe how complicated and complex it was, A few from my class walked out after the first hour becuase they could not complete it and had worked themselves up.

It took me 2 hours for section 1 all though it was hard i did however manage to answer every question and i got the same answers as some posts on here.
    Section 2 however i had to rush through didn't get chance to do the variance % manged to do the report but don't feel it was anywhere as good as it could have been had i not been rushing through it.
    I did went to Nottingham revision course revised every budget but it didn't help me at all this paper was definitely one to test our knowledge and understanding.

Good luck everyone,

I think there is a general census that people are feeling cheated and upset with this paper and understand if people left without finishing!!
  • tigger37
    tigger37 Registered Posts: 200 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    dappac wrote: »
    I am so annoyed and frustrated with myself. I have been through all the exam papers. even down to december 2004 and back up to December 2009.. there was no paper i found to difficcult. I revised and revised and felt so well prepared for this paper.

When i opened up the paper and read what they were asking for. I even tried a few calculations. I just didnt know what they wanted. At one point i was gonna walk out. Had a look at section two looked normal.. I Just couldnt get my head around section 1.

I know i have failed and expect to see A N section 1 and Y Section 2.

I felt that i was so well prepared, But in that exam i actually felt like i didnt know what i was doing.. I sat there for the maximum time. when i eventually got to 1.2 i was thinking what and looking at 1.3 i just new i failed, I answered all the questions but i know my answers were wrong..

This is so unfair as we have all prepared and for the AAT to put a paper out like this is just terrrible. I actually felt like i didnt know what was going on. I have attended every lesson in kaplan and have no recolection in revision or lesson of a information being given to us like this.

I even went to a QB day seems like a waste of time and money. prepared so much and it amounted to nothing. what a waste of time and money. To go through this again in december seems all to much who knows what there gonna give us..

what happened to production budgets etc etc..so upset

Carlo Carrington
    I agree with your feelings 100%! Once I saw task 1.2 and even worse, 1.3, I also felt a fail coming for that section. It was very wordy and I found it very difficult to pick out any of the information. It was like when I took ECR awhile ago - wordy and complex didn't even begin to expalin it. Have you given your feedback to AAT?
  • JoeyDavis2010
    JoeyDavis2010 Registered Posts: 5 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Exam written by Satan!!

Yup, agree with pretty much everyone on here that yesterday's exam was just plain evil!!! I thought that I'd failed section 1 for sure, but looking at what people have put on here and comparing it to what I think I can remember that I wrote, I'm starting to think that Logic-Me might have saved the day for me (although I'm not getting too excited about that until the 19th August!!!)

The way that they formatted the questions and made you work everything out was horrible, and the fact that they had to give so many of the formulas for things says to me that they knew that lots of people wouldn't have a clue what to do, which begs the question of why they did it then?!! Like a lot of people on here, I'd worked really hard at past papers and the course in general, however I feel really cheated and like I shouldn't have bothered putting that much effort in (especially as it's not like me to work as hard as I have for these exams!!) I am hoping to start an Accounts degree in October to work my way towards ACCA, and I'm really hoping that this doesn't put me back a year if I've failed PCR.

Will definitely be giving the AAT feedback on this one! Out of order to change it so much, especially given how so many people are sitting more than one paper in the sitting (I've done PEV, PCR and DFS this week), and it's really bad for confidence to have something like that chucked in.

Ok, rant over! Going to make myself feel better with cake (have been doing that all week - Weight Watchers registration happens Tuesday!!!)
  • tigger37
    tigger37 Registered Posts: 200 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Yup, agree with pretty much everyone on here that yesterday's exam was just plain evil!!! I thought that I'd failed section 1 for sure, but looking at what people have put on here and comparing it to what I think I can remember that I wrote, I'm starting to think that Logic-Me might have saved the day for me (although I'm not getting too excited about that until the 19th August!!!)

The way that they formatted the questions and made you work everything out was horrible, and the fact that they had to give so many of the formulas for things says to me that they knew that lots of people wouldn't have a clue what to do, which begs the question of why they did it then?!! Like a lot of people on here, I'd worked really hard at past papers and the course in general, however I feel really cheated and like I shouldn't have bothered putting that much effort in (especially as it's not like me to work as hard as I have for these exams!!) I am hoping to start an Accounts degree in October to work my way towards ACCA, and I'm really hoping that this doesn't put me back a year if I've failed PCR.

Will definitely be giving the AAT feedback on this one! Out of order to change it so much, especially given how so many people are sitting more than one paper in the sitting (I've done PEV, PCR and DFS this week), and it's really bad for confidence to have something like that chucked in.

Ok, rant over! Going to make myself feel better with cake (have been doing that all week - Weight Watchers registration happens Tuesday!!!)
    Have already given my feedback this morning...........had to calm down first after yesterday as I was a total mess and almost in tears. It ruined the rest of my day, especially when I was hoping that was it for AAT for me!
  • Artemmia
    Artemmia Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Was it a cunning examiner's strategy to sabotage the students' efforts or weren't students prepared well enough for PCR exam by the training centres???
  • kristina1980
    kristina1980 Registered Posts: 46 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Artemmia wrote: »
    Was it a cunning examiner's strategy to sabotage the students' efforts or weren't students prepared well enough for PCR exam by the training centres???

Its funny how most of us stuggled though! AAT put the past papers on line for us pratice on so therefore you would think they would be a fair gauge of what to expect. I like many others stuggled with section one with content and timing and even though section 2 was ok in content I think I might have failed it as I was running out of time. I dont think this paper was fair as it did not allow me to show my ability fully. I nomally perform well in AAT exams and have time left over. I feel cheated by this exam and am very disappointed in AAT.
    Many of my class are hoping to do cima in sept and this could put them back a whole year!
  • EAP
    Options
    Many of my class are hoping to do cima in sept and this could put them back a whole year!

Why does this put them back a whole year? I was hoping to do CIMA too but was thinking of giving myself a bit of a rest and maybe starting in the New Year ready for the May exams. Do you know if there is a cut off date for registering with CIMA?
  • carlap
    carlap Registered Posts: 31 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    EAP wrote: »
    Why does this put them back a whole year? I was hoping to do CIMA too but was thinking of giving myself a bit of a rest and maybe starting in the New Year ready for the May exams. Do you know if there is a cut off date for registering with CIMA?

Cut off date for cima is 31 July 2010 but you would need to have sent in your exemptions by then so would advise to register soonish
  • EAP
    Options
    carlap wrote: »
    Cut off date for cima is 31 July 2010 but you would need to have sent in your exemptions by then so would advise to register soonish

Thanks for this. I checked the CIMA website and the cut off date for the May exams is 31 Jan so I think I should still be able to take a break and then start next year. Don't know if this will work for December AAT resits though.
    My plan is to try to squeeze a payrise out of my bosses for passing (assuming I do!) and then leave it a few months before I hit them with CIMA fees and course costs. (It may work - they may just say no to both requests!)
  • kristina1980
    Options
    EAP wrote: »

Sorry , I must have been misformed. I thought you had to wait until next sept. Sorry if I upset anyone, that was not my intention xxxx
  • stellababe
    stellababe Registered Posts: 8 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    I was ready to walk after 5 minutes, but carried on not really understanding what i was doing. It was nothing like previous exam papers and this was attempt number two for me, resit i feel but will have to wait and see. This paper was evil, there was not enough time and where was all the data like in past papers. Well if the AAT fail us all it wont look good.
  • stellababe
    stellababe Registered Posts: 8 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    time was tight, I took at least 30 - 40 minutes trying to get my head round task 1.1 let alone 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4 this exam was evil and unfare as i sat PEV, DFS AND BTC this week and they were fair papers.
  • Kashmir
    Kashmir Registered Posts: 8 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Can anyone tell me where I can fill in about feedback for this exam?

It was truly awful! I do however, feel abit better that everyone all over the country thought the same. My whole class was traumatised by it and we have all worked so hard after the mocks that we feel cheated by this as we were specifically told by our tutor that the past 3 papers were the ones we should concentrate on as there the only ones this examiner has written so would be most similar. Well she was wrong wasn't she!

I went though all past papers to Dec 04, and text book, class notes. Felt really prepared and fairly confident opened the paper and was blown away! Nothing at all what I was expecting. I feel I really struggled with Section 1. Section 2 wasn't too bad but I know alot of my classmates simply ran out of time to complete it after the furore of section 1!

My paper was a mess with scribbles and recalculated bits, and then I've still got quite abit wrong on section 1! Totally missed the £175,000 fixed cost per production line. I thought it was just £175,000 fixed cost per year. Dreadful.

There'll be alot of us re-sitting won't there!
  • exam panic
    exam panic Registered Posts: 157 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    don't worry too much

I think you guys should relax enjoy your time without exam to to PCR always slightly tricky than other exam because they make twist and turn so you figure out your answer. So I think they will allow for some mistake you make in forecast of the production.
  • VOG
    VOG Registered Posts: 1 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Pcr

What was that. My tutor only taught us from the past papers so not a chance of passing that. Resit on the cards i think. Why change the papers now!!!!!!!!
  • zainab
    zainab Registered Posts: 31 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    tigger37 wrote: »
    It was awful in my opinion, truly awful!
    oh thank god it's not just me! I walked in, put my pen to paper and nearly got up and walked straight back out!
    Some of the stuff we hadn't actually covered!

I smell...Resit!
    bobo wrote: »
    it was terrible exam, totally from hel - I've answered all questions but I even don't know if half of them were right - and now, what I hate the most, waiting for results for sooooo long.....

SAME HERE .. I hate the exam .. I hope that all of as pased the awful exam
  • kristina1980
    Options
    Kashmir wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me where I can fill in about feedback for this exam?

It was truly awful! I do however, feel abit better that everyone all over the country thought the same. My whole class was traumatised by it and we have all worked so hard after the mocks that we feel cheated by this as we were specifically told by our tutor that the past 3 papers were the ones we should concentrate on as there the only ones this examiner has written so would be most similar. Well she was wrong wasn't she!

I went though all past papers to Dec 04, and text book, class notes. Felt really prepared and fairly confident opened the paper and was blown away! Nothing at all what I was expecting. I feel I really struggled with Section 1. Section 2 wasn't too bad but I know alot of my classmates simply ran out of time to complete it after the furore of section 1!

My paper was a mess with scribbles and recalculated bits, and then I've still got quite abit wrong on section 1! Totally missed the £175,000 fixed cost per production line. I thought it was just £175,000 fixed cost per year. Dreadful.

There'll be alot of us re-sitting won't there!

Hiya,
    You need to email examfeedback@aat.org.uk directly and give the details of the exam you sat that you disagree with. I will be complaining about PCR too!!
  • cerianne29
    cerianne29 Registered Posts: 1 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    PCR exam......absolutely awful

I was shocked and bitterly dissapointed by the layout, wording and content of section 1 PCR. What is the point in revising past papers and being taught the subject in a structured way when the paper was completely different and obviously did not give us a chance to show what we knew or could do.
    It seemed to me that the paper intentionally set out to confuse.
    Also why on earth include calculations such as staffing ratios and show in brackets how to calculate them. How pointless??? surely this should have kept in line with past papers.

section 1.1 through to 1.4 were far too long and people were struggling to finish the paper, i finished but messed up the labour hours part, again because this set out to confuse. Labour was the part i revised over and over but why did they have labour hours per line hour, this was confusing and complicated and there was no need for it, when revising i am sure it was labour hours per unit etc etc, may have missed somthing but couldnt even calculate that there was 2 labour hours needed per line hour and just concentrated on line hours, resulting in excess hours/idle time, obviously wrong. Maybe its just me but nothing in the paper seemed fair or anything like any of the past papers we have seen. and then to really rub it in section 2 was very easy in comparison to section 1 so we all think we have passed one section and failed the other, did he write half the paper and have a change of heart or feel bad?????
    I am gutted, always passed AAT exams but cannot be sure with this one, i left feeling Ok at first and felt that i really read the questions and understood them in the end but now i dont know so much, surely messing up the labour part will be enough to fail????
    saying that i did get a lot of the answers that you guys have posted on here for section 1

sorry rant over!!!!!
  • safrica
    safrica Registered Posts: 106 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    cerianne29 wrote: »
    I was shocked and bitterly dissapointed by the layout, wording and content of section 1 PCR. What is the point in revising past papers and being taught the subject in a structured way when the paper was completely different and obviously did not give us a chance to show what we knew or could do.
    It seemed to me that the paper intentionally set out to confuse.
    Also why on earth include calculations such as staffing ratios and show in brackets how to calculate them. How pointless??? surely this should have kept in line with past papers.

section 1.1 through to 1.4 were far too long and people were struggling to finish the paper, i finished but messed up the labour hours part, again because this set out to confuse. Labour was the part i revised over and over but why did they have labour hours per line hour, this was confusing and complicated and there was no need for it, when revising i am sure it was labour hours per unit etc etc, may have missed somthing but couldnt even calculate that there was 2 labour hours needed per line hour and just concentrated on line hours, resulting in excess hours/idle time, obviously wrong. Maybe its just me but nothing in the paper seemed fair or anything like any of the past papers we have seen. and then to really rub it in section 2 was very easy in comparison to section 1 so we all think we have passed one section and failed the other, did he write half the paper and have a change of heart or feel bad?????
    I am gutted, always passed AAT exams but cannot be sure with this one, i left feeling Ok at first and felt that i really read the questions and understood them in the end but now i dont know so much, surely messing up the labour part will be enough to fail????
    saying that i did get a lot of the answers that you guys have posted on here for section 1

sorry rant over!!!!!

On reflection and having re-read the questions, I think the examiner just wanted to test our ability to apply the knowledge in a different context...and not to recite past papers...fair enough .. It is very likely anyway that in the "real world", things will always be different and not set in stone...
    Positive thing is that the pass rate is likely to be lower !
Privacy Policy