Volcanic Silliness

CJC
CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
Now this is moronic even by the standards of the increasingly bonkers Telegraph
The government agency was accused of using a scientific model based on β€œprobability” rather than fact to forecast the spread of the volcanic ash cloud that made Europe a no-fly zone and ruined the plans of more than 2.5 million travellers in and out of Britain.

Damn scientists, how dare they? [splutter] A forecast? [turns purple with rage] Probability not facts? [head explodes]

If there are any Telegraph readers out there whose heads haven't exploded (an occupational hazard of reading the right-wing press) could they explain exactly how you're supposed forecast things without using a model and taking probability into account?

Comments

• burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Simple just do nothing! then afterwards act upon the facts of the situation!
    Regards,

Burg
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    That's why some budge's always match exactly with the actual costs :lol:
  • JaffasGirl
    JaffasGirl Registered Posts: 387 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    What is annoying now is that they are going on about how grounding all planes was an 'overreaction' -

If there is ANY doubt, they shouldnt fly - I understand that its disruptive and that its cause a lot of people problems.

BUT if the ash had affected the planes engines, and caused them to crash in a nice big fireball, i'm sure they wouldnt have said it was an 'overreaction' then.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    The way Nick Clegg's been acting lately, surely he must have a blue vest with a large S on the front hidden underneath his formal attire? Thus should any plane suddenly drop from the sky, he can quickly fly to the rescue and save millions from catastrophe.

Will someone please put him back into his box before his head explodes?
  • CJC
    I guess doing projected budgets and cash-flow forecasts is a waste of time. I should just wait until I've run out of money and then do something about it.
  • blobbyh
    CJC wrote: Β»
    I guess doing projected budgets and cash-flow forecasts is a waste of time. I should just wait until I've run out of money and then do something about it.

You mean just like the current government left wing people like youself voted into power, Chris?
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    What is annoying now is that they are going on about how grounding all planes was an 'overreaction' -

If there is ANY doubt, they shouldnt fly - I understand that its disruptive and that its cause a lot of people problems.

BUT if the ash had affected the planes engines, and caused them to crash in a nice big fireball, i'm sure they wouldnt have said it was an 'overreaction' then.

Agree completely.

However I was due to fly this morning at 8am. I left for the airport at 3:30 as it was still not cancelled. By the time we arrived at 4:45am it was cancelled. However the plane itself was going to fly just with no passengers. Now that was annoying. I'm now stuck at home trying to re-book / cancel instead of abroad in the sun chilling.
    Regards,

Burg
  • JaffasGirl
    i dont get why they are sending empty planes....surely there are people stuck in england that need to get to the countries they are flying to? cant they take them with them?

i thought they were continuing flights as normal, and the people that are already delayed are the ones that are not flying just yet.
  • CJC
    blobbyh wrote: Β»
    You mean just like the current government left wing people like youself voted into power, Chris?

What has the anti-science (and indeed anti-sanity) loopiness of the Telegraph over forecasting has to do with the way I vote?
  • blobbyh
    CJC wrote: Β»
    (an occupational hazard of reading the right-wing press)

Probably your subjective opinion of a newspapers politics (and by assumption, that of their readers) in a scientific story?
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    i dont get why they are sending empty planes....surely there are people stuck in england that need to get to the countries they are flying to? cant they take them with them?

i thought they were continuing flights as normal, and the people that are already delayed are the ones that are not flying just yet.

Problem with that is then there are still the same amount of people stuck abroad if the, um errrr what's it called? explodes again and all the planes are grounded AGAIN for who knows how long.

Why does Iceland seem to be the source of so many disasters at the moment? Perhaps it will sink under the what's it's name? soon!!!!! Icelanderins or whoever can't seem to control their money or mountain thingys!!!!!
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • flower
    flower Registered Posts: 160 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Congratulations CJC on Baggies promotion. Looking forward to next season with interest.
  • JaffasGirl
    anniem wrote: Β»
    Problem with that is then there are still the same amount of people stuck abroad if the, um errrr what's it called? explodes again and all the planes are grounded AGAIN for who knows how long.

Why does Iceland seem to be the source of so many disasters at the moment? Perhaps it will sink under the what's it's name? soon!!!!! Icelanderins or whoever can't seem to control their money or mountain thingys!!!!!

Sorry anniem, what i meant was, why cant they take people who are stranded here, home. Not the ones going on holiday.
  • anniem
    Sorry anniem, what i meant was, why cant they take people who are stranded here, home. Not the ones going on holiday.

I see your point! I didn't realise they weren't.

I often think that the country is run by a complete bunch of lunatics!

Remind me about this election again ..... is it where we choose some sensible, responsible people to organise the country???????
  • blobbyh
    anniem wrote: Β»
    Remind me about this election again ..... is it where we choose some sensible, responsible people to organise the country???????

Probably why so many are becoming disillusioned with politicians and choosing not to vote for any of the major parties or simply not voting at all as is everyone's democratic right.
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Did anybody see those people on the news the other night who were cracking up as they had to pay out hundreds of pounds to try and get home. This one woman came on and was shouting that she had to pay an extra Β£800 to get home from a two week holiday in Lanzarote and she wanted compensation and her money back from the Government..............she then went on to say that she is on Disability and only lived on benefits.............................Strange isnt it she is living on benefits (paid by the taxpayer) can afford to go on a two week holiday (paid by the taxpayer) and is STILL wanting more money from the taxpayer!

Maybe I should pack my job in and live on benefits that way I could afford a two week holiday abroad!
  • JaffasGirl
    i work full time and cant afford to go on holiday.

I'm thinking i may join you in going on benefits! In my area its the norm anyway!!
  • blobbyh
    I'm thinking i may join you in going on benefits! In my area its the norm anyway!!

Seeing as you live in Hastings - murder capital of the UK - I can well believe that. I've never seen such a depressing place.

William the Conqueror invaded in 1066 and I don't think it's ever stopped being a warzone since...
  • JaffasGirl
    Really? murder capital of the of uk? Labour should use that in their campaign.

Seriously, my day isn't complete untill I've seen a bitch fight, someone shooting up, and a drunk fondling himself on my way to work.

And that just the road I work on :)
  • anniem
    Really? murder capital of the of uk? Labour should use that in their campaign.

Seriously, my day isn't complete untill I've seen a bitch fight, someone shooting up, and a drunk fondling himself on my way to work.

And that just the road I work on

And what is it that you do on the street you work on :lol: ???????
  • JaffasGirl
    I'm an estate agent...so most people would consider that on par with what you was suggesting! Lol

It's not the best of areas...not that I would tell people that
  • JayneHogan
    JayneHogan Registered Posts: 697 Epic contributor 🐘
    Lol!
  • Beautiful_bobo
    Beautiful_bobo Registered Posts: 106 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Can I just add, that my husband has been declared disabled by the DWP and we do not qualify for help with rent or rates.

I work full time but do not earn very much, just enough to cover the rent and rates but not enough to pay any bills as well. So holidays and luxurys are definately out.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Just heard off a college friend she hopefully gets a flight today from egypit was due back when the airports first closed
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    my daughters headmaster is stuck in bangkok lol
  • anniem
    taskey wrote: Β»
    my daughters headmaster is stuck in bangkok lol

Sounds uncomfortable! Master head bang kok ???? :lol:
Privacy Policy