Can they say this

Glynis
Glynis Registered Posts: 488 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
This week I went for an interview for a practise role organised by an agency. I was interviewed by 2 people. They went through my CV and asked me the usual questions and at the end the partner said that in his opinion I was "unemployable" in a practise environment with my current skills. I was horrified at his statement and when I asked why he told me to speak to the agency. I asked the agency woman who said that he had "concerns " about my skills going for practise roles. The agency woman then said they would not be putting me forward for anymore practise roles.
Surely they cannot do this! I demanded to speak to the womans boss at the agency but she was so called unavailable. Has this got victimisation written all over it?
Β«1

Comments

• Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Maybe you should listen......
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Yes, they can say this to you and, no it doesn't have victimisation written all over it. They have no reason to victimise you, however they have every reason to tell you the truth.
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • katz568
    katz568 Registered Posts: 93 Regular contributor ⭐
    Maybe as these guys work in practice they do have an idea of what they are talking about. Yes it is harsh and yes it is horrible to hear it BUT, for your sake, maybe it would be best to listen, the upset and stress that all this is causing you surely can not be worth it?
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    My better judgement is telling me not to reply to this thread but never mind...

Glynis many of your threads have resulted in people suggesting you are not suited to practice right now. Now employers and agencies are saying the same.

It's not victimisation, it's genuine feedback that you should take on board. You may not like what you are hearing but if you want to get the career you want you need to start paying attention and acting accordingly, instead of complaining.
  • Primble
    Primble Registered Posts: 734 Epic contributor 🐘
    honest professional opinion
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Maybe now you'll listen?
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I have no doubt you were rejected by the accountancy practice on your lack of suitable skills, practice experience and qualification. You weren't rejected on grounds of nationality, gender, age, religion or any of the other discriminatory points of the Equality Act 2010. So yes they can do this to you and no, it's not victimisation or discrimination.

The agency has done it's job by listening to the client and acting on the feedback received. Arguably where the agency didn't do it's job was sending you for interview in the first place when you were clearly nowhere near suitable.

But it's not all a negative. What you should do now is open not only your eyes and ears but most of all your closed mind, accept that working in practice is never likely to happen for you and refocus your energies on working in industry where your years of accounts experience will prove best suited.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    blobbyh wrote: Β»
    The agency has done it's job

Greengrocer's apostrophe, Robert. Tut tut.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Glynis wrote: Β»
    Has this got victimisation written all over it?

How very dare they!

You've been the victim time and time again, ACCA, AAT, employers, prospective employers, agencies, auditors, Steve!
  • anniem
    PGM - you forgot about the auditor saga.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    anniem wrote: Β»
    PGM - you forgot about the auditor saga.

Thats true, they were a joke!
  • anniem
    Oh dear.
  • katsutlieff
    katsutlieff Registered Posts: 459 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Has the agency given you any feedback as to the best way to increase your experience?

I understand the frustration of trying to get into practice. We have all experienced the knock backs especially when trying to get our initial placement in any accountancy role. Focus on the positive, you have many years of experience in industry, which most of us would give our eye teeth for.

Good luck
  • noodles
    noodles Registered Posts: 308 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    keep trying Glynis, I am in practise and love it so I do hope that you get there one day.
  • Glynis
    Glynis Registered Posts: 488 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Thanks for the sensible replies. I was very upset about the way the person who interviewed me spoke to me. This is my career we are slating and I know it is hard to get a job but I would love to work in practise as it would help my studies. I know it won't happen in the short term but why should I not be given a chance? Why should all the younger generation be given the jobs? Of course it's unfair but it's also unfair for a so called proffessional to speak to people like dirt:(
  • BeccaLouJ9
    BeccaLouJ9 Registered Posts: 896 Epic contributor 🐘
    I don't think it's necessarily the younger generation getting all the jobs- I think it is more the economy at the moment.

It isn't nice to lose out on a job but I guess every interview makes you stronger and more ready for the next!

Good Luck!

x
  • Bookworm55
    Bookworm55 Registered Posts: 479 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    They went through my CV and asked me the usual questions and at the end the partner said that in his opinion I was "unemployable" in a practise environment with my current skills. I was horrified at his statement and when I asked why he told me to speak to the agency. I asked the agency woman who said that he had "concerns " about my skills going for practise roles. The agency woman then said they would not be putting me forward for anymore practise roles.

If an agency sent me for an interview and I was that badly unsuited for the job, I would be having strong words with that agency for putting me forward for that position.

I have had one interview in the past which was mutually abandoned when we realised that what I was looking for and what they were looking for were two very different things. The agency in that case claimed it had been a misunderstanding on both mine and the client's side.

Thankfully such things are very rare. Which makes me wonder how and why it got to that stage.
    I don't think it's necessarily the younger generation getting all the jobs-

In that you are mistaken. I'm in my late 20s, which probably does make me the younger generation. And not only do I have a full-time job, I am so greedy that I have a second one!
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Glynis, you can't even spell practice.
  • jow774
    jow774 Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Glynis,

I obviously dont know how this professional spoke to you, but try to take some positives from the criticism. If he says your skills arent suitable for practice then they possibly arent and look for ways to gain the skills needed. Contact all the practices in the area directly and offer your services for free to gain some practice experience if you want it so desperately. Yes lots will say no or even ignore you, but in this climate we ALL have to work extra hard for jobs regardless of age and experience. I know lots of so called younger generation with fantastic qualifications who cant even get unskilled jobs at the moment so you are definately not alone!
  • noodles
    Gem7321 wrote: Β»
    Glynis, you can't even spell practice.
    I like to think that this site is for support from one another and to offer encouragement. I think it is very sad when certain comments are made at individuals. I spelt practice wrong too and if I was corrected upon my spelling I would be very upset by this. To anyone trying to get a new job it is stressful and I wish you all the luck in the world and don't give up.
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I like to think that this site is for support from one another and to offer encouragement. I think it is very sad when certain comments are made at individuals. I spelt practice wrong too and if I was corrected upon my spelling I would be very upset by this.

I agree with you that this site is for support and to offer encouragement, but find it odd that you don't like to be corrected upon your spelling.

Just like in most other jobs, an important part for an accountant is communication and part of that is using correct English to discuss things. If I make a spelling error, I can only hope someone points it out to me, as it is a way to learn and improve.

Granted the way it was said, wasn't the nicest way in the world, but imagine that you would have written a letter to a practice, asking if you could work there for a bit and you had misspelled the word. I don't think you would hear anything from them at all.

English is not my first language and I still am very aware of making errors in both spelling and pronounciation, so I'm usually glad if someone points it out, so that I can improve my English skills.
  • noodles
    If I was to apply for a job I would ensure my letter was spelt correctly as I am sure everyone would. I do not write on this site in order for anyone to correct my spelling. I write to ask for help. My point is that this is meant to be a friendly site and every so often there are certain comments that really are uncalled for. New members reading these comments may be put of using this site and that is a real shame.
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    I try and be man about this and put your past behind you.

Finding employment is hard particularly when your experience is limited or nil. Convincing a firm of accountants can be hard work.

Think from their point of view. Do they want to invest all that time and effort for someone who potentially may not even like the work?

When searching for my first role some years ago I spent going to a number of interviews. One of my first ones told me I wouldn't make it and I should give up. Yes it may be harsh but I'm sure they meant it constructively. I took that comment to be encouragement to prove them wrong. I have since won a number of clients from them.

I did eventually get some job offers although some just didn't work out in terms of relocating and the financial packages on offer. One firm turned me down and later offered me a package admitting they were possibly wrong two years prior.

Eventually one firm decided to take the risk. I was and still am very grateful for that as it meant I could put the theory into practice. They even put me straight in at the deep end on day one which worked great for me.

Yes they may have spoken to you in a poor manner and yes you could argue that they shouldn't have. It will not however help you with progressing your career. Take it on the chin use it to spur you on and get yourself the role you want. Agencies have a reputation to uphold and they don't want the risk of alienating their clients. You need to help the agencies in being able to sell you. Make sure you are the best candidate for the roles you are going for or at least that you are someone that may be worth taking a risk on. You must be doing something right to get an interview so you need to ensure you follow through in interview and secure that role.

Best of luck
    Regards,

Burg
  • Becky V
    Becky V Registered Posts: 374 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    If I was to apply for a job I would ensure my letter was spelt correctly as I am sure everyone would. I do not write on this site in order for anyone to correct my spelling. I write to ask for help. My point is that this is meant to be a friendly site and every so often there are certain comments that really are uncalled for. New members reading these comments may be put of using this site and that is a real shame.

Hi nscuffell i completely agree with you! I having only been using this forum for a couple months and i seem to have read a lot of threads and posts with people having a go at Glynis! Now obviously i dont know what has been going on in the past and why people are out to make Glynis feel so bad but i agree we are on here to ask for advice and encouragement and yes opinions but dont need to be put down!!
    So as a newish member it is not nice to read so dont put such awful comments or you will turn people away!!
  • Becky V
    Becky V Registered Posts: 374 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    This week I went for an interview for a practise role organised by an agency. I was interviewed by 2 people. They went through my CV and asked me the usual questions and at the end the partner said that in his opinion I was "unemployable" in a practise environment with my current skills. I was horrified at his statement and when I asked why he told me to speak to the agency. I asked the agency woman who said that he had "concerns " about my skills going for practise roles. The agency woman then said they would not be putting me forward for anymore practise roles.
    Surely they cannot do this! I demanded to speak to the womans boss at the agency but she was so called unavailable. Has this got victimisation written all over it?

Hi Glynis after reading this i think it is disgraceful, yes you would feedback of why you wouldnt have that job but to be told you are unemployable i think it is disgusting!!!!
    There are so many lazy people who are out there and cant be bothered to work and us that do work are paying for them to stay at home!! Then you have someone like yourself who wants a job and a career and are turned away what incentive does this give people??!!
    You need to know what areas you can improve on and encouragement to keep looking for a job and get the right job. Best of luck to you!
  • JaffasGirl
    JaffasGirl Registered Posts: 387 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    I have been using the forum for little over a year now, and I find 99.9% of what is said on here is helpful and kind. People really do go out of their way to help people, often posting quite lengthy answer to questions, and offering advice.

If you look back at the post history you will see that a lot of those that regularly contribute to this forum have tried to help Glynis and her responses have be nothing short of ungrateful and down right rude. I have never seen her try to help someone, and most of her posts are her complaining about how someone has wronged her, or is 'out to get her'. I think that a long time ago, a lot of the regular contributors to this forum ran out of patience, what with having their advice thrown back in their faces, ignored, or ridiculed, as Glynis knew better, or thought she should be speaking to someone more 'senior'.

I appreciate that this is not obvious to new members of this forum, but you should realise that forums work on the basis of people helping each other, and when you keep giving someone the same advice, over and over and over, and it is ignored or belittled, you cant help but think 'whats the point?' Especially when there is nothing offered in return.
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I like to think that this site is for support from one another and to offer encouragement. I think it is very sad when certain comments are made at individuals. I spelt practice wrong too and if I was corrected upon my spelling I would be very upset by this.

No offence intended, but as an employer I think it's extremely important to research the industry enough to at least know how to spell it. If I received an application from a candidate applying for a position in my 'practise' it would go straight in the bin.

As a PP said I am one of the many people who has tried to help Glynis in the past only to have it thrown back in my face because I am 21.
  • sdv
    sdv Registered Posts: 585 Epic contributor 🐘

Hey Glynis!

Who are you?

Surely this is a wind up.

Just look at the posts in your thread............

and you have got all of us going again..............

Glynis, who are you and when will you reveal that this has been a haox.

I love the timing of your post every time.

It's given a lot of readers pleasure and amusement.

Glynis, who are you and when will you reveal that this has been a haox.

No mortal can take this amount of abuse and the bluntness that has been directed to you, especially a woman and in particular women over a certain age are often called G_ _ M _ Y. They don't care for anything.

Glynis, who are you and when will you reveal that this has been a haox all this time.

HA,HA,HA
  • Budgie
    Budgie Registered Posts: 56 Regular contributor ⭐
    Hi Glynis, this has happened to me before at an interview and I was given blunt comments too. It turns out the practice misread my CV, which was their mistake but I genuinely wasn't suitable for the post. That's what happened to me anyway.

I'm all for constructive feedback but maybe the agency could be more specific to you about what the "concerns" are. Then that puts you in a better position to address those concerns.

I've mostly found that prospective employers are unwilling to give feedback on unsuccessful interviews, due to time constraints re the volume of applicants. Some do though, depends on the employer.

Sorry you have had this upset. Some agencies give better advice than others as well, even if the advice is not quite what you hoped for. I've sure had a mixed experience with agencies! Chin up and I really hope all goes well with you.
  • Nia
    Nia Registered Posts: 72 Regular contributor ⭐
    I'm new here too and am a little sad to see some of the comments. Obviously I don't know the history here but if help is being thrown back in faces maybe the best thing is to ignore her posts. Just a constructive suggestion!
Privacy Policy