Your one stop thread for all things off topic (aka "Study Buddy II")

Comments

• Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Rachey wrote: ยป
    I hope not me, i didnt mean to offend anyone with my argument with Rowan

You're not even close! You're opponent is tho, but I think I'm not alone on that!
    Marga wrote: ยป
    ok so lets ROFLMAO together

Let's all laugh together...
    It's much more fun and it keeps the mood up!
    And maybe we can infect Blobby with it, so he starts seeing the fun of it too :lol:
  • Rachey
    Rachey Registered Posts: 589 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    That's a relief for me! That'll teach me, i'll just stop and watch from now on. Well, unless i need help on something or I feel I can help someone else. And in that case i'll make a useful post!

Which contradicts this completely un-useful post..... hahahaha. Oh well, lets just laugh! And have a drink as you suggested Marga, well maybe not now at work though.
  • Rinske
    Aww, I like the useless posts just as much! I wouldn't stop doing them if I were you... Too much to laugh (and drink later tonight) to just stop posting because you got nothing useful to say....

Hum, that sounds bad. What I mean is, don't stop yourself from posting fun stuff, just because there are other people ruining it for the rest!
  • Rachey
    Rachey Registered Posts: 589 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Rinske wrote: ยป
    Aww, I like the useless posts just as much! I wouldn't stop doing them if I were you... Too much to laugh (and drink later tonight) to just stop posting because you got nothing useful to say....

Hum, that sounds bad. What I mean is, don't stop yourself from posting fun stuff, just because there are other people ruining it for the rest!

Well now you've suggested it, how can i stop!! I'll not use any naughty words from now on though.......
  • Rinske
    Rachey wrote: ยป
    Well now you've suggested it, how can i stop!! I'll not use any naughty words from now on though.......

:thumbup:
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    ok so lets ROFLMAO together :)

What is ROFLMAO - is it a new way to swear on here without being caught?
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Roll on the floor laughing my arse off. The ruder version is ROFLMFARO, I'm sure you can figure out what the the second F stands for.
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Thanks Chris!

God I feel stupid now - but I am doing as you suggested!!!!!!!!!!

Mind you I always use LOL as lots of love ....... doh
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    The comedian Tim Minchin suggested MAS (Mildly Amused Smirk) as being the much more probably response to reading something funny on the internet than actually laughing out loud.

I once used to to post a lot of (hopefully) useful stuff. My AAT studies are now so far in the past that I rarely feel confident that anything I might contribute won't be hopelessly out of date, so that's why these days I generally confine myself to the facetious and fatuous.
  • Rinske
    Something completely unrelated, but just a silly question:

We're going live with a new system (an official "business engine") with our company soon. The new system is horrible for finance (and apparently for a number of other processes as well, but just working in finance, so can't say much about the rest).

Now I work on the purchase ledger department and where this was supposed to be a big improvement for us, I can see a lot of issues with people not doing what they are supposed to do, doing it wrong or doing it partly only, as the new system will not show this as an error to the department that raised the order, but to the finance department only.

Next to that, it's all supposed to be a lot less paperwork and instead all on the system, but for example:

If we receive an invoice for a purchase order that is not authorised yet, we can't match them up later, so have to wait with putting on the invoice until the purchase order is fully authorised. (As we just got paper versions of it all now, it's not as much as a problem) So basically all invoices will need to be checked if the purchase order is set up correctly and fully authorised, before putting them on the system.

Currently we got an intray on the system, where all non fully authorised invoices go, so that we can add the purchase orders later and then post it properly. We do a monthly intray accrual, as these are not counted as on the accounts, but show on the supplier accounts so we can keep track of them.

In the new system, if we receive two invoices for one purchase order due to spread out delivery or overs invoiced separately (both happen quite a lot), we are supposed to put both on and match them up. If the goods haven't been received yet, we then got to match them up, after the goods-in department received the goods and updated the system with this.

Once you got a delivery note for an order, this can then be updated to the invoice via a routine, and this cannot be done manually. If this is not correct, you got to delete the lines again, but the next time it would match it up again. There is no option to say that it doesn't match, to avoid it from happening next time.

Now here comes my biggest issue with the system so far: If we got two invoices, it automatically will match the delivery note up to the first invoice on the system for that order (regardless if it matches or not). If you want to match anything to the second invoice, you got to cancel the first invoice, run the routine to update the second invoice with the receipts and then put the first invoice on again.

I have never heard of something like this before. Does this sound normal to anyone?

I know it's not really the right place to ask, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has similar experiences?
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    What's the name of the software and are you quite sure that you've understood the process interactions correctly? I've seen a similar sounding system before when I was temping a couple of years ago - Microsoft Dynamics aka Great P(l)ains - and that was horrible to learn but quite logical once you'd got your head around it.
  • Rinske
    Unfortunately I am sure I understand the procedure correctly as the actual description of the process includes the cancelling of the invoice and the adding afterwards.

The system is called IFS applications 7.5 and is produced and sold by IFS.

We paid quite a lot of money on the system and the consultancy fees, so it's very odd that they got processes like this in it, but apparently if you raise an order, your supplier is not supposed to send you more than one invoice for it...

There are quite a lot of other weird things in it though, it can't deal with customer refunds (which we now treat as a supplier payment and then journalled out from PL back to SL) and paying a supplier in different ways (depending on invoice) is only possiblefor different currencies.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Look what you've done now Rinske, scared away all the other posters. Writing a serious post on the off-topic thread is very worryingly NOT allowed - deservedly so - and I'm giving you a yellow card...
  • Rinske
    Look what you've done now Rinske, scared away all the other posters. Writing a serious post on the off-topic thread is very worryingly NOT allowed - deservedly so - and I'm giving you a yellow card...
    O.o Sorry!

Ooh thank you for the yellow card, here have a red one in return!
  • Marga
    Marga Registered Posts: 981 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    shall we ban????

*HEHEHEHE* in my best evil laugh
  • Rinske
    shall we ban????

*HEHEHEHE* in my best evil laugh
    Nooo please don't ban me!

I might have to work all day in that case, can't have that!
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Nooo please don't ban me!

I might have to work all day in that case, can't have that!

come on you nearlly stopped me posting thats a sackable affence
  • Rinske
    I did? Wasn't intentional!

What did I do? Just the post about our crappy new system? I'm all fed up with it anyways, I don't want it and I think my company is stupid for investing so much money in a system that so clearly doesn't work properly. We got load and loads of work arounds, just to get things to work...

O, sorry!

I'll shut up now, so you can do some posting!

Seriously didn't mean to stop anyone from posting!
  • A-Vic
    I did? Wasn't intentional!

What did I do? Just the post about our crappy new system? I'm all fed up with it anyways, I don't want it and I think my company is stupid for investing so much money in a system that so clearly doesn't work properly. We got load and loads of work arounds, just to get things to work...

O, sorry!

I'll shut up now, so you can do some posting!

Seriously didn't mean to stop anyone from posting!

Awww wana hug?
  • Rinske
    A-Vic wrote: ยป
    Awww wana hug?
    Always, but that would require me to post, wouldnt it? I did say I'd shut up and let you post for a bit!
  • Marga
    Marga Registered Posts: 981 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Always, but that would require me to post, wouldnt it? I did say I'd shut up and let you post for a bit!

u can still type and not say a word.....

my manager does that all the time ....
  • Rinske
    Well, that's what I normally do too!

However there is good news. The weather is great today! So now I want to go home and sit in the sun instead of being at work!
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    the sun is shining here too, rather a nice day. still a bit cold but the last 3 days of rain has washed away most of the snow :)
  • A-Vic
    Made me Laugh

A frog goes into a bank and approaches the teller. He can see from her nameplate that her name is Patricia Whack.

"Miss Whack, I'd like to get a $30,000 loan to take a holiday."

Patty looks at the frog in disbelief and asks his name. The frog says his name is Kermit Jagger, his dad is Mick Jagger, and that it's okay, he knows the bank manager.

Patty explains that he will need to secure the loan with some collateral.

The frog says, "Sure. I have this," and produces a tiny porcelain! elephant, about an inch tall, bright pink and perfectly formed.

Very confused, Patty explains that she'll have to consult with the bank manager and disappears into a back office.

She finds the manager and says, "There's a frog called Kermit Jagger out there who claims to know you and wants to borrow $30,000, and he wants to use this as collateral."

She holds up the tiny pink elephant. "I mean, what in the world is this?"

(folks, you're gonna luv this)

The bank manager looks back at her and says...

"It's a knickknack, Patty Whack. Give the frog a loan, His old man's a Rolling Stone."
  • jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    A-Vic wrote: ยป

The bank manager looks back at her and says...

"It's a knickknack, Patty Whack. Give the frog a loan, His old man's a Rolling Stone."

I've heard it before but it still made me laugh!
  • JayneHogan
    JayneHogan Registered Posts: 697 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    It is quite funny. How is everyone's study going?
  • jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    It is quite funny. How is everyone's study going?

Slowly, family and work keep getting in the way!
  • A-Vic
    not a happy bunny today t in the park ticket went on sale and i havnt got any all my fav bands are playing too - so off to get a very fatterning lunch at 12 :(
  • Rinske
    :sad:

Is there some other way to get tickets still? Winning/ a friend who got spare
  • A-Vic
    :sad:

Is there some other way to get tickets still? Winning/ a friend who got spare

Nope as already have reading tickets and everyone else wants to go to reading - so am having a sulk
Privacy Policy