Your one stop thread for all things off topic (aka "Study Buddy II")

Options

Comments

• anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    A-Vic wrote: ยป
    can someone tell me why is it as soon as you tell people am spending the day studying they feel the need to ring text call for a coffee and twice as much as any other day my other half has rang 15 times this afternoon, just to ask how is the studying going we may not speak for some times as the last call was answered with PROBLEY A LOT BETTER IF A PRAT STOPPED RINGING ME GRRRRR. opps

As for no life so with you there its getting to the point am worried as am forgetting what one is and how the heck i will fill my time when its over?

SNAP - I think you need to just tell the family to P*SS OFF and leave you in peace!

I think I'll be filling my time up with housework when it's over - at the moment I have just decided to clean 1 window each day - have you noticed how nobody ever clutters up windows, you can't leave a pile of 'things' on a window; therefore I'm ignoring the housework and wandering around looking admiringly through clean windows, despite all the other cr*p that's lying around!!!!! :lol:
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    A-Vic wrote: ยป
    As for no life so with you there its getting to the point am worried as am forgetting what one is and how the heck i will fill my time when its over?

I'm worried about that too. I think I'll be sooo bored!
  • Rinske
    Options
    anniem wrote: ยป
    SNAP - I think you need to just tell the family to P*SS OFF and leave you in peace!

So do you think it's ok to snap at my boyfriend if he doesn't want to shut up?
    I think I'll be filling my time up with housework when it's over - at the moment I have just decided to clean 1 window each day - have you noticed how nobody ever clutters up windows, you can't leave a pile of 'things' on a window; therefore I'm ignoring the housework and wandering around looking admiringly through clean windows, despite all the other cr*p that's lying around!!!!! :lol:

True, the housework is going to take some time to catch up on!
  • farmergiles
    farmergiles Registered Posts: 1,693 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Good luck to all my forum buddies who are sitting ACCA/Cima/Cipfa exams this week, may the force be with you!
  • JayneHogan
    JayneHogan Registered Posts: 697 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    Yes, good luck.
  • Rinske
    Options
    Anyone up for swapping jobs at the moment for the rest of the day?

I'm very disgruntled as my purchase ledger colleague is on holiday, the job is too much for one person, so some backlog is expected, but I only deal part time with purchase ledger nowadays, and just this week, so much is coming in between, that I am effectively two days behind on schedule.

And all I get from our assistant accountant is questions if I done something yet (no), when I plan on doing something (not before Monday), why I haven't done something yet (no time, too much more important things in between) and if I could do this or that straight away (no that's your job, not mine).

Do you think I'm allowed to be rude the next time she comes up with a stupid question?
  • jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Rinske wrote: ยป

Do you think I'm allowed to be rude the next time she comes up with a stupid question?

Hate to say it but probably not.
  • Primble
    Primble Registered Posts: 734 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    Anyone up for swapping jobs at the moment for the rest of the day?

I'm very disgruntled as my purchase ledger colleague is on holiday, the job is too much for one person, so some backlog is expected, but I only deal part time with purchase ledger nowadays, and just this week, so much is coming in between, that I am effectively two days behind on schedule.

And all I get from our assistant accountant is questions if I done something yet (no), when I plan on doing something (not before Monday), why I haven't done something yet (no time, too much more important things in between) and if I could do this or that straight away (no that's your job, not mine).

I would be. although maybe more firm but slightly sarcastic than outright rude. Then again i did get called Hitler in training (my manager being hitler) but thats what is required to get men to do things
  • Rinske
    Options
    Well, she is a very rude person and there is quite a few colleagues complaining about it (unfortunately all behind her back). I have tried sarcasm to her, but she just doesn't get it. Instead she just thinks you're joking or misunderstood her.

My worst experience with her so far is over a year ago, where she told me to do something (she didn't even bother asking, but just told me I had to do something) and I told her I can't do that, the system won't allow it and she just kept repeating herself that I HAD to do it NOW and I just kept saying I can't do that. In the end she left a print out on my desk so I could do it later... Surprisingly it never happened and she complaint about it to our manager a week later.

I did try to be friendly, I did try the polite way, but she only hears what she wants to hear it seems.
  • Primble
    Primble Registered Posts: 734 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    Well, she is a very rude person and there is quite a few colleagues complaining about it (unfortunately all behind her back). I have tried sarcasm to her, but she just doesn't get it. Instead she just thinks you're joking or misunderstood her.

My worst experience with her so far is over a year ago, where she told me to do something (she didn't even bother asking, but just told me I had to do something) and I told her I can't do that, the system won't allow it and she just kept repeating herself that I HAD to do it NOW and I just kept saying I can't do that. In the end she left a print out on my desk so I could do it later... Surprisingly it never happened and she complaint about it to our manager a week later.

I did try to be friendly, I did try the polite way, but she only hears what she wants to hear it seems.

i can't be doing with people that say things beind backs. I am always upfront wih people when they annoy me (as one guy found out this afternoon when he was telling me a pro forma should be raised today when its not due to be raised for two weeks. not a good thing to do when im trying to do everything before i am off next week) People know where they stand with me and i know i can be harsh but i suprisingly get away with it when others wouldn't, but you get respect
  • Rinske
    Options
    Frustrations

I don't like talking behind people's back, but she always tries to get my opinion on people, so she can have a rant about them to me, so lately I've been trying to avoid going for a break when she is not at her desk and such things. The biggest gossip in the office however is sitting opposite of me and constantly complaints about her to me.

We had a couple of temps complaining about her as well, but so far none of the managers/ teamleaders seem to agree and instead just accept her behaviour.

Does mean I can't do anything else about it, so I try to just get on with things and avoid her however much I can. (Usually quite good, as long as my colleague is in, as she rather asks him).

So today, I thought I start over, be positive and ignore her. She came to me with a question, as she couldn't find an invoice on the general ledger. I said it wasn't posted yet, as she kept the file with the invoices to post for the past few days, so I can't post anything.
    She didn't understand that, and kept going that I should have a look at her screen so she could show me what she meant (I showed her the invoice as preposted on my screen but the message didn't get through). So I had a look at her screen and I got absolutely no clue what she is looking at, but it only shows the accruals and no actual invoices.

So while I'm there I grabbed the invoice file, so I could do some postings finally and posted the invoice.
    I tell her it's posted, but she needs to run a routine so it shows up on the general ledger and I don't know what she did afterwards, but then started to complain that what I did made the invoice disappeare completely.

At that point I gave up and told her I didn't know anything about her job (true) and she would have to sort it out herself, in a polite way.

Now she is all angry at me and I think that once I set one foot out of the office she will be complaining to my manager again, but we'll see. I'm just frustrated and would rather be at home studying anyways, so I don't really care about it today.

Any tips on how to deal with her in a normal way?
    I accepted the fact she is my colleague and to me that means I don't have to like her, but I would rather get along in a polite way, but no matter how politely I stay and how many times I just explain her I can't do that or something alike, she just doesn't seem to accept or understand it and then shrugs it off as if I just don't know what I'm doing.
    Usually it means I find her asking the exact same questions to my colleague who gives her the same answers. She doesn't like it then, but she just accepts it, while whatever I say, she just doesn't seem to accept it.
  • anniem
    Options
    Sounds like you've got either complicated software or some glitches in the system.

Could you all have some 'in house' software training to try and iron out these glitches? Perhaps if you were all together, discussing what one another wants from the system the software training person could tell you/her what can and can't be done.

I just wonder if it is worth somehow trying to pull the system together and explore why some of these things can't be done, instead of all pulling in different directions? Perhaps if she sees you are trying to be positive/pro-active, she might be a bit better?
  • Rinske
    Options
    Sounds like you've got either complicated software or some glitches in the system.

Could you all have some 'in house' software training to try and iron out these glitches? Perhaps if you were all together, discussing what one another wants from the system the software training person could tell you/her what can and can't be done.

I just wonder if it is worth somehow trying to pull the system together and explore why some of these things can't be done, instead of all pulling in different directions? Perhaps if she sees you are trying to be positive/pro-active, she might be a bit better?

We're all supposed to have had extensive (self-)training, just before they implemented the system. We went live on the first of April and we've had the system on our PC's to test for 18 months before that.

The training existed of us having to test any possible process or procedure we might want to use the new system for and make sure it all works in the way we need or find a way to get it to work. A lot of things are horrible arranged and with loads of work arounds (hence it took over 18 months of testing and retesting just to swap over to the new system). So far noone really likes the system, but we don't really have a choice other then try and get on with it.

Now I'm quite handy in getting to know systems normally, but this system just seems to lack a certain logic to me and they restricted access for everyone to just the bare minimum and no extra bits, to reflect the role of people. (They messed it up horribly but by now most of the stuff is working, although I still can't do parts of my job without asking someone else to check some balances for me, because they haven't fixed the access rights yet and I think this might be the same for her, but so far everyone else in finance can do everything after a few emergency fixes).

She got access to certain parts of the system, which I am not allowed access to and vice versa, which should work, and so far every time she asked me how to see something on purchase ledger I have been able to show it on her screen and explained her how to use it. The problem is, we're both not from the UK originally and I think we both could do with a course on communications, but even though I am keeping an eye on the internal courses, so far nothing suitable has come up yet.

The points where it goes wrong is when she tells me she doesn't see something on her screen and when I have a look in general, before I can see what I am looking at (all screens in the new system look the same), she tells me it's not there and then doesn't have the patience to give me some time to see what she is looking for ans where she would be able to find it.

My manager has suggested to have another sit down with her in this month to discuss things with the two of them to see what she needed and how she would be able to get it out of the system, but that got discarded by my colleague, because she said she already knows.

I've worked with her for over 2 years now and in those two years she has made it pretty clear to me that my position in the company is a lot lower than hers and just based on that, I really don't think I could suggest it and be taken seriously.

Sorry, another wall of text from me! :ohmy:
  • anniem
    Options
    Oh dear, if her attitude is like that then it's probably best if you just blame the system and suggest she takes her problem to her manager; emphasise that in your lowly position you don't have as much access to information as she does and maybe suggest to her that in her position she should have more access. Send her to her boss feeling really important and like it isn't good enough that she doesn't have better authorisation in her position, then her boss can see what she's really like!

Perhaps that might make her a bit happier that you acknowledge just 'how important she is' too!!!!!

I think communication can be an enormous problem, especially if both of you are not working in your mother tongue.

I'd probably be inclined to be really nice and make her feel very important, just to keep her off my tail.
  • Rinske
    Options
    I'm so going to try that!
    Thank you for the advice!

I also reread some of my posts and realised how negative I was sounding again, not my usual self, so I'm going to try to be more positive and less negative again from now on!

On another note, I found a really interesting job advert in London today and am wondering if I should apply, but my boyfriend said he is not going to move with me if I get the job, which is kind of an issue.
  • anniem
    Options
    I'm so going to try that!
    Thank you for the advice!

I also reread some of my posts and realised how negative I was sounding again, not my usual self, so I'm going to try to be more positive and less negative again from now on!

On another note, I found a really interesting job advert in London today and am wondering if I should apply, but my boyfriend said he is not going to move with me if I get the job, which is kind of an issue.

It's not an issue - remind him that he's JUST a boyfriend, if he wants you to just hang around he's got to rethink!

You could find a much richer boyfriend working in London ..... my friend has just moved up there and is earing sooooo much more money and is having a fab time, she's out partying all the time and has ABSOLUTELY NO REGRETS.

Even if you just go for the interview it'll be fantastic experience!
  • Rinske
    Options
    I kind of doubt I would even get an interview, but am tempted to try anyways. If it's no, then it's fine with me, if it's a yes, I can always decide if I take it or not.
  • anniem
    Options
    I kind of doubt I would even get an interview, but am tempted to try anyways. If it's no, then it's fine with me, if it's a yes, I can always decide if I take it or not.

You'll not get an interview if you don't apply. Nothing to lose by trying!
  • Rinske
    Options
    So true!

The job is just really one I would like, apart from maybe the expected overtime, but I can live with that for a while, so I wouldn't even mind moving for it. So I'm not sure why I haven't even started on my letter yet...
  • anniem
    Options
    This thread was over half way down the page - on principle I didn't want it to end up on page 2.
  • Rinske
    Options
    Well, the good news is I just submitted my letter and resume for the job.

I doubt I'll hear anything back, but if I don't try, I'm sure I won't get it!

:D
  • anniem
    Options
    Well, the good news is I just submitted my letter and resume for the job.

I doubt I'll hear anything back, but if I don't try, I'm sure I won't get it!

Well done you!

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Good luck ;)
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Well done you!

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Good luck ;)

I just wish it was that easy for me ?
  • Rinske
    Options
    Why is it not that simple for you then Mark?

Anyways, also new question, work related, but looking for people's opinions.

Our income controller is on holiday this week and I'm covering for her, I was out of the office for the past two days and when I came back this morning, I had quite a few emails waiting to be read, for the job.

One of them was from a colleague who wanted some cash. All fine, two forms filled in both cash advances, both authorised, nothing new there. One of the forms is some Euros for her travel next week and it fits within the company's limits, so I made up the envelope and put it ready for her to pick up today.

The other is a funny one, she filled in a cash advance form, while she already paid it. This means, it should have been an expense claim form instead of a cash advance. So I emailed her back saying I won't do that one, as it's over 15 pounds and she will get it paid via her salary, rather than cash.

(Standard procedure for expense claims over 15, due to the petty cash going down too fast otherwise, everyone has been informed of this and have been given a clear deadline to which expenses need to be submitted to be paid in the next salary run).

She also send an email that one of her colleagues has paid a hotelnight somewhere from her own credit card in advance, because she had to stay the night in a town too far to travel home. I'm all fine with this, but again she filled in a cash advance sheet. She emailed this yesterday and this morning she emails me if she could pick this one up as well as a cheque.

I emailed her back that as both have been paid already, they are not officially cash advances, so I want to check with our income controller as she is back on Monday. I have not enough knowledge of the specific rules on expenses to say this can be arranged or not and even if it was, I would not be able to raise a cheque and get it signed in the time she suggested.

So she comes to pick up the travel money and starts discussing with me that they both would need the rest of the money to pay off their creditcards at the end of the month and that getting this paid by salary at the end of July is just too late, because they need to pay before, hence she filled in the cash advances, so she would just get the money.

Now as much as I understand her reasoning. Both expense claims are already paid and therefore not cash advances, next to that, it is not my fault she only raised these claims yesterday instead of within the deadline for the June payroll. To top that up both claims should have been paid in advance by company credit card (according to our procedures) and she is responsible for arranging this and in her department there is a general credit card for the department for bookings like that and quite a few people have one in their own name, so there should have been at least one credit card available to use..

Would you give her the cash in advance still or would you just tell her to suck it up and follow procedures?

Sorry for the long story, but was wondering about people's opinions. I very strongly feel that she should have followed procedure and that this should just be paid in July even though this is quite harsh, because they have to pay off their credit cards.
  • jenny3549
    jenny3549 Registered Posts: 472 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    This isn't mean to sound harsh but.... rules are rules. I'm afraid that I would say no. I used to run the payroll for a group of companies with branches and factories all over the country. I had to have very strict rules about cut off times for claims etc otherwise it would have been a nightmare.

Also, if you do it this time other people will expect you to do it for them.

Like I said it sounds harsh but sometimes you need to apply the rules. I would just tell her that you don't have the authority to overide the rules and if she has a problem she will need to speak to the manager on Monday.
  • Rinske
    Options
    Thanks!

Makes me think I might not be evil for telling her no, as she seemed very annoyed with me when I said I wanted to discuss it with our income controller on Monday.
  • JaffasGirl
    JaffasGirl Registered Posts: 387 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    I wouldnt feel bad. Sounds like she might be trying to take advantage of the fact that this is not your normal role. Do you think that the income controller would have said yes?

Like the above poster said - she didnt follow the rules - thats her problem. If she gets snippy refer her to your manager. at least its only your problem for another seven hours!!
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I think the fact that they know the rules and asked anyway knowing that the controller is off says a lot and yes they said their credit card bill is due by the end of the month but is it the end of the month yet?. I wouldnt feel bad at all the rules are there to protect both parties and if they dont like it lump it and let them try monday (if they even do try).

Good for you sticking to your guns shows a professional approach to the extra duties you were given and that you could be trusted and replied open next time :)

O and the reason she got annoyied is she knows she will look a fool for trying it on
  • Rinske
    Options
    Thanks! Makes me feel a lot better.

I have put a note down for the income controller explaining the situation, and that I like to know what she would do, so I know it for the next time. As the colleague is travelling next week's Monday, she asked me to take it up with the income controller in her place.
    Our income controller is a very nice person who often says yes to things like this, depending on the situation, but that's usually only if it is late because a manager was on holiday and therefore couldn't authorise or other specific reasons. That's definitely not the case here, so I doubt she will agree.

I'm just a bit careful in giving anyone money, as one of the first times I did it last year, I made the mistake of giving someone what they asked for (fuel compensation) and didn't realise it was over the maximum. When our income controller came back from her holiday she just left it at that and said it didn't matter, but I felt pretty bad for handing out too much company money to a colleague. (We're talking about less than 5 pounds, but it wasn't about the amount, but the point I did it wrong).

She then showed me where I could find the procedures to check next time (she kept them in a protected file) and shortly after we got an update from our finance director with all the new rules and procedures, which is emailed to everyone across the company and accessible for everyone on the server to check, so at least now I can always check if the amounts are within the limits etc.

Even though I assist our income controller on a daily base since April this year, in general I don't do the expense claims, but just deal with the sales from our stores, websales and so on and the pettycash claims from our stores. So I feel I haven't really got enough knowledge of the procedures to just give people exceptions.

Earlier this week someone asked for a cash advance of 250 pounds, it just seem like a lot of money to me to just give someone without checking if it's right or not. (In that case it was right and I happily gave it to her, but as a general rule I like to double check before giving out lots of cash to people.)
  • anniem
    Options
    Yep definately stick with the rules Rinske - they are also there to protect you from this sort of abuse!

Also, it does occur to me that she knew she was going abroad for a while. It didn't just happen yesterday. Why does she leave it until the last minute to sort the money out? This is her lookout, not yours!!!
Privacy Policy