Your one stop thread for all things off topic (aka "Study Buddy II")

Options

Comments

• Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Well, your comment made me smile. :)

I agree, but the first time it was mentioned, there was a suggestion I might be able to do it if I can find some time. Now it's all of a sudden decided already and it is also decided for me that I don't have time...

I just like the option of planning my own time, I have that here so far, but not if they don't tell me what they got waiting.

Anyways, I've been a bit frustrated with work lately, with me waiting since early June (I think) on my new job description and possibly job title, not hearing anything.

Also before I always had the option of walking out and not caring too much, because I expected to be made redundant somewhere in the past 3 months. I managed to take over some other work and don't have to worry anymore, but now my boyfriend's job is on the line, so walking out isn't an option anymore.

Besides that they decided that they won't talk about possible study funding, until I got the AAT results back and then I basically have to wait till November for my half yearly appraisal to discuss things and they want to have a say in study provider and the order in which to take units and stuff like that. I just wish they were clearer about things.

Don't get me wrong, I can easily start on my own, but they won't give me any funding at all in that case, so I would be better off waiting and see if I can manage some study days or funding.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Cool, Millionaire on speed. Now the only thing that's missing is a jeopardy lifeline where you can stay in the game if you take a custard pie in the face from Tiswas Tarrant (studded with nails).
  • blobbyh
    Options
    Been watching it twenty minutes and it's still as bollocks as ever, if not worse.
  • Rinske
    Options
    Well, our new software apparently died completely yesterday evening. After a long week of being horribly slow and not performing it's tasks properly...

In the best case scenario it will be available around 9, in the worst case scenario it will be available about 3 o'clock.

Sooo now started writing a finance manual for purchase ledger and the next step is for the income controller just to have something to do.

Needless to say, I'm bored already! If I had known, I would have brought a book...
  • JaffasGirl
    JaffasGirl Registered Posts: 387 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    grrrrrr

My boss has been saying lately that he will dock my pay for things.

For example, i booked an appointment whilst he was out of the office for our security system to be serviced, they called us and said it was the yearly service.

I told my boss and he was like 'oh they charge us for that you should have asked me first', so I asked if he wanted me to call back and cancel (they hadnt told me it would cost anything, I was under the impression it was a 'guaranty' type thing, its only about two years old) and he said no, that he would call them, and that i have to remind him or hes going to take the cost out of my pay.

Now, no matter how many times i remind him of things, he still forgets (and i get blamed), but I cant see this being legal surely?

I've had a look on the internet, but the information is generally about people being late for work.

I'm salaried, not sure if it makes any difference.
  • Rinske
    Options
    Legally I got no clue if that would be allowed or not, but it does seem very unfair!

Hopefully he forgets about taking it from your salary on his own accord, because it seems very unfair.

Also isn't the yearly service of the security system a health and safety point and therefore mandatory anyways?
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Can't you use outlook to put an appointment in his diary to remind him? Then if he tries to blame you, you can say it was in your diary!
  • blobbyh
    Options
    Can't you just say that while the action of his docking your salary might only be borderline legal, your counter-action of repeatedly stabbing him in the back with a huge kitchen knife caused by his own first action, abso-f*cking-lutely will be?

Wouldn't we all like to say that?
  • jenny3549
    jenny3549 Registered Posts: 472 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    There are very strict rules about what can be deducted from an employees salary - something like that does not fall within them so, categorically no, he cannot do that. If he does write to him pointing out that he has made an 'unlawful deduction from earnings' and ask for it to be reimbursed immediately or you will unfortunately have to take the matter to an employment tribunal.

Bit drastic I know but the bottom line is that he can't!
  • JaffasGirl
    Options
    Thank you!

Didnt think he could!

What kind of things can he deduct? just so i know future reference....

I dont know if he will, i think hes just trying to threaten me with it. but its worrying, as its not something i can control really. I think i read somewhere that you have to agree in writing to a deduction, so i would hope his accountant (who does the payroll) wouldnt do it without that anyway.

But thanks everyone - my boss is all manners of arse which is one of many reasons i would love a new job! lol

ps. blobbyh i do like you idea....lol wouldnt be out of place in Hastings either...
  • jenny3549
    Options
    Standard deductions not needing prior agreement in writing would basically be overpayments, the usual tax and NIC, union fees, company loans etc etc. Anything else needs your prior agreement but even then with something like this there would need to be a clause already in your contract to say that mistakes could be deducted.

To be honest there isn't a hope in hell that this would stand up under current employment legislation. The only time an employment tribunal would agree to uphold a contract clause for deductions other than the ones above would be for training fees ie if your employer paid for training for you and the clause said that you would have to reimburse it if you left within a certain time - but even then the tribunal would only uphold it if the timescale were judged to be reasonable so for example, if the course cost ยฃ200 and the contract stated repayment if leaving within 5 years that would fail.

Hope all that makes sense!
  • JaffasGirl
    Options
    It does, thank you!

Really appreciate it, just means that if he says it again I can stick my middle finger up and say 'give it your best shot' well mentally at least...lol

I don't really have a contract as such, more a letter which says when I work, and how much I get paid. Not that it was something I signed. I suppose this is in effect my contract.

But again thank you! Made me feel much better!
  • jenny3549
    Options
    You're welcome! And yes, don't worry about not having a physical contract - it just means that the standard employment laws apply and you are completely protected.

Mentally sticking two fingers up (while smiling sweetly) works for me a lot!!!!
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
  • Rinske
    Options
    Does that mean you will go there Saturday, so you can have a look, while pretending to work? :)
  • A-Vic
    Options
    Rinske wrote: ยป
    Does that mean you will go there Saturday, so you can have a look, while pretending to work? :)

No tomorrow while am at work lol,
  • jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    A-Vic wrote: ยป

Beats mine, I've got a petshop!
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    totally random but i have just been shopping and in our local supermarket there is a whole aisle dedicated to jamie Oliver and the instructions are all in English. This is really surprising as the germans tend not to do the british thing, although there are thousands of us here. They might stock bacon and proper sausages soon

Tracy
  • blobbyh
    Options
    taskey wrote: ยป
    ... in our local supermarket there is a whole aisle dedicated to jamie Oliver

I think we'd happily donate the annoying twat himself if you really want him. Please.
  • taskey
    Options
    oh hello, yes please - he can come and "cook" for me any time lol
  • blobbyh
    Options
    I'll send him over in a few weeks, once I've hunted him down. Help save us from those equally annoying Sainsbollocks Christmas adverts.

Do you want Richard Hammond too while I'm thinking about it?
  • taskey
    Options
    see i miss all of those adverts, all of ours are blocked by our wonderful BFBS!!!!

Now thinking about Richard Hammond - no thanks, he would ruin my car, thanks anyway
  • A-Vic
    Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/chefs/gino_dacampo

this one we have cooking here tomorrow at the festival
  • taskey
    Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/chefs/gino_dacampo

this one we have cooking here tomorrow at the festival

he'll do, send him over too :001_tongue:
  • A-Vic
    Options
    taskey wrote: ยป
    he'll do, send him over too

i would but dont wana narr na :001_tt2:
  • Rinske
    Options
    Taskey, I'll be flying to Germany at the end of August, I'll try and fit Jamie in my suitcase for you...

But you're not really missing much by not getting the adverts though!
  • A-Vic
    Options

ok i take it back 2 hours of drums is enough to drive anyone potty (barrr humbug)
  • Rinske
    Options
    Would you like to swap office the rest of the day then?

I could do with a swap from the burning smell of downstairs usual accidental burning session...
  • A-Vic
    Options
    trust me after six hours of smelling hog roast banging drums and screaming kids you would want to swop back lol
  • A-Vic
    Options
    trust me after six hours of smelling hog roast banging drums and screaming kids you would want to swop back lol

and thats just the boss :lol:
Privacy Policy