MAC - June 2010

Options

Comments

• A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    starting to feel better now was a right state when i came out thinking i would get zero for task 2.2 but if i did correct workings and came up with some right amswers (from what ive read here) i should at least get some marks for it?
  • Mog17
    Mog17 Registered Posts: 91 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Sorry it definately says 2.2 b iv and v The revised Gross proft and net profit.
    They said we could take the exam paper so I have it infront of me.

Phew thank goodness!!!
  • mickeymacca
    mickeymacca Registered Posts: 31 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    the figure for raw material was quoted divide that by the Cost of Sales and times by 365.
    Its just the stock turnover figure I think,
  • umerali2003
    umerali2003 Registered Posts: 400 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    A-Vic wrote: »
    starting to feel better now was a right state when i came out thinking i would get zero for task 2.2 but if i did correct workings and came up with some right amswers (from what ive read here) i should at least get some marks for it?

thats really good vic but u know i didnt show any workings on task 2.2 if i didnt get it right then i will get a zero plus i didnt write any formulaes. Real short on time on task 2.2 will i fail ?
  • Mog17
    Options
    yea i almost wrote the same things in detail because the question it self demanded 60 mintues so i thought examiner require more

me too, didn't notice the time allocation but did write pages - same mentioned TQM and value engineering, cost of quality etc.
  • Faraa
    Faraa Registered Posts: 9 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Mog17 wrote: »
    Oh crap, did they ask for revised gross profit and net profit margins? I thought it was just the absolute figures not the ratios they wanted there!!! Bugger! There goes a couple of points for me!
    no, you are right-i didn't read the question properly...
  • mickeymacca
    Options
    Actually the reason I don't recognise that figure is because as already stated it asked for the Gross profit and Net Profit and not the margins, but if you have done a new PandL account I am sure you will get marks for that.
  • Mog17
    Options
    jojo1966 wrote: »
    go on then.....how do you calculate raw material turnover??

cant find it in my book

I did it as stock of raw material divided by total expenditure on materials in the year x 365

Used the full cost of sales for the finished goods stock turnover
  • jojo1966
    jojo1966 Registered Posts: 21 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    the figure for raw material was quoted divide that by the Cost of Sales and times by 365.
    Its just the stock turnover figure I think,

yeah but wasnt there also a stock turnover figure required?? surely they wouldnt ask for the same thing twice??
  • speegs
    speegs Registered Posts: 854 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Actually the reason I don't recognise that figure is because as already stated it asked for the Gross profit and Net Profit and not the margins, but if you have done a new PandL account I am sure you will get marks for that.

Remember everyone. You get marks for all of your workings. Therefore if you have calculated your gross and net profits figures correctly but then gone on the calculate the margins aswell, I would be surprised if you lose very many marks.

Good luck everyone.

Speegs
  • umerali2003
    Options
    yeah but wasnt there also a stock turnover figure required?? surely they wouldnt ask for the same thing twice??

i think i got this one wrong mine was 255 days for the raw material and for finished goods 345 some thing days
  • mini_schnauzer
    mini_schnauzer Registered Posts: 347 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I did it as stock of raw material divided by total expenditure on materials in the year x 365

Used the full cost of sales for the finished goods stock turnover

Mog17 - I used the same as you for both
  • C2XVT
    C2XVT Registered Posts: 62 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    2.2 b) Yep I got £144 for revised material. The revised GP and NP was for the figure not a percentage as it asked for the Revised gross profit not gross profit margin.

Loads of writing. I left after exactly 3 hours of solid writing. My arm feels like Mr Bean.

Yeah that was the £160 - 10% (£16) = £144
  • mickeymacca
    Options

One was for raw material and one was for closing stock, the other calculation quoted using materials (purchases) used is normally used for creditor turnover but I have seen examples where both figures are given in previous exams
  • umerali2003
    Options
    every body make sure to fill in the feedback and bombard task 2.2 as the worst question . i read in aat magazine that before setting up the passing rate they do take a very deep look at feedback from the canditates
  • C2XVT
    Options
    For section two ratio's, were they supposed to be done againt the Budgeted units, Actual units or both? :-/
  • mini_schnauzer
    mini_schnauzer Registered Posts: 347 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    every body make sure to fill in the feedback and bombard task 2.2 as the worst question . i read in aat magazine that before setting up the passing rate they do take a very deep look at feedback from the canditates

Task 2.2 I found unclear.
    2.2 A i) asked for Actual sales price per unit (therefore Actual sales = 23,000 as stated)
    2.2 A ii) asked for Material cost per unit but didnt say if for Actual or Budget, as they gave both Actual and Budget sales in units. So i took it as they wanted it for Actual sales - and indicated this on the answer page; as they asked for Budget figures earlier on in the paper and it would of been a repeat of the question.
  • umerali2003
    Options
    C2XVT wrote: »
    For section two ratio's, were they supposed to be done againt the Budgeted units, Actual units or both? :-/

i did the 1st one with actual because it said actual sales per unit that triggered the confusion in my mind not to use the rest of them with actual if they wanted the actual ones in the others one then they should have mentioned like actual material cost per unit etc etc why just for the 1st one only ????
  • C2XVT
    Options
    Yeah, see I thought along the same lines as the other person above, so based my calcs on the Actual figures presuming that they'd have know what they've budgeted for, that definately confused me
  • Mog17
    Options
    i did the 1st one with actual because it said actual sales per unit that triggered the confusion in my mind not to use the rest of them with actual if they wanted the actual ones in the others one then they should have mentioned like actual material cost per unit etc etc why just for the 1st one only ????

i'm having trouble remembering the layout of the info for 2.2 other than the fact it was on the left hand page!!! Was it something like Budgeted sales units ***** (don't remember the figure), then below it actual sales units, then just all the actual £ figures but no budget stuff.. I really can't recall anything on the budget except the top line.

Needless to say I did the whole thing on actuals without even thinking about it! Maybe I had selected blindness this close to the end???!!!
  • umerali2003
    Options
    Gross profit and net profit for task 2.2 any numbers ?
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    be interested in the assessors report for this as this was unclear
  • umerali2003
    Options
    i'm having trouble remembering the layout of the info for 2.2 other than the fact it was on the left hand page!!! Was it something like Budgeted sales units ***** (don't remember the figure), then below it actual sales units, then just all the actual £ figures but no budget stuff.. I really can't recall anything on the budget except the top line.

Needless to say I did the whole thing on actuals without even thinking about it! Maybe I had selected blindness this close to the end???!!!

i think both are right but it wasnt enough information given simple is that
  • Mog17
    Options

It was the first question which nearly had me in a total spin out! I did clock on with the 16 square metres squares thing before completely cocking the whole thing up but felt the complexity of it for a first question was way more than that in previous papers. Or maybe I just took half an hour to get my brain in year!!! Nearly got confused somewhere where it said there were 500 squares of opening stock and almost forgot it was squares not square metres. Then nearly forgot to calculate the total squares having done total square metres requirement. I really wasn't switched on at that point I don't think. But hopefully I saved myself!
  • clairet
    clairet Registered Posts: 5 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    question 2 was by far the worst question - 2.1 and 2.2 - yuk

I think it should have been simple but i crossed things out so many times, then ran out of time, then rushed the answer and now i'm not sure if any of its right!

Please let me pass :(
  • umerali2003
    Options
    It was the first question which nearly had me in a total spin out! I did clock on with the 16 square metres squares thing before completely cocking the whole thing up but felt the complexity of it for a first question was way more than that in previous papers. Or maybe I just took half an hour to get my brain in year!!! Nearly got confused somewhere where it said there were 500 squares of opening stock and almost forgot it was squares not square metres. Then nearly forgot to calculate the total squares having done total square metres requirement. I really wasn't switched on at that point I don't think. But hopefully I saved myself!

i think i roughly remember i took 16 and multiply by production budget to get the material required i ignored 12 sq m and i think my answer of part c were same numbers of part d production requirement which were given in the paper !!!!!!!!
  • embica
    embica Registered Posts: 19 New contributor 🐸
    Options

I'm worried that I have got this bit wrong now! :(
  • Mog17
    Options
    i think i roughly remember i took 16 and multiply by production budget to get the material required i ignored 12 sq m and i think my answer of part c were same numbers of part d production requirement which were given in the paper !!!!!!!!

Yes mine were too! That gave me hope I'd done it right!
  • Mog17
    Options
    embica wrote: »
    I'm worried that I have got this bit wrong now! :(

No don't be, I found it really confusing and probably made a bit of a hash of some of that!
  • clairet
    clairet Registered Posts: 5 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    I did different to everyone.
    They said it was 1 square per unit. I thought the 14 or 16sq metres was irrelevant.
    So the quantity of squares was the same as production units.
    Then i worked out opening and closing of material.
    Then multiplied the squares by £50 each.
    Fingers crossed - am i the only one that did that??
Privacy Policy