Management Accounting: Decision and Control (AQ2016) Exam

Options

Comments

• NatalieSarantos
    NatalieSarantos Registered Posts: 150
    Options
    @GeorgiaH oh no! That really sucks! I'm waiting for the financial statements result too, can't wait to be done with the AAT!
  • AbbyCarr
    AbbyCarr Registered Posts: 157
    Options
    I think there's going to be more errors in the synoptic exam. There has never been one to compare results with. But there's only 3 sittings in a year or something crazy!
  • Alicia84
    Alicia84 Registered Posts: 46
    Options
    @GeorgiaH don't worry, you and me both! I haven't actually got my result yet but KNOW that I screwed it up. I had a serious case of brain fog on question 1 trying to do a cash flow! Being that that's worth 40 marks I'd pretty much have to 100% across the rest! So no chance! How long did your result take to come in? Mines 5 weeks and 1 day today and its doing my head in waiting. I just want to book my resit and get on with it as I'm so close to finishing. I've heard AAT release results on a certain day only but not sure how true that is as I've had mine all sorts of days and at various times. That being said, it's been a year since my last exam so not sure if things have changed since then.
  • AbbyCarr
    Options
    My result has always come in on a Thursday, and I sit them on Tuesdays :) typically 5 weeks and 2 days! For the past 3 exams anyhow.
  • GeorgiaH
    GeorgiaH Registered Posts: 107
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @NatalieSarantos I know :( I sat my decision and control last week and it was awful too so probs failed that one as well! When do you get your results?

@AbbyCarr Please don't say that i have to sit my synoptic in 2 weeks. Has any one sat there's yet? any tips?

@Alicia84 Ah you might have passed hopefully. Is this your last exam to take? Mine took 5 weeks and 2 days i checked all on the day i expected but then checked at 4 pm and it was there! I didn't receive my email till the next day! useless...
  • NatalieSarantos
    Options
    @AbbyCarr I'm not looking forward to the synoptic! Just started it and it's not until 3rd July. When is yours?
    @Alicia84 don't worry, the first task is 33marks out of 150 so it's only worth 22% and you get marks just for entering the words properly, so you'll definitely get some! If youve
  • NatalieSarantos
    Options
    @GeorgiaH MDCL was the worst exam EVER. I was extremely lucky to get 67% and be passed with the 10% increase but it literally devastated my confidence! It's crazy though, I did the green light tests on all variances today, after 5 months of not even looking at them and got 100%! So I think it was just that exam!
    Hopefully they're not cruel with the synoptic! I know someone who's done it and they reckon it's a fair exam
  • AbbyCarr
    Options
    @GeorgiaH My apologies, there's a week of sittings in 2 weeks and then the week commencing 3rd July. But that seems to be it for the year as far as I can see on the timetable. But it is only up till August, but I should be complete in July so it would be frustrating to have to wait for new dates. I'm not sure why they're such limited dates! I'm so worried about it, I've just had my tonsils taken out and have missed a week of college, so next week is revision for the exam. By the looks of the sample assessment, the pass rate isn't going to be great.
  • AbbyCarr
    Options
    @NatalieSarantos 16th May! It's way too early. We've only been learning it for 5 weeks. I can't even understand if the material on AATs website is meant to be the real pre release information? No one seems to have come forward about sitting it.
  • NatalieSarantos
    Options
    @AbbyCarr I asked my tutor when we could expect to get the prerelease material and she didn't know. Everything is so disorganised with the change of syllabus!!
  • Alicia84
    Options
    @AbbyCarr Hopefully might still get it today then :-)

@GeorgiaH No I still have to do the project yet but wanted to transfer and do the synoptic exam instead once I've passed Financial Statements then I'm done. Just thought it sounds a better option then the project as once it's done it's done no dragging it out for 6 months. That being said, after reading all the comments on here about it I'm not so sure!

@NatalieSarantos Yes, but question 2 relies on you getting question 1 right and the two together are worth 40 marks. I think I would've got some maybe just not very many. Think I did well on the rest except one point I made on the written but overall the rest was fine, praying I got enough just to scrape through but not holding my breath!
  • AbbyCarr
    Options
    @NatalieSarantos If you look on the study support materials, there appears to be the pre release information on there. I didn't expect everyone to have the same information? It would allow people to discuss in great detail their exam questions and analysis of the case study, which would benefit students sitting it later on
  • NatalieSarantos
    Options
    @AbbyCarr I asked my tutor when we could expect to get the prerelease material and she didn't know. Everything is so disorganised with the change of syllabus!!
  • NatalieSarantos
    Options
    @Alicia84 ahh right, true! Hopefully you've done better than you think!
  • AbbyCarr
    Options
    @Alicia84 A lot of our class were annoyed we couldn't choose to sit AQ2013 standards. We were forced onto AQ2016. I think it would be a safer bet to do the project. It's tried and tested, and you have the opportunity to make it a pass if that makes sense. The synoptic is new, it's only been sat 2 times I believe, and there's not a lot of information surrounding it. I'm not saying that it's not passable or that there will be errors, but considering all the errors with AQ2016, they are quite likely. As well as the minimal chances to resit. I wish more people would come forward about it and their experience as so far no one has really
  • Evi
    Evi Registered Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi all,

I sat my synoptic exam in March and I have not posted on how to prepare for it because I have not received my results yet so I cannot tell you what works or does not.

The exam was different to the two sample assessments provided by AAT, in that most questions were split in a lot more sub-parts so you have to try and remember more things for the exam.

The pre-release on the AAT website is what we got in our exam in March. When I started my 2 days classes on the model, at the end of February, the pre-release was already available. I study with BPP and our tutor did not go through the pre-release material with the class. In my opinion you can answer most of the questions without relying to the pre-release.
  • AbbyCarr
    Options
    @Evi Thank you for the confirmation on the pre release material. Is there more content from previous exams than the samples? The samples seem to be bear of questions from the other exams, which I was expecting to need to know. Overall did you feel it went okay? It's the exam I'm most worried about.

I feel like those sitting it in the first sittings, we're at a disadvantage as they had no idea what to expect .
  • Evi
    Evi Registered Posts: 11
    Options
    @AbbyCarr It was just 5 people doing the exams in March at the BPP venue in London and all of us finished at the end of the third hour. I am really not sure how it went since it will depend on how exactly the exam is marked.

I think what surprise me that most on the exam was that many of the questions were on the Budgeting module and I was expecting to be more evenly split and ask questions from the other mandatory modules. It is been exactly 5 weeks since I sat the exam and there are still no results.
  • Alicia84
    Options
    Got my result just now and failed as I thought. At least I can get on with sorting out the resit now
  • nala
    nala Registered Posts: 10
    Options
    I have passed my MADC for 86% :O. I am shocked....
  • Yalda20
    Yalda20 Registered Posts: 77
    Options
    Evi- Re the synoptic assessment -Can I please ask if you recall that you had questions where you have to compare budgets etc? did you have to do calculations i.e. work out variances etc? I am planning to only just revise all the written parts from all the mandatory units only and just focus on a few calculations. Not really sure how to prepare to be honest. Thank you.
  • Alicia84
    Options
    I'm really in 2 minds whether to stick to the project or switch & do the synoptic. What do you do for the synoptic? Topics etc. I was told you got a case study in advance then analyse for the exam. Is that not the case?
  • AbbyCarr
    Options
    @Alicia84 You essentially learn a topic called Accounting Systems and Internal Controls. It makes up apparently 50% of the exam or around that mark. It's about the type of companies, different structures, systemic weaknesses, internal controls and making changes within a business. It's all written questions. I believe the exam is heavily written, around 60-70% but I can't confirm that. With the project you either do it on your own business situation, or a case study. That one is heavily detailed. On the AAT website you can see the pre release information for the current synoptic exam. It's 6 pages long, but 2 are statements and with the rest, there isn't much to analyse. Other people said they did not analyse it prior to the exam or go through it in much detail. It then includes elements of Financial Statements, Budgeting and Decision and Control. Again, mainly the written topics. There is a section on ratio analysis, or so it says, and likely some variance analysis or calculation; there's not much information on what will be included.
  • NatalieSarantos
    Options
    @Alicia84 so sorry to hear! Were you far off?
    As for sitting the synoptic or the project, you can't choose Im afraid. If you're on the 2016 syllabus you can only do synoptic and if you're on 2013 only project.
  • AbbyCarr
    Options
    @NatalieSarantos She's considering converting her passed exams on to the AQ2016 syllabus. Although I don't think they'd allow it if all exams were passed and just waiting on the project. I wish I was doing it!
  • NatalieSarantos
    Options
    Ohhh right, I see! I do too!!
  • Alicia84
    Options
    @NatalieSarantos not sure as I didn't get the results until 6pm so centre was already closed. I'll call in the morning and get a breakdown. Not sure I want to know lol. @AbbyCarr I spoke (well emailed kaplan) and checked. You have 2 options if you are on AQ2013. Either continue as normal and do the project BUT all AQ2013 must be completed by December 17 otherwise you will automatically be converted to AQ2016 and will have to sit any extra exams to make up the syllabus. Or you can convert to 2016 and do the synoptic but ideally you should do this once all other AQ2013 exams are completed otherwise again you'll have to potentially sit extra exams
  • sarah0202
    sarah0202 Registered Posts: 5
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I've just come out of college sitting a mock for the synoptic and I have to say it was pretty tough. I recommend that you go over the all the mandatory units thoroughly. I had to give advantages/disadvantages of different budgeting systems
  • AbbyCarr
    Options
    @sarah0202 By that do you mean, incremental, zero based, activity based and priority based?
  • sarah0202
    sarah0202 Registered Posts: 5
    Options
    Yes all of the above and then recommend the best one for the company.

There wasn't much on fraud and ethics. Mainly budgeting and financial statements. Also non financial indicators.
Privacy Policy