Management Accounting: Decision and Control (AQ2016) Exam

Options

Comments

• AbbyCarr
    AbbyCarr Registered Posts: 157
    Options
    Sounds like I have a lot of revising to do. When you read the assessment criteria, a lot of that isn't included! It's very misleading.
  • Yalda20
    Yalda20 Registered Posts: 77
    Options
    Sarah0202- What kind of questions did you get for financial statements? I am not too sure what else apart from the rations I need revise from this unit. What about variances etc do you have to revise those as well? any tips? thank you.
  • lannieloo
    lannieloo Registered Posts: 95
    Options
    I sat the synoptic in march and I won't lie I thought it was awful!
    I only looked at the pre released once but the rest of my class never used it. And my poor little calculator was only needed for a few minutes!
    I felt about this one the way I felt about decision and control so dreading my results next Friday :-(
  • Evi
    Evi Registered Posts: 11
    Options
    @Yalda20 There was no calculations of variance, the only calculations were on ratios but you had to read carefully what you are comparing your results to. After I have done the synoptic I think it will be good to revise/read everything and focus on practicing the areas I am not strong in.
  • Irrorate
    Irrorate Registered Posts: 139
    Options
    I sat my MDCL on Wednesday and have to say it felt very similar to Sample Assessment 1. Questions on activity-based costing, some backward ratios (mine gave me inventory holding days & cost of sales & had to rearrange the formulae). Also some linear regression (y = a + bx) in there so do revise up on that. Report 1 was on gross profit, net profit & return on net assets (you calculated them in part (a) and reported on them in (b). Report 2 gave me the variances for fixed overheads (expenditure, volume, efficiency, capacity) and I had to state whether adverse or favourable and report on reasons why. Also contribution questions with scarce resource.

Didn't feel I did too bad... let me know if I can offer some help.
  • marialucas
    marialucas Registered Posts: 49
    Options
    Did anyone have the batches in the first question ??
    Had it in my first exam and also in my resit, I can't work it out :(

Thanks
  • Yalda20
    Yalda20 Registered Posts: 77
    Options
    Thanks so much Evi.
  • nala
    nala Registered Posts: 10
    Options
    > @marialucas said:
    > Did anyone have the batches in the first question ??
    > Had it in my first exam and also in my resit, I can't work it out :(
    >
    > Thanks

If you remaind me the guestion I will try to help you.
  • Cheesypeesy
    Cheesypeesy Registered Posts: 101
    Options
    Just had my exam, was way harder than practice assessments. Almost every question felt like an advanced version. When you have the same amount of time to do it in it's no wonder I ran out of time.

Resit for sure, though can't help but feel slightly cheated.
    Matthew Dearlove MAAT
    Currently on CIMA Management Level. Passed P2, F2 and E2. Preparing for November 19 MCS.
  • Irrorate
    Options
    It's interesting you feel that way - what types of questions did you have? Can you remember?
  • NatalieSarantos
    NatalieSarantos Registered Posts: 150
    Options
    @Cheesypeesy most of us felt that way! It's a horrid exam and is much harder than last year's exam. That's a fact they've actually admitted and given everyone an extra 10% to compensate. I was lucky enough to pass with that extra 10% but if you don't, my advise is to wait until they rewrite the exam to resit!
  • Cheesypeesy
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Irrorate said:

It's interesting you feel that way - what types of questions did you have? Can you remember?

Well in Task 1 you typically select what cost type something is then do some high-low method. But it had a strange question where you had to take averages from hours and fixed costs as well as the high-low method. It was a concept that I'm sure was never covered in the books.

Task 2 also had a more advanced version of calculating variances, where you're given far less information to work them out. Usually these first two questions are easy marks but they really weren't, least for me!

Surprisingly it was the written tasks that were most straightforward, felt in line with practice assessments. I just feel they've made the other tasks way too complex and take too much time.

most of us felt that way! It's a horrid exam and is much harder than last year's exam. That's a fact they've actually admitted and given everyone an extra 10% to compensate. I was lucky enough to pass with that extra 10% but if you don't, my advise is to wait until they rewrite the exam to resit!

I know right, I thought maybe it was exaggerated but I'm a believer now! Would be nice to get that 10% but I don't know if it would help :# I could do but I don't really wanna put off passing level 4! Least I'm not alone in this :P
    Matthew Dearlove MAAT
    Currently on CIMA Management Level. Passed P2, F2 and E2. Preparing for November 19 MCS.
  • GeorgiaH
    GeorgiaH Registered Posts: 107
    Options
    I sat my MDCL on 27th April and it was horrid :( do you think I will get the 10% increase when i recieve my results @NatalieSarantos or was the increase only for the people who sat it earlier?

I had a question relating to linear regression but when I typed it in google after the exam it was actually from an ACCA past paper!
  • Cheesypeesy
    Options
    @GeorgiaH that's strange, couldn't they think of one themselves? :sweat_smile: the statistical techniques (task 5) seemed pretty easy for me so must not have got unlucky in that department. Task 9 (limiting factors for me) was also not bad. Guess we just have to wait and see :anguished:
    Matthew Dearlove MAAT
  • GeorgiaH
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Yes i know @Cheesypeesy :astonished: I think i actually done better on my writing questions rather than the ones i really studied for! Got to hope for the best haha. But would like to know if the 10% increase applies to all or was it just for the people who sat it earlier in the year
  • Irrorate
    Options
    As far as I'm aware the increases apply to everyone until they announce that the exam has been modified.
  • GeorgiaH
    Options
    Ah ok thank you @Irrorate Not that i think the increase will help me but just wanted to know haha :)
  • summerbelle86
    summerbelle86 Registered Posts: 11
    Options
    > @GeorgiaH said:
    > Yes i know @Cheesypeesy :astonished: I think i actually done better on my writing questions rather than the ones i really studied for! Got to hope for the best haha. But would like to know if the 10% increase applies to all or was it just for the people who sat it earlier in the year

@GeorgiaH I'm pretty sure you will receive the 10% increase. I sat my exam on the 27th March, had my results last week. Competent with 79%, therefore I would have failed by 1% without the 10% increase. Had feedback today from my training provider and it stated 'not yet competent' but I was told to ignore that and go with the adjusted grade showing on MyAAT. I didn't find the content too difficult, yet ran out of time. Good luck with your results!
    PS- the majority of our class passed, with one person getting 100%
  • NatalieSarantos
    edited May 2017
    Options
    10% increase applies to everyone who sits the exam. I'm noticing a lot more people are passing it with the 10% increase so that's something at least. At the beginning of this thread only 2 people had passed out of 5 classes! With or without the 10% this exam was still not fair and that is the truth. It was without a doubt ACCA level. I got met and exceeded for all tasks except 1, 2, 4 and 5 which were the tasks I was doing best at in the practice assessments! The essays, I agree, were extremely fair. Overall, the worst exam ever! The content, wording, presentation was just so much harder! I was getting in the 90% range with BPP and Osborne samples so my worst case scenario was an 80 something and I actually remember discussing it with my family saying, "stop being so ambitious!" So, to get that exam and actually get 67%.... I wrote to the AAT that same day and luckily enough people have complained for them to review and "correct." BUT if I'm absolutely honest with myself, I still feel cheated, even if it then became a pass. This exam demoralised me so much that I didn't try half as much as I would have for budgeting (still passed) or financial statements. Anyways, 3 out of 6 exams done and I cannot wait to be finished with the AAT and move on to ACCA!
  • NatalieSarantos
    Options
    Have you guys actually gone back and read this whole thread? It was a thing of nightmares! Honestly!
  • summerbelle86
    Options
    > @NatalieSarantos said:
    > Have you guys actually gone back and read this whole thread? It was a thing of nightmares! Honestly!

Yes, I've been following the thread the whole time. Our exam was due to be sat in January, when they first investigated the module. Luckily, being aware of the failure rate and having an extra 8 weeks of study for the exam (meaning that other modules suffered drastically) our tutor had us going through all ACCA F2 papers and ICAEW exemption equivalents! Despite all the hard work and similarly to you, getting in the 90s on other practices, I still would have failed by 1% without the increase. Still demoralising even with the uplift!
  • NatalieSarantos
    Options
    @summerbelle86 wow! That is a good tutor!! Shocking that it still wasn't enough though. It just goes to show how hard the exam was! I don't know what they were thinking!!
  • GeorgiaH
    Options
    @summerbelle86 Wow great well done on your pass! I feel a little bit more hopeful if i do get the 10% increase but not sure if it will make a difference as i found the exam really hard. I especially never had no hope of passing when I come home and one of my questions where actually from an ACCA past paper :open_mouth: I just wonder how many other questions where from a higher level of learning.

Have you guys actually gone back and read this whole thread? It was a thing of nightmares! Honestly!

Yes from the beginning as we were supposed to sit our exam and the week before our college had to cancel and reschedule! This has now had a knock on effect on my other exams as we have had to push all them back! Supposed to finish in June, but will now have to go back and sit one of our optionals in September.

I seem to see more people passing too, the level of the test was really high and a few of the questions seemed as if they were trying to trick you, asking one thing but wanting the answer for another.

• ted_holmes
    ted_holmes Registered Posts: 14
    Options

> @NatalieSarantos said:

> Have you guys actually gone back and read this whole thread? It was a thing of nightmares! Honestly!

Yes, I've been following the thread the whole time. Our exam was due to be sat in January, when they first investigated the module. Luckily, being aware of the failure rate and having an extra 8 weeks of study for the exam (meaning that other modules suffered drastically) our tutor had us going through all ACCA F2 papers and ICAEW exemption equivalents! Despite all the hard work and similarly to you, getting in the 90s on other practices, I still would have failed by 1% without the increase. Still demoralising even with the uplift!

Is F2 ACCA of a similar nature to what we're being asked to sit for this exam?
    I've got my resit in 2 weeks, and any extra material to revise with would be very useful.
  • marialucas
    marialucas Registered Posts: 49
    Options
    Ted_holmes , Costing book from Level 3 is very helpful.

• summerbelle86
    Options
    GeorgiaH said:

@summerbelle86 Wow great well done on your pass! I feel a little bit more hopeful if i do get the 10% increase but not sure if it will make a difference as i found the exam really hard. I especially never had no hope of passing when I come home and one of my questions where actually from an ACCA past paper :open_mouth: I just wonder how many other questions where from a higher level of learning.

Yes from the beginning as we were supposed to sit our exam and the week before our college had to cancel and reschedule! This has now had a knock on effect on my other exams as we have had to push all them back! Supposed to finish in June, but will now have to go back and sit one of our optionals in September.

I seem to see more people passing too, the level of the test was really high and a few of the questions seemed as if they were trying to trick you, asking one thing but wanting the answer for another.

@GeorgiaH Thank you very much! At first I was gutted that I didn't physically get enough marks to pass, despite the effort put in and really enjoying the module! But after sleeping on it, I realised that I didn't have to resit and I could just forget about the whole module (until the synoptic obviously). Our class has fallen behind with the two current modules also, because of the fiasco!

@ted_holmes yes ACCA F2 is the Management Accounting module that we get exemptions from after completing Level 4. The material is definitely more reflective of the content of the exam than any of the textbooks! Good luck with your revision. Hopefully you can find the F2 past papers. If not, I will try and post a link to them if this is allowed?
  • GeorgiaH
    Options
    @summerbelle86 As long as you passed that's great. At least now you can concentrate on your other modules rather than having to re-sit MDCL :blush: How many do you have left? my synoptic is on the 18th May i am dreading it :dissapointed:
  • AbbyCarr
    Options
    @GeorgiaH Mine is on Tuesday! I'm absolutely terrified and the sample assessments haven't given me an ounce of confidence. I've had to ask my teacher to make a complaint as one answer includes throughput! This isn't covered by the syllabus and although only maybe 2 marks lost is a disgrace!
  • GeorgiaH
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @AbbyCarr Oh my god really! what sample was that on? I am dreading it, I have been practicing all i can with BPP, AAT but all questions are different there is no similar ones.

Some people who have already sat the synoptic are saying it was very similar to the AAT practice assessments but then others are saying it was awful an nothing like it :open_mouth:
  • AbbyCarr
    Options
    It was on CBT 2 task 1.4. Its part of their suggested answer, so without it, you'd lose marks. It shouldn't be there. Task 1 and 5 seem the easiest to me, the others will be different I think. I think the questions are quite ambiguous as to what they're asking for. Will just have to try our best with this one I think. As someone who rarely struggles, I'm panicking.
Privacy Policy