Phew! ECR done

Options

Comments

• Andypandy
    Andypandy Registered Posts: 526 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Funny how we all seem to remember so much detail when we're in a stressful situation isn't it?
  • mrspnut
    mrspnut Registered Posts: 70 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Emma.B10 wrote: »
    that will come in handy!!! do you know if its available for everyone or is it just talk at the mo??

They seem to think that they will rush it through for this year for everyone - judging by today's paper I can see why.
  • sparkspc
    sparkspc Registered Posts: 6 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    OK - just registered...the abnormal loss I also made the assumption that it was valued at £20 per tonne, everything seems to balance nicely then.

The npv question - do you think this was a trick question, as the payback period would be 3 years (not 2 years anything...) as the sale of the fixed asset for £50,000 wouldn't be until the very end of the year - hence it would be negative npv until 3 years and the project was finished... :-)
  • goodyuk
    goodyuk Registered Posts: 50 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    mrspnut wrote: »
    There was an input of 400 tonnes, a normal loss of 12 tonnes and an output of 360 tonnes leaving 28 tonnes as an abnormal loss.

yes, I agree with that, although I buggered up the input unit cost by not duducting the normal loss value I have been told
  • Emma.B10
    Emma.B10 Registered Posts: 27 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Andypandy wrote: »
    Funny how we all seem to remember so much detail when we're in a stressful situation isn't it?
    yes...we all remember very wel what we have written.....but nothing to get us the correct answers.....or is that just me!! lol.
  • Andypandy
    Options
    I worked it out first without the realisable value, & didn't get a neg NPV.
  • *Jo
    *Jo Registered Posts: 509 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    sparkspc wrote: »
    OK - just registered...the abnormal loss I also made the assumption that it was valued at £20 per tonne, everything seems to balance nicely then.

The npv question - do you think this was a trick question, as the payback period would be 3 years (not 2 years anything...) as the sale of the fixed asset for £50,000 wouldn't be until the very end of the year - hence it would be negative npv until 3 years and the project was finished... :-)

ok now im off to cry and cry and cry, i was feeling quite confident.
  • smriti
    smriti Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Sould be available for everyone!
  • Pinkjo
    Pinkjo Registered Posts: 88 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Yes, you're right! Normal loss was 12, abnormal was 28 (so total losses were 40 x £20 = £800)
  • Mog17
    Mog17 Registered Posts: 91 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options

i don't think so. I did calculate the present value of the disposal just in case it made a difference and there'd still be a positive NPV of 5K ish. I had payback at 2.1 years so the £50K disposal wouldn't have been necessary....
  • mrspnut
    Options
    Pinkjo wrote: »
    Yes, you're right! Normal loss was 12, abnormal was 28 (so total losses were 40 x £20 = £800)

No - total losses were 12 x £20 + 28 x £190 = £5,560
  • sparkspc
    Options
    Hmm. I got around 39K as NPV (including the £50000 asset sale). Therefore without it it would be negative NPV right up until end 3rd year. Ah well. Will have to wait and see.
  • rachy1975
    rachy1975 Registered Posts: 366 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    im doubting my normal loss thing now too...i did the total less the scrap value divided into the 388.....?? had £190 i think for each tonne...:confused1:
  • Pinkjo
    Options
    mrspnut wrote: »
    No - total losses were 12 x £20 + 28 x £190 = £5,560

I thought it said all losses were valued at £20 :001_unsure:
  • *Jo
    Options
    Mog17 wrote: »
    i don't think so. I did calculate the present value of the disposal just in case it made a difference and there'd still be a positive NPV of 5K ish. I had payback at 2.1 years so the £50K disposal wouldn't have been necessary....

I hope your right. If not thank you for making me feel better anyway :D
  • sparkspc
    Options
    I thought it said all losses were sold for pet food at £20 per tonne, not a loss of £190...
  • Pinkjo
    Options
    I thought it said all losses were sold for pet food at £20 per tonne, not a loss of £190...

That's what I read too....
  • Mog17
    Options

It doesn't matter for the process account. Only normal loss is accounted for in the process account at their scrap value. Abnormal loss is charged at the output cost rate in the process account then it's all reconciled in the normal loss scrap and abnormal loss accounts to find the end loss to P&L account (difference between the output rate loss charge to the money recouped from scrap sales).
  • sparkspc
    Options
    ...also the contribution for the soup was 50p (?) therefore to reach a target profit of £20000 it would be 20000/0.50 = 400000 added to my 625000 BEP was 1025000 cans?
  • mrspnut
    Options
    Abnormal loss is still valued at the same amount as output, not the normal loss level so even if it was sold as petfood it still needs valuing at £190 a tonne
  • *Jo
    Options
    ...also the contribution for the soup was 50p (?) therefore to reach a target profit of £20000 it would be 20000/0.50 = 400000 added to my 625000 BEP was 1025000 cans?

Sounds familar but didnt you then have to times the cans by sales price of £0.80 to get the figure in sales revenue.
  • Mog17
    Options

The question was for the BEP etc in sales revenue rather than unit volume which might be why you have different figures....?
  • rachy1975
    rachy1975 Registered Posts: 366 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options

thts what i got too
  • Vidya_r
    Vidya_r Registered, Tutor Posts: 21 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Of wht I remember:
    FIFO as it increases stock valuation in times of rising costs...

Break even I calculated by using the PV ratio(5/8 = 0.625)...
    so break even sales revenue= 312500/.625= £500,000

Margin of safety in terms of sales revenue= 875,000-500,000 = £375,000

Margin of safety as %= (375,000/875,000) x 100 = 42.86%

Graph 1 : semi variable cost

Graph 2: Stepped fixed cost

Normal loss = 12 tonne abnormal loss= 28tonne

expected output = 388 tonnes

Cost of unit output : (73960-240) / 388 = £ 190

In the process account Dr side = 73960

Cr Side
    Normal loss = 240
    Abnormal loss 28 x 190 = 5320
    Finished output 360 x 190 = 68400
    Total =73960

Pay back period: 2.125 yr ~2yrs 2 months

NPV IN £000 = 39.72
  • Mog17
    Options
    *Jo wrote: »
    I hope your right. If not thank you for making me feel better anyway :D

I'm going to be cocky and say I'm right (that's the wine talking!). No, seriously - I did check and it really didn't make any difference. Project was acceptable disposal proceeds or not.:thumbup1:
  • Andypandy
    Options
    Same answers as me Vidya.
  • *Jo
    Options
    Mog17 wrote: »
    I'm going to be cocky and say I'm right (that's the wine talking!). No, seriously - I did check and it really didn't make any difference. Project was acceptable disposal proceeds or not.:thumbup1:

Wine or not (not in my case, but could murder a glass or bottle or two), i think your right, and thats what im sticking too (seeing how we've agreed on a few questions).
  • goodyuk
    goodyuk Registered Posts: 50 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Vidya_r wrote: »
    Of wht I remember:
    FIFO as it increases stock valuation in times of rising costs...

Break even I calculated by using the PV ratio(5/8 = 0.625)...
    so break even sales revenue= 312500/.625= £500,000

Margin of safety in terms of sales revenue= 875,000-500,000 = £375,000

Margin of safety as %= (375,000/875,000) x 100 = 42.86%

Graph 1 : semi variable cost

Graph 2: Stepped fixed cost

Normal loss = 12 tonne abnormal loss= 28tonne

expected output = 388 tonnes

Cost of unit output : (73960-240) / 388 = £ 190

In the process account Dr side = 73960

Cr Side
    Normal loss = 240
    Abnormal loss 28 x 190 = 5320
    Finished output 360 x 190 = 68400
    Total =73960

Pay back period: 2.125 yr ~2yrs 2 months

NPV IN £000 = 39.72

that all sounds spot on to me, even though I cocked a couple of em up I now agree with what you say! Ur brainy!:thumbup1:
  • sparkspc
    Options
    Yeah I think I see my error in the abnormal loss question now - hey ho.
  • Mog17
    Options
    *Jo wrote: »
    Wine or not (not in my case, but could murder a glass or bottle or two), i think your right, and thats what im sticking too (seeing how we've agreed on a few questions).

We good!!!! Must say if you did the same as me taking the variable bit of semi-variable out before calculating absorption rates that was wrong. I checked and same came up last june - not meant to take it out. Poo. But hey, only 2 questions wrong there and will still get marks for principle on calculations even if the rates were wrong. Wine is good but really gone to my head!!!!!
Privacy Policy