Management Accounting: Decision and Control (AQ2016) Exam

Options

Comments

• lannieloo
    lannieloo Registered Posts: 95
    Options
    I absolutely agree! I went right through the question bank in the work book which is like a full recap then come to the practise assessments and I didn't need 90% of it!
    The main test is 'can you work out what the question is asking?'
    I'm so cross this is taking my mind away from business tax which I'm currently studying!
    Do they realise the consequences of their guinea pig papers??
  • Anisa97
    Anisa97 Registered Posts: 42 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I've done FSLC, MABU, MDCL and BSTX now and one common thing I found with all the exams is that the wording of the questions is very vague!
    As someone who is self-studying it's even more stressful hearing this bad news about the synoptic assessment..
  • scamp83
    scamp83 Registered Posts: 86
    Options
    Let alone the exam itself, does anyone know what the reason is for the synoptic 'window'? I have my exam on Thursday 18th May; now I will have to wait six weeks for my result, which means I could be receiving my result (probably a fail if it's looking like the same MDCL fiasco!) on the 29th June. Now if I do fail, the next 'window' is the 3rd to the 9th July.....is it fair to give people one week to revise for a resit? Bear in mind I will also be studying another module also with my exam set for that week. Also, should I decide to give myself suitable study time and wait until the next available date, that would be after August as the AAT calendar doesn't go any further than that.....so assume September with a six week wait for results again....has anyone setting this new syllabus and layout thought this through?????
  • Anisa97
    Anisa97 Registered Posts: 42 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    @scamp83 Check here https://www.aat.org.uk/aat-qualifications-and-courses/aat-qualifications/qualification-information/how-you-will-be-assessed
    Seems like after 3-9Jul the next sitting will be 25Sept-1Oct! They will probably add more dates
  • scamp83
    scamp83 Registered Posts: 86
    Options
    @Anisa97 Thanks for that. It's crazy to have so few dates, especially with the long wait for results added to the mix.....the pre-release material seems to be the same for all exams so I'm not sure why you can't just book the exam at a time to suit. Grr, rant over! :#
  • SueFW
    SueFW Registered Posts: 84
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Is anyone considering complaining to AAT? I'm contemplating sending a complaint does anyone have an email address or do I just use the customer services one?
  • AbbyCarr
    AbbyCarr Registered Posts: 157
    Options
    I've not sat the exam and I would already complain based on the sample ones given! I'm not sure who you'd complain to, customer services may be the best place to start! But it will take 4 days before anyone even gets back to you.
  • lannieloo
    Options
    I'm going down the appeal route, but more appealing the questions, the timing of exams and results and resits and how the marks were allocated to questions... the more of us that express our concerns the more weight it will carry!
    Send a blank email to appeals@aat.org.uk it costs £30 mind.
  • SueFW
    Options
    That's bad and then there's no guarantee they'll investigate! Not sure what to do whether to appeal, complain or just reluctantly get on with the resit :'(
  • lannieloo
    Options
    We only have 10 days to do it too!
  • SueFW
    Options
    Yes are you going to do anything @lannieloo as you only narrowly missed a pass too x
  • AbbyCarr
    Options
    With the sample assessments, there were 1 mark written questions but the answer required a lot more than what you'd expect for 1 mark! Appeal your result but I'd also complain, I'm sure I'll be putting one in on Tuesday after my sitting. Is there any tips you can give?
  • SueFW
    Options
    Yes I've done that but haven't filled in the form yet. Can we still do the resit if there's an appeal in?
  • lannieloo
    Options
    I agree the marks are really badly allocated!
    My other issue is if I don't pass it in July I will have to put my acca back a full year as I need to have passed by September! It's ridiculous!! The two that passed in my class only got 72%! I don't understand the unit/year any less than them yet I might have to delay my acca a year!!
  • Yalda20
    Yalda20 Registered Posts: 77
    Options
    Hi guys,
    When I complained about my MADC exam I sent out an email to customersupport@aat.org.uk and they replied to me from this email. I also think that we all need to complain about the synoptic exam as well so that they can review this unit. Thank you
  • SueFW
    Options
    Yes I am going to put in a complaint but I'm also considering an appeal but I'm unsure what happens if you want to resit when you've appealed can you still resit or do you have to wait for the outcome of the appeal?
  • lannieloo
    Options
    I agree yalada20! Sooner rather than later!
    I'm sure you can still resit :-) you just shouldn't have to!
  • SueFW
    Options
    Thanks @lannieloo I know I shouldn't have to resit but if my appeal is unsuccessful I don't want to wait till July all for 1 blinkin mark!!!
  • SueFW
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Someone has just posted on a Facebook AAT Independent Students page that they failed but have been told that the exam is being reviewed has anyone else heard that?
  • AbbyCarr
    Options
    Could anyone confirm that Task 5 is a ratio question, and Task 6 is generally weaknesses/SWOT/PEST? Task 1 samples have also been multiple choice. I'm trying to cram so much knowledge in, but I bet it won't even come up
  • Ree91
    Ree91 Registered Posts: 11
    Options
    @AbbyCarr yup mine was that! I found the exam really difficult, convinced i had failed but I surprisingly passed with 84% somehow?! Good luck!
  • AbbyCarr
    Options
    @Ree91 That's great! Thanks for the confirmation, it's just the other 3 tasks which I think have caught people out. Congratulations on passing! I really would like 80%, as I'm hoping for a merit and the Synoptic has the greatest weighting of them all if I remember correctly! Any tips?
  • Ree91
    Options
    @AbbyCarr it came as a big shock to me! I had quite a fair amount of Budgeting style questions, definitely revise that, and the decision question threw me but no surprise there given the fiasco with the decision exam itself! When are you due to sit it?
  • AbbyCarr
    Options
    @Ree91 My sitting is next Tuesday. I've revised variances and the ratios. Then I revised the budget processes, and assumptions; as well as the different costing methods. I just don't feel it's going to be enough in the end. It's way more written than any other exam, it's not a fair reflection of the previous exams; and with the highest weighting, even the brainiest will now struggle for distinctions.
  • Ree91
    Options
    @AbbyCarr you're absolutely right, I struggled with trying to find the fine line between giving enough points to get the marks and waffling too much! I'm sure you will be okay! What have you passed up to now?
  • AbbyCarr
    Options
    @Ree91 It seems like they ask a lot for the number of marks. In the sample one question was for 1 mark but the answer is a paragraph! I've passed Budgeting, Decision & Control and Financial Statements. Can only wait and see, I just hope the realise it isn't an ideal way of testing people's knowledge of the subject
  • Ree91
    Options
    @AbbyCarr I couldn't agree more, I'd rather do the project! Good luck for it!!
  • Yalda20
    Options
    Hi @Ree91 -
    Do you remember what kind of budgeting style questions you had? What about the question (s) you had from Decision and Control exam?

@AbbyCarr - I have prepared or still preparing the same way as you. I really don't have much time to remember how to work variances backward or prepare FS etc but I hope we don't get questions on these. Can you please let me know the type of questions you get for your Synoptic exam on Tuesday I am doing the exam next week Saturday.Many thanks both
  • AbbyCarr
    Options
    @Yalda20 Of course! I doubt they'll ask us to prepare any financial statements, although in my opinion this is what the synoptic should have been! It should be the key skills from the exams, like preparing statements, variances, flexed budgets etc! This is, awful haha! It's just hard to decide what to revise in the time scale.
  • Yalda20
    Options
    Hi all,

Is anyone studying Osborne Synoptic workbook? I am struggling with Synoptic assessment 4, task 4 part 2.

I am not sure how to work out the followings:

1- contribution from Order (£s)-

2- Contribution per hour (£s)-

3- hours allocated to job

Many thanks in advance
Privacy Policy