Management Accounting: Decision and Control (AQ2016) Exam

Options

Comments

• AbbyCarr
    AbbyCarr Registered Posts: 157
    Options
    I'd definitely agree. There's a huge lack of material aimed at the synoptic from the AAT, making it hard for tutors to deliver the exam!.
  • JWSM
    JWSM Registered Posts: 5
    Options
    I have lost a lot of faith in AAT this year too. Studying level 2 and level 3 with them was faultless but this year I have to agree it seems they have tried to change too much without actually giving much consideration to other changes that are necessary to maintain pass rates and their reputation.
    I have passed budgeting, financial statements and the synoptic and found them to follow the same format as the practice exams available on the AAT website. However I do feel that the dissertation that students were able to complete in previous years rather than the synoptic gave them more of an advantage as they had unlimited time and access to all resources during the time they had to complete it. Rather than seemingly trying to test us on memory.
    I have failed my Decision & Control exam and I should find out this week the results of my re-sit. I'm still not feeling confident as I found the exam just as hard as my first attempt despite having experience of the exam, our tutor holding extra revision sessions, purchasing extra revision material from first intuition and booking the week off work to solidly revise. I find it hard to understand how they can uplift percentages by different amounts for different people with no explanation to us on how they have worked this out.
    Sadly one bad year from AAT can have a negative impact on the 2 good years that I did have.
  • scamp83
    scamp83 Registered Posts: 86
    Options
    @JWSM I'm totally agree, levels two and three were great but this year on AQ2016 has ruined the whole experience for me. Such a shame, I was so pleased I finally got around to studying for the qualification but with the last year I'm kind of regretting it.
  • Hil63
    Hil63 Registered Posts: 10
    Options
    I totally agree with the comment by @JWSM above. I failed by MDCL exam with 61% and have re-taken it with the results due next week. My problem with the AAT is the lack of transparency with regards to the uplift percentages given to us. Why can't we see what our 'true' result was & then the result obtained with the uplift. People seem to have differing percentages and for this to be fair and proper surely the AAT should tell us what the uplift percentage is?
    I found the exam the second time around just as difficult as the first time and do not hold out much hope of getting a pass.
  • Nicola22
    Nicola22 Registered Posts: 7
    Options
    Does anybody who resat have any tips? due to resit in two weeks and feeling a bit unprepared as I'm unsure on what more I can revise than the first time I sat it!

I struggled last time on the how the fixed overheads interrelate, does anybody have any examples?
  • GemGem17
    GemGem17 Registered Posts: 30
    Options
    I took my MDCL exam 5 weeks ago today and was wondering how long it took for results to come out. I was expecting them today but they've not been posted yet?? Any help would be appreciated.
  • Hil63
    Hil63 Registered Posts: 10
    Options
    I think they usually take six weeks and we always seem to get them on a Friday if that helps!
  • GemGem17
    GemGem17 Registered Posts: 30
    Options
    Thanks Hil63 :)

Ours are normally out on Thursday's and every 5 weeks but with this exam being the hardest one I didn't know whether results were taking longer to be released.
  • kerrydenman
    kerrydenman Registered Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi, I sat this exam yesterday and was so unprepared for how awful it is. I was also completely unaware that there were any recent issues with the exam either. I felt that for the majority of the questions, I had no idea what they were asking me. I think it's the first time in any AAT exam I have actually left questions unanswered. So I'm not feeling very good about it today. What's bothering me more is that I really don't know how to change my revision to help me pass it second time round when I inevitably fail it the first time. The only other exam I've taken is FSLC - which I passed with 80% and has obviously given me a false sense of security! Any other people recently taken the exam? Do we expect the exam to be changed at some point to better reflect the material?

I think I am going to put this aside for now and move onto budgeting. The thought of revisiting this exam fills me with dread!
  • Irrorate
    Irrorate Registered Posts: 139
    Options
    Don't worry yourself yet Kerry - MDCL still does have the uplift applied to it (up to 10%).
  • AlisonSwanson
    AlisonSwanson Registered, Tutor Posts: 209
    Options
    I'm afraid it doesn't - uplift ended at the end of May!
  • Irrorate
    Options
    I thought they were maintaining the uplift for the whole year?
  • Sealions
    Sealions Registered Posts: 4
    Options
    I also thought they were continuing with the extra 10% for the year. I passed on the second attempt and felt exactly the same as I did my first attempt when I failed. The second time around I decided to trust my first instinct when answering the paper and did not constantly change answers as I did the first time around. I did not get a great mark, but passed and that is fine. I used BPP the first time around and Kaplan the second (and looked at Open Tution lectures for ACCA).
  • mergen
    mergen Registered Posts: 112 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Failed MDCL got 68%, appealed and got the same result, was given a breakdown of each task. Now why can they not do that in the first place, instead we have to pay £30? Feels like a money making scheme.
  • Irrorate
    Options
    What was your breakdown for each task? Was it just a sheet of paper with each question then exceeded/met/below/etc? Or was it more detailed with what you did wrong?

If it was the former you can get that free from the centre you sit the exam at.
  • mergen
    Options
    @Irrorate it was later. Got an email back with an explanation on why 68% will stand. Then brief explanation on each task.
  • NatalieSarantos
    NatalieSarantos Registered Posts: 150
    Options
    I can't believe this is still happening!! I was one of the first people to take this nightmare exam back in December 2016 and it boils my blood to see that they haven't changed it!! I was "lucky" enough that the 10% got me to a pass but it's messed up my overall grade and so many people have failed since. What is going on?!
  • NatalieSarantos
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Btw, my classmates (after failing for a second time) called the AAT and were told that the 10% uplift is no longer being included in the result. When asked why they said they could not provide any further information.
  • steady88
    steady88 Registered Posts: 25
    Options

Btw, my classmates (after failing for a second time) called the AAT and were told that the 10% uplift is no longer being included in the result. When asked why they said they could not provide any further information.

They cannot provide any further information to paying students?

• JWSM
    JWSM Registered Posts: 5
    Options
    I have just phoned them as my 3rd attempt results are back for MDCL tomorrow and they confirmed the uplift still applies.
  • Irrorate
    Options
    JWSM said:

I have just phoned them as my 3rd attempt results are back for MDCL tomorrow and they confirmed the uplift still applies.

@AlisonSwanson can you weigh in here? You were of the belief it ended in May?
  • AlisonSwanson
    AlisonSwanson Registered, Tutor Posts: 209
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Yes Irrorate I did read the uplift was ending in May, however I have just had an email from the AAT this morning saying that they are now continuing with the uplift.

Quote ' the uplift will remain in place until we are satisfied that the pass rate for MDCL is more in keeping with our expectations.'

I am guessing there has been a change of mind due to pass rates still being so low.
  • Irrorate
    Options
    Appreciate the clarification!
  • NatalieSarantos
    Options
    My friend just called and apparently the uplift is given to some and not to others - depending on the exam you get. This is bonkers!!!
  • mergen
    Options
    @NatalieSarantos WTF. There needs to be some sort of external investigation launched. They are playing with our futures here and wasting our times.
    Any way to start a petition?
  • steady88
    steady88 Registered Posts: 25
    Options
    mergen said:

@NatalieSarantos WTF. There needs to be some sort of external investigation launched. They are playing with our futures here and wasting our times.
    Any way to start a petition?

Has anyone thought about trying to get a report on the bbc news? A 5 minute report in the middle of the main news show

• SueFW
    SueFW Registered Posts: 84
    Options
    I'm not sure but you could complain to Ofqual as they regulate AAT, this is then an external organisation who would investigate all these issues?
  • mergen
    Options
    @steady88 no never thought of that and have no idea how to. Anyone wants to show or direct me, I am more than willing to do it.
  • mergen
    Options
    @SueFW thanks for that. Ive got an exam coming up next week on Wednesday. I will start a new topic after in here and take it from there. Thanks
  • SueFW
    SueFW Registered Posts: 84
    Options
    @mergen let me know how you get on if you do contact Ofqual. Good luck with the exam on Wednesday!
Privacy Policy