Management Accounting: Decision and Control (AQ2016) Exam

Options

Comments

• Yalda20
    Yalda20 Registered Posts: 77
    Options
    @AbbyCarr - that's great thank you so much. I am really scared for this exam :(
  • Ree91
    Ree91 Registered Posts: 11
    Options
    @Yalda20 my decision was a contribution question, and the Budgeting was to describe a budget and the properties as such! Very similar to the practice exam questions, but I'm struggling to remember the smaller questions sorry!
  • marialucas
    marialucas Registered Posts: 49
    Options
    > @Yalda20 said:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Is anyone studying Osborne Synoptic workbook? I am struggling with Synoptic assessment 4, task 4 part 2.
    >
    > I am not sure how to work out the followings:
    >
    > 1- contribution from Order (£s)-
    >
    > 2- Contribution per hour (£s)-
    >
    > 3- hours allocated to job
    >
    > Many thanks in advance
    >
    >
    Contribution from order = £1,196 ( £2,300 - £1,104)
    Contribution per hour = £29,90 (£1,196/40h)
    Then do the same for the rest and you will see the ranking x
  • Yalda20
    Options
    Hi Marialucas,

Many thanks for your reply.

The answer in the book are:

Contribution from order = the answer from the book for council 5 = 476
    Contribution from order = the answer from the book for council 8 = 196
    Contribution from order = the answer from the book for council 17 = 294

So you do £2,300-1,104=1196 - i thought this would be the contribution?

What do you do after this step please?

Can you please give me some more details on how you have worked out the Contribution per hour (£s) too?

Contribution per hour for council 5=11.90
    Contribution per hour for council 8=14
    Contribution per hour for council 17=12.25

• Yalda20
    Options
    thanks so much Ree91
  • marialucas
    Options
    Hello Yalda.
    £1,196 -£720 (40h x £18)= £476
    £476/40h = £11.90

Sorry the first message was confusing.
    Maybe there are a different (shorter ) way to do this.
  • Yalda20
    Options
    Hi Maria,

Many thanks for your prompt response. I have forgotten all these tasks which I had revised for the MADC :(

So to get the hours allocated: I would do the following:

As council 5 has the highest contribution per order of 476 I would allocate 40 engineers hours to this.

Secondly, I would allocate 8 remaining hours to council 17 as this has the second highest contribution.

However this isnt the case in here?

They have only given 10 hours to council 5? is the book incorrect?

Thank you so much.

• Yalda20
    Options
    @marialucas

Don't worry about my question above I got it now. You base it on the contribution per hour rather than the contribution per order.

Your response really helped me as I have completely forgotten everything about MADC.

Thank you so much and all the best
  • marialucas
    Options
    I'm glad it helpedYalda20 :) Don't really feel I'll pass but we need to try our best! Good luck to everyone x
  • Esther10
    Esther10 Registered, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3
    Options
    Has anyone done the synoptic and had a preparation of consolidated statements question?? Im so nervous about sitting the paper this week and feel so unprepared even though I have used Kaplan, Osbourne and BPP resources to prepare..
  • AbbyCarr
    AbbyCarr Registered Posts: 157
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Comment removed

[A Contribution must not disclose any material from live assessments, AAT-produced or otherwise]
  • marialucas
    Options
    Please tell us more AbbyCarr, we need help! :( how was task 1? like the AAT asssissments and Osborne books? what about the ratios? where the questions hard?

Thank you so much!
  • marialucas
    Options
    *were
  • Irrorate
    Irrorate Registered Posts: 139
    Options
  • marialucas
    Options
    thank you , much appreciated :)
  • AbbyCarr
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Comment removed

[A Contribution must not disclose any material from live assessments, AAT-produced or otherwise]
  • AbbyCarr
    Options
    I'm happy to answer any questions :)
  • busydays
    busydays Registered Posts: 12
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Comment removed

• GeorgiaH
    GeorgiaH Registered Posts: 107
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Thanks @busydays for sharing that.Good luck for your results!

My synoptic is tomorrow and i am absolutely dreading it. Every single mock paper i have done i cannot do task 4 so there is 20 marks i will be losing straight away :dissapointed:

What tasks took up most of your time?
  • busydays
    busydays Registered Posts: 12
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Comment removed

• GeorgiaH
    Options
    See that is what i am worried about @busydays running out of time. I might start with my most strongest tasks (if i have any atall haha) Task 3, 5 and 6 i think i can do almost well. Task 1 the questions can be really tricky and always torn between two answers. Task 2 & 4 i dont think i have a chance passing them!
  • GeorgiaH
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Comment removed

• NatalieSarantos
    NatalieSarantos Registered Posts: 150
    Options
    Thanks for sharing @GeorgiaH
    Sounds like it went better than you thought?
    Analytic methods like what?
  • GeorgiaH
    Options
    No problem @NatalieSarantos :smile:
    Yes it did i think, i was really dreading it so i went straight to task 5 then 3 which were ok. The weaknesses were quite obvious but because the problems were 12 marks i felt myself repeating my words but hopefully it was enough to pass.
    To be totally honest i don't know about the analytic methods, i was expecting a SWOT which i had revised so was a little gutted when i seen that question with it being quite a lot of marks too. I had two different text boxes so I tried to analyse each procedure but i did not know about a method?
  • CharlotteSylvia
    CharlotteSylvia Registered Posts: 28
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Comment removed

• Sam1
    Sam1 Registered Posts: 4
    Options
    I also took the synoptic exam yesterday. It went alright, but I found questions 4 & 6 particularly difficult. I believe I had the same exam paper as you @GeorgiaH
  • GeorgiaH
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Oops my comment has been removed. Sorry AAT I thought you could discuss the layout of the exam.
    Yes @Sam1 I found them two tasks difficult as well especially because i had not seen task 6 before in that style of question.
  • CharlotteSylvia
    CharlotteSylvia Registered Posts: 28
    Options
    Whoops! Neither did I! Sorry AAT!
  • Sam1
    Sam1 Registered Posts: 4
    Options
    Me neither, I too was hoping for a SWOT on Q6... @GeorgiaH
  • rachyn2610
    rachyn2610 Registered Posts: 4
    Options
    I did the MDCL exam this week and found the paper manageable but certainly not easy. My main problem was that,as others have said, many of the questions are nothing like samples in either text books or the website. A lot of things get mixed together so it takes a while to decipher what they mean. The written questions were nice though which was a relief!

My teacher made an interesting point though. She said that she felt that AAT had tried to change too much too soon and this is likely why things have got messed up. She has all the old text books and has found that the text books for MDCL 2016 standards are virtually the same as the Financial Performance which is 2013 standards, with big chunks literally copied over including questions with mistakes! She said that they weren't given enough time to write new material. I guess this may have been some of the issue as we were unable to prepare for the types of questions that came up.

I guess I am lucky in some respects because as I took my paper later on and was already aware of the issues, it made me work my absolute butt off as I was terrified of what would come up. I have also experienced the joys of monstrous questions in university exam papers so knew not to panic so much.

With regards to the synoptic it seems that the issue is just repeating itself, the preparatory material doesn't help and because it's all new no-one seems to know what to expect or prepare for.

The whole thing has made myself and many of you as well lose faith with AAT which is a shame. From the way I see it though I don't see how it is possible for anyone, even the smartest of the bunch, to get a distinction!
Privacy Policy